Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-made Mould

Boolit Buddy

Home-made Mould

I made this "push out" style 30 caliber mould over the past couple of weeks . The cavity was cut with a half reamer or "D" bit and the bullets are ejected from the mould with a captive ejection pin/nose form which is flat at present and results in a meplat measuring .200". Boolits measure .301 inches and have been patched up to .309" , finger smeared with LLA and seated and fired . No sizing . The boolits were fired in my 7.62x39 single shot bolt action .The target shows the best results so far .

heathydee, do you have more pictures of the mold and the loaded cartridge?
    What patching technique do you use?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-20-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    heathydee, do you have more pictures of the mold and the loaded cartridge?
    What patching technique do you use?
    I have the whole build documented over at homegunsmith.com 303Guy, in the "your projects" forum where I use the same user-name. You have to register , which is free , but if you encounter problems (a lot of people do) PM me with your email address and I will send a few pictures across the Tasman .

Boolit Grand Master

Nice mould and nice targets!

I see you have made your mould from square or at least "squared" stock.

I have been making push out moulds for some time now and find they work very well especially for paper patching but I also shoot some bare full bore boolits over grease cookies and knurl some then tumble lube.

From your description I assume you have a full diameter sliding nose form. I normally do that but have also started using D bits in boolit form then with just a small ejector pin to push the boolit out.

I will have to go to homegunsmith.com to see what you have there. It is always good to see what others are doing! I am still learning lots.

Thanks for sharing.

I have posted photos of my moulds on Cast Boolits, if you are interested just do a search.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Theis mould features a small diameter ejection pin which also forms the .200" meplat Longbow. I have seen your moulds on this forum and used them for inspiration. Thanks .
    Heath

Boolit Master
    Excellent Heathydee
    Looking promising..Like to how well they go at 100yrds or more when loads and things worked up a bit.

Barra

hmm must get lathe ...must make mold....mold....

I have some molds being built by a local machine shop that have both similar and different characteristics that I will show when they are in my hand. I like the work all of you have done on your experimental molds that have been built on sound principles! I look forward to seeing the photos of the molds, raw and patched bullets, loads and targets.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Nice looking bit of kit, I'll be back in mid Sept, I'll pop around and have a close up look.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    I have uploaded a few photos , with captions, of the mould manufacture to an album on my home-page ,which is accessed by clicking on my username . Start at the last one and work your way back . I have not yet learned how to re-organise the album .

I checked out your homepage, looking good.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have the whole build documented over at homegunsmith.com 303Guy,
    Thanks, heathydee. I did have trouble but will try again.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I have Mk 2 version of the mould cut a little deeper with the same D bit and featuring a projecting ejection pin . More pictures and descriptions in an album on my profile page .

As the boys used to say, "Cool bananas!!!"

Boolit Master
    Looks good to me...hope they shoot well for you

Barra

Boolit Grand Master

heathydee:

I finally got into the home gunsmithing site to look at your post. Good write up and pictures of the mould. Very nice workmanship too.

I like the mould "holder". I have been doing something similar with the round pushout moulds. I use the 1 1/2" round as a "holder" and use 3/4" round for the mould. Then the sprue plate and handle stay with the "holder". It is very quick to make a new mould as it is 3/4" bar cut off, faced and bored.

That looks like a very good site so I will have to take a look through. Thanks for pointing us there.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Looks good to me...hope they shoot well for you

Barra
    I will be testing them later today Bruce .I wrapped up some yesterday evening and the paper dried and shrunk on overnight. They just need a bit of a wipe over with some LLA before loading .I get a good result with this weight boolit in my 94 Winchester in front of 30 grains of AR2208(Varget) , which is a mild load - 33 grains is listed as maximum ,so I will just substitute the PP boolit for the GC boolit and see what happens. Given that the 30-30 needs a crimp to hold the projectile in place because of recoil and the tube magazine conspiring together to push the boolit back into the case , and crimping a PP boolit will damage the patch, I will put a small ammount of filler between the base of the PP boolit and the powder to arrive at a 100% loading density . I usually use ground up polyethylene (Grex) for this purpose . It should help protect the base of the boolit too.

Beekeeper
    I tried to get in to the gunsmithing forum to see your post.
    No luck couldn't find anything about it so must be blocked out on this end .
    any ideas

Boolit Grand Master

Beekeeper:

Yes, you have to sign up.

I signed up but it still took several days before I cold get access.

Heathydee did an excellent write up with very good photos.

I will have to take some time to puruse the forums, it looks like a very good site.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I got out to the range and tried both the 140 grain and 173 grain boolits in my 94 Winchester . It was raining at times and a strong and gusty wind hampered things as well . I was not willing to put the Chrony out in the weather so no velocity readings were taken either . The same type and weight of powder behind the Lee 170 gn flatpoint boolit in the Winchester gives just on 2000 fps and I would guess , judging by recoil , not much difference in speed with the 173 gn PP boolit.
    I had the rifle resting on the bags with as little input from me as possible to try and minimize shooter error . By the time I had figured out that this was not working real well , I had shot off the ten rounds I had loaded with the heavier boolit. I will have to repeat this test next week . However , I had loaded five rounds with the lighter 140 grainer to test for functioning through the magazine , and once the barrel had cooled and the sun made a tentative and fleeting appearance I put these rounds through the Chrony and into the target , only this time holding the rifle firmly with both hands ; front hand resting on the bag . Using factory cartridges I can usually put five into a bit over an inch at this range so I am not too displeased with the result . The five shells were loaded into the magazine and cycled through the action and obviously the patch survived this treatment so some success was achieved for the day . The velocity of over 2100 fps was especially gratifying too . I am casting these boolits out of soft lead sweetened with some tin to improve castability without making them too hard .
    Last week I tried a penetration comparison between the Lee 150 gn FP and the 140 gn PP using wet paper-back novels ; you know the kind that hang around the house for years , which are not good enough to read again , too good to throw out , and no one wants to buy them off you . Any way , without mentioning authors ( who may be reading) , 12 inches of wet novels did not stop the Lee boolit . Nor did the plastic 2 gallon container of water behind them . That boolit came to rest in the stout tree I had used as a back-stop although in two pieces , as revealed by the two exit holes in the plastic container. The test was then repeated with the PP boolit with the boolit coming to rest in the water container . Upon impact , pieces of wet paper were thrown into the air . Not a snow-storm but still impressive . The books sustained more damage than the first ttest and the boolit had been captured in the water container . 111 grains of it were left and it had expanded into a classic mushroom shape . Both boolits were launched at around the 2100 fps mark. I will put a picture of the expanded boolit in an album on my profile page .

Beekeeper
    heathyde,
    I am a member of the homegunsmith.com forum and I still can't get into your home projects forum.
    The only thing the forum will let me have is Rodeus gunsmithing and new member .
    I have been a member there for over a year and it has always been the same.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast