WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Heavy cast 45/70 load

Boolit Mold

Heavy cast 45/70 load

Hi guys,would someone have a low pressure 45/70 load using 500gr plus cast bullets using H4198 ? thankyou.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    16,400 CUP at 1279 with 28gr of 4198 and a 485gr LFP isn't low enough? This is Hodgdon's minimum loading data

Using the 457124 bullet - with the lower RQ 4895 (35gr) will get you 1280fps with a 11,900 CUP

So, if you have a weak shoulder and felt recoil is an issue, switch powders and bullets
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Closest I can get is IMR-4198, 28 grs. is listed as between 1,107 to 1,244 fps. depending on bbl. length with a 500 gr. boolit. Listed for Trapdoors.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range
    You might want to look at some different powers. I am sure you know that the large bullet is from where most of your recoil originates. A lighter bullet or different powder. For a plinking load you might consider using something like 12 - 14 grains of Unique. DOUBLE CHECK THE AMOUNT OF POWDER - I AM IN THE HOUSE AND MY RELOADING LOG IS OUT IN THE SHOP. I have seen several loads mentioned in various places including this fine site, that have recommended Unique, Red Dot and 2400 all for light loads. You might want to do some research in that area.

One last thing. It would appear from reading multiple manuals (10 - 12) that IMR-3031 generates almost the LEAST amount of CUP pressure. I shoot IMR-3031 in a Remington Rolling Block # 5, converted to .45-70 with a .500 grain Lee Spitzer-Type cast boolit and I think the load is somewhere around the mid 30's (33 -35 grains) again - DON'T QUOTE ME. MY RELOADING DATA IS OUT IN THE SHOP.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Thanks - Sniper Chief

Boolit Bub
    I'm new to this form but have been shooting for over 40 years. I've been shooting the 45/70 for 33 years. I'd agree, IMR 3031 works really well with heavy cast bullets and would be my go to powder. Another dandy powder is 4759. Dave

Boolit Master

..or Trail Boss.

Boolit Mold beautriz66@yahoo.com's Avatar

another powder

Anyone have a problem with reloder 7? Seen lots of 45/70 loads for it, from mild to bbd ( burn, blind, deafen)...

Boolit Mold
    i use re7 in my tc 14 406 with 47grs is a real thump er but a case full of pyrdoex p and a 300 graineris sissy load. but fun