RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: 1891 Argentine w/LER scope mount

Boolit Master

1891 Argentine w/LER scope mount

You'll notice I don't use the term "scout scope" as that's not what I do. I make long eye relief scope mounts for military bolt action rifles. The mounts I make don't require any modifications to the rifle.

The last few weeks I've been busy in the machineshop churning out some mounts for different rifles. This one I was anxious to try as the rifle itself is in excellent condition, all matching # made in 1892.

(I hope the large photo size isn't a problem)

This is the sliding anchor for the 1891 Argentine. This same method of anchoring would be used on the 1889 Belgian Mauser, 1890 Turkish Mauser, 1893 Spanish Mauser and 1895 Chilean Mauser. What makes the 1891 Argentine a little different and easier is the lacking of a handguard around or behind the rear sight.

This is the rear sight base "insert". In this case the insert actually straddles the rear sight base and protects it from damage.

I use a NcStar Marlin rail as its flat and has 4 holes already and is just a more expedient and economical method of making these mounts. The NcStar rail costs $5.60 each. Its held in place by three 8-36 sockethead cap screws, one 8-40 Weaver torx screw into the sliding anchor and two 1/8" steel dowel pins. Through the ladder ears is the original ladder pin that acts as the recoil shoulder.

Boolit Master

Today I was able to test fire the 1891 Argentine Mauser rifle.

The scope is a NcStar 2-7x32. This is the first use of this scope and I have to say I like it. To appreciate the NcStar handgun scopes you have to mount them so you have a repeatable sight picture. These NcStar don't have a really long eye relief. Scopes with much longer eye relief like 18"+ need to be positioned much further forward. But this mount I make allows enough rearward scope position as to be really nice for repeatable sight pictures... as I found out today.

I had to get the scope dialed in the hard way. The 5 shots on the right were the first on paper. The 5 shots on the left were a little better grouped with 3 going into one hole and the universal flyer.

This rifle is capable of one hole groups at 50 yards with this bullet and load. Lyman 311299 sized .312" 200 grains. I've not slugged the bore on this rifle but it shoots real good with this load. Today was scope testing day not so much target shooting day.

I was pleased, very pleased with the scope position and the sight picture. At 7x it was crystal clear and easy to keep the crosshairs in the bullseye.

The mount was a great success. My shooting needs practice!

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Really nice work, another really solid looking, no-drill mount.

I have the NCstar 2-7X pistol scope on a K31 and for a REALLY cheap scope it
    will hold good groups and tracks the adjustments decently - I do whack the
    turret area with my swiss army knife a few times after each turret adjustment
    to help it settle into place. May not be necessary but doesn't cost anything and
    may save me some ammo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Looks nice. Any chance you could make me one for my 1891 Turk?

Boolit Mold
    Awesome setup!!!
    Do you have any scope mounts for sale?
    I would love to have one

Boolit Grand Master

Scout scope base

I modified a Leupold base to fit my M91 rear sight base. Works with the old 3X Burris Scout scope. I call her "Evita". She can be readily converted back but since she was "sprterized" for sale here in the States many years ago I'm not worried about it. The scope sits low as a "scout" scope should and is very quick and accurate to use. The Dutchman's method would be better on an original M91 for scope use.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 145066Attachment 145067
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful job on the mount. Could you make one for the AK? If you could make it work for the scout scope I think it would sell. There are some but they are weak and dont give the correct eye relief.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I modified a Leupold base to fit my M91 rear sight base. Works with the old 3X Burris Scout scope. I call her "Evita". She can be readily converted back but since she was "sprterized" for sale here in the States many years ago I'm not worried about it. The scope sits low as a "scout" scope should and is very quick and accurate to use. The Dutchman's method would be better on an original M91 for scope use.

Larry Gibson
    That looks perfect on that rifle. Ill bet she can make hits at ranges that would surprise most people.

Boolit Grand Master

You would win that bet

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I had Dutchman make me one of these mounts, must be a newer version since the scope on mine sets lower. Use the same scope and it really works well.
    The lower the scope sets the less effect canting will have on the group.

Dutchman makes nice soild mounts.

Larry..Your rifle looks just like mine. Was the front end of the barrel turned down after being shortened to take the original front sight? Mine was and darn good work also. I have had mine a few years and have not fired it yet. I have the dies and brass, but not the round tuit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Larry..Your rifle looks just like mine. Was the front end of the barrel turned down after being shortened to take the original front sight? Mine was and darn good work also. I have had mine a few years and have not fired it yet. I have the dies and brass, but not the round tuit.
    Yes, the fron of the barrel was turned down after shortening so the original milsurp band fit. I modified the front band's base to take an M14 front sight because that is the sight picture I like best. I did the recrown BTW. The 7.65 is an excellent cartridge.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-08-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Does the Dutchman ever return to this site? I live in the next ​county to him and have been looking for a scope mount for my 91 mauser that I have been trying to put back in use.

Boolit Grand Master

Dutch does show up on once in awhile but last I knew he was not making the mounts any longer. S&K Mounts make 2 versions for the 91. One is for the long sight on the rifles and the other is for the short sight on the carbines. Not as low as Dutch makes but they are good solid mounts.

In Remembrance

I would be willing to pay for one as well.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by exknightrider View Post
    Does the Dutchman ever return to this site? I live in the next ​county to him and have been looking for a scope mount for my 91 mauser that I have been trying to put back in use.
    Dutchman returns to this website nearly DAILY!

But, its true I'm not making anymore. I got bored to death with the repetition. I much prefer doing the designing and making the prototype to doing production. The future belongs to CNC not manual milling machines.

That being said, I've long wanted to make a better and LOWER mount for the m/1891 Argentine Mauser.

exknightrider: about September/October contact me through the forum if you're willing to come over and spend about 4 hours in the shop I'll make you a mount for your m/1891. We'll do two at the same time so I can finally get the new design going.

Another one I've been putting off is for the German Commission Gewehr 1888. Nice thing is the rear sight of the Gew88 is identical to the m/1891 Mauser, not necessarily dimensionally identical but design-wise. They're not the best rear sight for a LER scope mount but they're both doable.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    Dutchman, did you guys development a newer m/1891 Mauser Argentine mount? I've been looking for a while but heard you made the best through several forums although no longer doing them. If you made a new mount I'd like to see some pics if you guys got together. I have (2) of them and my dad has my grandpa's he used to deer hunt with but been looking for a mount for only the already sporterized one. The other I'm keeping original. Long ago my grandpa had someone install rings but looks like a hack job. Thanks!