Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: My new (and first) levergun

My new (and first) levergun

So I just picked up my new Marlin 1894CSS from the dealer today. I was one of the lucky dozen or so to get one of the first batch R&R had.

So far I have to mimic what a number of people have been saying on various forums about them, that is that they are a sweet rifle that may need a little TLC to work in. I've noted that many of the machined edges are sharp and have burrs on them and that the action seems to be a bit stiff. I'll be able to fix the burrs with some time/diamond files but about the action, is it normal to be stiff in leverguns or is it just due to being new?

Oh, and here's a picture of it.

Boolit Master
    Go over to marlinowners.com and there are several threads/links on tuning your rifle...good site to visit once in awhile too. (Read up on "the dreaded MARLIN JAM.") OR remove the obvious burrs on non-crictical areas and annoy SWMBO (significant other) by cycling your EMPTY rifle while watching TV or a movie. A little gun oil and cycling will clean it up nicely. DOUBLE CHECK RIFLE TO BE EMPTY!!!

The Cowboy Action Shooter gunsmiths can work miracles on MARLINS, but they can get carried away with disabling the safeties and too light a hammer fall in search of ultra-light triggers. "If it doesn't go BOOM every time, it needs fixin'!"

Thanks for the info. I probably won't take it to a gunsmith if I can help it. I'll just work the action for a while and see what that gets me. I took it apart a bit ago and cleaned then re-oiled everything as I put it back together. Seemed a little smoother but was still stiff at a couple places.

Boolit Master
    I have several Marlin 94s and have had good luck with all of them. Read up on prevention of the "Marlin Jam" All it takes is a little radius on a sharp edge of the operation lever to prevent it from digging into the lifter. I fixed mine and have not had any problems. Stiffness goes with wear.

Boolit Master

Get a Wolf replacemant main spring and a lot of the stiffness will go away
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

As soon as I learned to not use semi-wadcutter bullets, my 1894P has been a smooth and flawless performer. The SWC shoulder hits the feed ramp and catches there, causing a jam. I cast and use round nose flat points with no problem. I think the RNFPs were made popular by the cowboy action shooters. Enjoy your new rifle, they are sweet little things.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Yeah, I just got 500 rounds of cowboy load RNFP and when I get around to reloading I'm planning on starting with the Lee 358-158-RNFP.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watkibe View Post
    As soon as I learned to not use semi-wadcutter bullets, my 1894P has been a smooth and flawless performer. The SWC shoulder hits the feed ramp and catches there, causing a jam. I cast and use round nose flat points with no problem. I think the RNFPs were made popular by the cowboy action shooters. Enjoy your new rifle, they are sweet little things.
    I have the CSS octagon barrel in 45 Colt and have no problems feeding any style bullet. I can't speak for one in 357, but I've had other levers in 357 and they fed every style reliable too. You just have to try a few test round and see.

Joe

I have an 1894P, the "baby guide gun" in 44 mag. It likes the Lee 210 RNFP.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

have on hand a good fitting screwdrive when shooting.Marlins will quit working when and if some screws work loose.I've seen them stop running at matches when a screws on the side was just a tad loose,they guns are pretty precisely built it seems.
    Cranking it while watching tv will loosen it up a bit,but it takes many many cranks.I don't pulll the trigger,I never dry fire a gun.I just crank the lever.
    Let us know how you like it,I sure like my leverguns.Heck,leverguns is all I own !

So I worked the lever a couple hundred times (or so it seemed). Took it apart. Cleaned it. Went over every piece of metal that had wear marks with a hard stone to polish them, as well as the part they were touching. Oiled it, and put it back together. It's smoother but still seems to stick on 1 spot when the lever is closing about 1/3 of the way down. I'm going to rack it a couple hundred more times then take it apart again. I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.