Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: "Glock 21SF, any thoughts..."

Boolit Master

"Glock 21SF, any thoughts..."

I have the urge to buy a Glock 21SF. I would buy a Storm Lake barrel to shoot cast out of it, and maybe eventually, a Guncrafter Industries 50GI conversion kit for it. I have never owned a .45 ACP, so it would be another caliber to load for, which for me is good as well. I seem to enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting. I have decided it must be the best semi-auto caliber for cast bullets.

Any thoughts?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master

Go for it! I'd be interested in seeing how that .50 GI worked on it too. I won't recommend shooting cast out of a Glock barrel with so much print against it, but IF IT WERE MINE, I'd try it and see if it leads before I spent the extra $ on a barrel. Some folks use lead with complete success, especially in the.45. As you know, alloy, lube, size, pressure, powder have effect on leading.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That 50GI sounds like too much fun altogether!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

trey done a write up on the 50-gi just recently around here somewhere.

I've been shooting a 21SF in a number of IDPA matches for a while now and couldn't be more pleased. I owned a standard 21 a number of years ago and just couldn't get past the grip.

Although the difference in grip is not all that much when measured, it feels much better in the hand.

I've owned quite a few Glocks over the years, but the thought of 13 rounds of 45 ACP has always given me a warm and fuzzy.

I find that I carry it more often than anything else and there is my faith in the fact that it will work when I need it to. With the right holster(s), it is as comfortable to carry as anything else I have carried, but I tend to lean towards larger frame handguns for carrying.

I have heard issues as to the ambi mag release, but I couldn't tell you how many mag changes I have done with mine - let's just say a lot. I have never had an issue with mine. I do, however, have a spare parts kit (so easy and cheap for a Glock), so in case something does happen, no problem. I also do not keep 13+1 in the gun. With a chambered round, I keep only 12 in the magazine as I feel it is a lot of stress on the mag release and I do not feel "undergunned" with 13 rounds total.

Another "issue" with the short frame models are gouging of the trigger bar. Although this has apparently led to some failure-to-return-to-battery with the 29/30 SF's, I have had no problems with the full-size model (I believe this is due to the increased slide mass/weight, but that's just a theory I have). This also seems to happen when the shooter has a death grip on the gun and is pressing the trigger to the rear very, very hard. The friction between the slide and trigger bar, coupled with the trigger bar firing pin safety extension rubbing the bottom of the slide leads to these failures (just another theory of mine).

I do, however have a gouged trigger bar (which I have never before experience with a Glock), but after a nice polish, it has not returned. As far as I'm concerned, this is only cosmetic and is a non-issue with the 20/21 SF's.
    "Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I have never owned a .45 ACP,
    Heresy! Ban him!

You need a 45 ACP. Do it. Althoug my personal opinion is that you won't get the best out of a 45 ACP with a plastic framed gun. You need a steel frame, either a 1911 or a CZ or CZ clone.

I've got a 20SF and the stainless storm lake barrel - works great! I haven't found "the" load yet, but it does pretty good with the laser cast (I know, blasphemy!) 44-40 180 grain bullets that I had on hand. I think it'd probably do better with some sized a little bigger and of a little softer alloy...

Have to work on that..

No leading or anything though.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Moderator Emeritus

If you'd like to have a look here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=59415
    You'll see exactly what you're asking about.
    I normally don't like Glocks, at all, but this one has me very interested. The 50GI is a hoot, it's loaded to same pressures as 45acp but out performs it straight across the board.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    I agree, it is heresy. Don't ban me, I can learn. I have heard of issues about the trigger bar, and had thought about how the dual magazine release would work. To tell the truth, the idea of the Glock 21 first occurred to me when I saw the post about the 50GI here. I'll have to see if I can come up with the cash. (A four-inch Kimber is tempting, but I really would like to try the 50GI someday, and I am a Glock fan.)

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    The Glock 45 barrels are known to be lead friendly. I have a 21sf and have put only lead thru it so far (several hundred) with no issues. Other calibers arent as lead friendly with the Glock barrel. Ive tried lead thru the factory 9 and 40 barrel and never got the combinaion right to my satisfaction.

Here is a great thread on the G21 http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=11562

I have a 21SF and like it a lot. I still go back to my 1911's, but the 21SF is a fine piece. All I shoot is lead and I keep a LoneWolf barrel in it.

Boolit Master
    Finally went to the gunshop to look at a Glock 21SF again. They had a regular 21 as well. I was surprised that as far as grip size, there was not that much difference.

Pretty ingenious method of utilizing the ambidextrious mag. It uses a little piece of metal in the middle of the mag. to make it work. I am left-handed so I am looking forward to that.

Just for nothing better to do, I looked up load data for a 230 grain lead bullet in my manuals. Both my Lyman manuals have nothing over 225 grain bullets. What's up with that. Had to go to the Hornady manual for data on a 230 grain RN with Bullseye. I thought Bullseye was supposed to be the favorite powder in .45 ACP with cast boolits?

Does anyone shoot the Lee 230 grain tumble-lube truncated cone bullet out of the Glock? Does it work well?

Don't mind me, I am just babbling. My acid-reflux keeps me up at night and this forum is the best entertainment around.

exile

I have shot the 230gr Single lube groove lee bullet out of a regular G21- no issues using Unique. I'm sure the TL would work just as well.

Boolit Master
    Good to know. Thanks.

exile

I have a nearly new 21 that I considered replacing with a 21SF but, the grip while shorter feels just as wide as the 21. YMMV

I had a 21, I have a 21SF, enough said.

Boolit Master
    The price on both guns surprised me, $ 650.00. Wow! I paid $ 450.00 for my first Glock. Times change I guess.

exile