Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Trigger pull weights of different revolvers

Trigger pull weights of different pistols

I had some time on my hands and a new RCBS trigger pull scale so I did some testing:

Ruger SP101 .32 H&R with a spring kit and some smoothing by me: 2.5 lbs

S&W 27-2: 2.9 lbs

S&W 745: 4 lbs.

S&W 52-2: 1.5 lbs

S&W 629-6: 4 lbs

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with Power Custom trigger and hammer: 1.25 lbs (too light, I'm going to put in a heavier spring)

Freedom Arms 83: 4 lbs.

It's interesting how perception can influence your opinion. I would have thought the 745 was much heavier and the 27-2 was lighter. I guess it's because the 27-2 has a real "glass break" feel and the 745 is not quite as clean.

It also may be due to the position of the scale on the trigger vs where you place your finger.

The 52-2 is still the best of all.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 08-19-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: expand

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of single action and double action revolvers along with a smattering of autos, including some match pistols and single shots.

Revolvers: I have come to prefer a 3.0 lb single action trigger whether in a double or single action revolver.

9.0 lb double action triggers seem ideal for my taste.

My 1911 platform autos have 4.25 lb triggers which I prefer for action pistol shooting and self defense (do NOT want an accidental discharge whether for self defense or action shooting).

I haven't measured my S&W Model 41 - but, it's just near perfect for the job, whatever the weight is.

The position of the trigger and the width of it DOES have a strong bearing on what he PERCEIVED weight of the trigger.

The most important quality of the trigger, for me, is that it break cleanly without creep. Minimum over travel is also appreciated. Quality of the trigger pull has a "disproportionate" effect on my scores. I do MUCH better with a good trigger.

Although, I must admit that a person can learn to use a near horrible trigger. My (no longer have it) HK 91 IPSC .308 rifle was a case in point. As issued it took two hands to pull the trigger. After a professional gunsmith (and a VERY good one) worked it over extensively, it became usable, but certainly not very good (Far better than original). I learned to shoot that rifle well under a minute of an angle up to 300 yards with issue sights and what a feller could do with that, at speed, at IPSC events was a sight to behold. However, due to the handling mechanics of a rifle, a person can get by, more easily, with a marginal trigger than he/she can with a hand gun.

My handguns have been used for competition of various types including some serious hunting (not competitive but the stresses are similar). A good trigger greatly enhances the absolute pleasure in shooting a fine revolver or auto pistol, not to mention a good single shot. This also applies to long guns, of course.

I have a rifleman's back ground (competing successfully with smallbore, big bore, and BPCR Silhouette) and for rifles used on the range, a good two pound trigger is fine. I prefer 4.0 for hunting (in cold weather our fingers tend to lose sensitivity).

The absolutely best trigger I have ever used is the Anschutz small bore two stage, light pull trigger. You have the safety of a two stage trigger and can adjust the second stage to go at as little as four ounces or so. You also have the extremely quick locktime of a "straight trigger" (as opposed to the slower lock time of a double set trigger). This is a tremendous asset when shooting offhand. I have fine double set triggers on Ballard and SPA single shots and while they are quite good, the faster lock time of a Anschutz trigger is not to be disputed. My free pistol has a set trigger that is measured in ounces but it is VERY difficult to control for someone who is used to heavier triggers.

A book could be written on triggers, and their effects on the shooter...

Dale53

I have found that for me, the weight isn't so much an issue as how clean it breaks. Weight does become an issue on some guns, such as my M28 with the "hair" trigger, or the absolutely horrible pull of a Nagant, but not so much as having a very crisp break. I can adapt to a bad one, but it takes more work.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Boolit Master

Taurus Model 94, 4 inch , blue, 22lr. It had a factory DA pull of 18 lbs. That is a bit much. Too much for a 22 handgun that was built to be used in DA. It was deemed as being in spec, even though it had broken trigger return and main spring when tested to be in spec. Parts were ordered 6 months ago, still not here and TaurusUSA customer service sucks. I am working on fixing the unreal DA pull and finding a suitable and reliable set of springs. It does break cleanly if you can get it to that point.