Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling cast buckshot?

Boolit Bub

Tumbling cast buckshot?

Can you use a vibratory tumbler or do you need a rotary tumbler? What are you "home-made buckshot" folks using?

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I use a rotary tumbler; .......but that is only because I made it myself, and a rotary is simple to fabricate.

I am reasonably sure that a vibratory unit would also do a good job of "finishing up" buckshot.

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Buddy

I tried a vibratory with no luck they just sat in the bottom and did not circulate to made them rounder or to coat them. Use a rotary you will be happy you did. I coat mine with ultra fine graphite 2 days and no sprue nice and round and ready to blast away with. Oh yea I was using a Lee .311 ball mold. Casting out for straight alloy no tin or soft lead added and man do they do a job on a car. 10 pellets is about 1 oz.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I use a cement mixer got to have alot to get them to run good but i also used it for my shot. I think you may be better off just making you something to roll them in how fancy is up to you.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy_Guns View Post
    Can you use a vibratory tumbler or do you need a rotary tumbler? What are you "home-made buckshot" folks using?
    I have had good luck with a vibratory tumbler.

I put the shot in a medium sized plastic peanut butter jar along with some moly and steel BB's.

I get the best action with all media removed from tumbler, I let it run for a few hours.

In my tumbler the jar will make counter clockwise revolutions as well as vibrate.

I used a glass jar once but it was to loud, worked just a well.

Do a little experimenting, I bet you will find something that works for you.

good luck

Boolit Bub
    I tried the Do-it mold last night, and I don't think I'm going to have much luck with my little 10# bottom pour Lee production pot. I tried for 15 minutes and couldn't get the mould to fill out, even with the heat cranked all the way up. I guess I'll have to ladle pour these.

Boolit Mold
    I just use a jar in the back of the car. Add a 1/4" bit of pencil lead and let them roll around for a few days. Smooth, round and lubricated. dmen

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Wow! ......Do I feel stupid!!!

I never thought of using pencil lead as a source of graphite!! (DUH!)

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Buddy
    DMen,

I'm glad you posted this...I was afraid someone would laugh at me so I never suggested it online. I've been doing the same thing with my buckshot. I fill a plastic jar about 3/4 full, duct tape the cover on, and let it roll around the back of my pick up for awhile. While not perfect, the sprues do get worn off and the shot is much rounder. I think I will add some pencil lead next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Diehard

Boolit Grand Master

A rounding mill is easy to make or have made and then you end up with round shot and no sprues. All it is is a drill press attachmnet the has a rimmed plate at the bottom and a plate at the top that is spun by the press. You put in you round balls, start the drill press and lower the quill and the rotating top plate spins the balls perfectly round. Mine is 6" in diameter and I do 20-30 balls at a time depending on size.

@KCS0;

That sounds interesting! .....I am going to have to play around with that!

Do the plates have any "surface detail" or are they just smooth?

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Buddy

Not to be insulting to any one but man this is redneck engineering at its best. I love it. best stuff I have seen yet.
    Last edited by madman; 08-19-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Boolit Bub
    Put a hole in the side and turn up the RPM's and you will have copied the infamous "DRED gun". Just google it, you'll laugh until it hurts... I want to see a DRED-equipped vehicle try to take a corner with the thing spun up.

How long does it take your rounding mill to do a batch? Sounds like it'd go pretty quick.

Boolit Mold
    can you tell me how you made your rounding mill? I'm hoping you used off-the-shelf parts so I can make one myself.

Boolit Buddy
    ! used a cast iron fry pan 8" and a 5/8 steel disk 7" I brought the steel disc home years ago when i was a machinist, I just spin it by hand heck its on ball bearings...

Wish I'd realized that!

Pencil lead for graphite. That is a brillant idea. Pencils are such a throw away item these days. I use them at the office cause I can always pick them up. Its the pens that everyone wants.

Thats also a neat idea about putting them in the trunk.

I'll throw out another idea.

I use a rounded glass wine jug. One of those Carlos & Rossi ones with the ring handle at the top. You have to drink the wine to empty the jug.

It is noisy though when you roll that buck around. I do this in the garage. My Wife, in the house, says it sounds like a kid shaking a piggy bank full of coins, non stop.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    Can sombody post a pic of a rounding mill..

Boolit Mold

Pencil lead

I use a gallon paint can that rolls around the back of my pickup and a shot of Graphite spray from Farm and Fleet.
    How much pencil lead do you use and how do you open the pencils to save it?
    Thanks
    dwdw

I made a rotary tumbler out of an old cloths drier that the heating element had burned out on that I picked up for twenty bucks. I just cut the wires to the heating element and stubbed them off and then removed the plastic fins on the inside of the metal drum and filled the holes for the bolts that attached the plastic flapper fins to the inside of the drumb with smooth head small size carriage bolts with teflon insert lock nuts on the outside of the drum.

Just open the door and dump in a bucket of round balls or buck shot and then set the timer button on the top for how long I want to tumble them and push the start button and it even has a buzzer that sounds when the cycle is done so that I can change out for the next batch.

Works like a charm, noisy as heck though. Sounds like someone dumped a dump truck load of marbles on a slanted roadway and they are all rolling and bouncing down the road together. More rolling sound then bouncing or rattling sound in my rig but that is probably because mine has such a big drum size. That big old cloths drier has a drum that is like three foot diameter.

Boolit Master
    Wet tumbling for a few hours in a Lortone rock tumbler leaves hard cast buckshot (.32" to .60") smooth and round.
    Last edited by RMc; 09-19-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: clarify

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast