Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Thinkin of building an AR-10,

Boolit Master

Thinkin of building an AR-10,

Well I am thinkin about building an AR-10, Looking for any useful tips, parts sources and ideas.

Boolit Grand Master

Unlike the AR15 their is multiple mags that are not interchangeable. Since the M110 came out the SR25/M110 mags seem to be the most popular to base a rifle on.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lding-a-308-AR
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-31-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Unlike the AR15 their is multiple mags that are not interchangeable. Since the M110 came out the SR25/M110 mags seem to be the most popular to base a rifle on.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lding-a-308-AR
    I was thinking along those lines, like a PSA build

Boolit Master
    If you think you might ever want a second one, consider buying a 80% kit from Brownells...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    If you think you might ever want a second one, consider buying a 80% kit from Brownells...
    I have been thinking along that route but i dont have the drill press or milling machine or the jigs. and the cost of those would be a bit much right now.

With the higher cost of the AR 10 it makes some of the calibers like 6.5 Grendel more appealing in the cheaper AR 15 package.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    With the higher cost of the AR 10 it makes some of the calibers like 6.5 Grendel more appealing in the cheaper AR 15 package.
    Thought about that and .300 blackout but dont want to have the wife confuse the mags, that and most are 16in barrels

For myself personally as I have looked into the AR-10 platform greatly and to be honest the main reason I have chosen not to go that rout is simply for the fact that the AR-10 platform is not standardized. Even though most talk about Magazines as one of these small problems not to mention the cost of the correct magazines that are needed. And then there are many reviews about there reliability.

So for a Battle Rifle in .308 I would look further into the PTR-91 or a good FAL. As they are proven designs. But that is just me.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    the ptr91 and FAL are very hard on brass, if you reload you won;t like what the Hk/ Ptr 91 does to that brass, FALs I have seen rip the brass out so hard it can screw up the bases.
    Have not seen that with any ar-308 build yet. NOT all fals just the couple I saw where dang hard on bases, but since the guy did not reload he did not care or even pick it up...must be nice!

IF you go with PSA , make sure to match top and bottom- there are some reports that the PSA will fit on the DPMS lower but not all shooters have found that they will function 100% of the time- FIT yes FUNCTION NO-
    They 'PSA' recommends you use their upper with their lower and will not stand behind anything else if used other wise- I know, I just talked to them 2 weeks back

6.5 G is a great round and fill the gap between the 556 and the 308- you can stay with smaller AR frame and have something you can go back and forth- .556- 6.5 ,even get some pistol uppers too..
    Look up the ballistics on the 6.5 and you will see is drops the 556 way behind and flatter shooting that 308, tons of penetration even at 800-1000yds, Not doing that with the 556 - and cheaper to shoot that 308 too..

Boolit Buddy
    I listen to a podcast at work called AR-15 podcast. They had someone on there not long ago from an AR-10 site that would work with people to help them but compatible parts. Aside from the magazines that are not standardized a lot of the other parts won't mix and match either.

Boolit Buddy
    main reason to stick to one brand upper and lower.
    or get built units close to what you want and then change it if needed

Building them is not for newbies, finding that out my self- but can be done-

it's s gun, don;t assume anything, if you don't know for sure - it's not worth the risk, buy built up items --matched --and go shoot
    still +100 and the 6.5g or also NOW called 2.64 Les Bear?? yes it will fit and shoot --call them and ask, don't take my word

It's funny to hear folks talk about all the "other" AR15 calibers, I've got 3(300blk, 7.62x39, 50beo). People talk like 6.5grendel or six8 are the second coming, they still aren't really effective as we want them too be, sure Grendel can reach 1k yards, but the bullet had to do something when it gets there other than hit steel or paper(for me at least). This is why I built a dpms LR308 pattern rifle in 260rem with 20" Hart barrel, when it gets to 1k, it's got a bit more steam on it. It wasn't cheap, but it'll shoot 1/2moa 10shot groups and I don't have to max out elevation on my scope to shoot at distance. I make all the brass from LC brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, reason I have a 16 and 20 inch barrels for the DPMS 308-
    the 6.5 in 18'' for stuff bigger than coyote and smaller than Elk...

but it's about shot placement. 22mag can hurt you but not at 600 yds...
    Mission dictates caliber but if I had ONE caliber , one rifle it would be 308-

no replacement for displacement as I was told by old shooting coach, he said for shooting people he would never use the 22 (556) it was junk and got too many of his buddies killed or wounded , 308 stopped every one he sent a projectile to....sometime he would give extra lead to make sure they did not get back up...

still I am a fan of two center- 1 or 2 more head--or 1-2 head and watch for the spray out the back..
    sorry if 'graphic'

Boolit Buddy
    what about 6.5 Creedmor???

Boolit Master
    the 6.5 may be an idea, I need to do more research.