RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best lube & sizer

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    .....Currently, I have a Lee's push-thru sizer kit but I found out that the punch that came with it cannot fit into my Dillon 550B. So, I'd be forced to buy an el cheapo $28 Lee single stage press to make this work, together with extra shell holders.

Thanks!
    The Lee punch goes in the press ram in the shell holder slot, not in a shell holder.

Boolit Master
    I absolutely agree, Star sizer, WL red carnauba lube...the Star is much faster and more precise, lubes and sizes in one motion(not like the Lee) and doesn't require all the diff. nose punches(not like the Lyman/RCBS). I have 7 sizers set up and 3 are Stars and use the Stars even for small jobs whenever possible, I only use the other brands if I don't have the required Star die.

Boolit Mold
    I have found the vintage reloading equipment to be the best if you can still get your hands on it. It just seems to be better built than newer equipment. I just got into reloading and casting within the past year, and I was given a vintage Lyman #45 lubrisizer. I have several thousand boolits through it already with zero issues, not to mention how many thousands were through it before I got it. The nice part is that all modern sizing dies, top punches, etc. still fit my sizer. For lube I am using my home made recipe of 47% Beeswax, 47% Alox 350, and 6% Carnauba Wax. Flows through it without heat, with zero issues. I guess you can say I am a sucker for old equipment as I am also using a 1950's era Pacific Super C press for reloading as well. They just dont build stuff like that anymore. Just my .02

I would definitely take a look at Lyman's master casting kit, for just a little more money you can get the luber with a mold, book, casting pot, ladle. If you sell off the other stuff you can get a cheaper brand new luber.

I think the star is nice, but there's some more cost in buying one.

Do what fits your budget best and also your shooting habits best.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 4500 with a heater?

I have only been into rifle and handgun casting for a couple years. I started casting minies and maxies in the early 70's with a Lyman pot and dipper. I moved up to a Lee 20 pound bottom pour eventually. (Don't bother with the little 10 pounder.) It's is just easier to do in the basement. I smelt wheel weights with a dutch oven in the garage with the front and rear overhead doors open.

I think that the best deal is the Lyman 4500, since it is easiest to stick a heater on if you eventually want to go that way. The 4500 and its cartridge heater is the easiest to put heat to with its factory cartridge insert hole in its thick sole plate.

The difference between the Lyman and RCBS seems nill in most ways, and both use the same top punches, and dies. This makes them cheap, and easier to get.
    Also, I like the way that the Lyman's lube crank works. You can use it from either hand, and because of the little ratch handle it is always "located" in a convenient position. I may be nuts on this, since I've never seen an RCBS but in pictures, and never had a chance to play with one.

I now am playing with Blue Angle, which needs a heater, and am glad I made the choice I did. I have more options: cheaper and easier. I used to use Lyman Alox 50/50 soft lube in it. I am now trying Blue Angle melted in a can with one tablespoon full of STP melted in it on a warm stove burner, mixed, and poured into the machine melted. It works good. I've got some White Label Carnuba Red to try next.

I might try cutting it with some old Dexron ATFII left over from topping off my last car, or I just bought a small bottle of Stihl HP Ultra Fully Synthetic 2 cycle oil. I paid $3.85 for a 6.4 ounce bottle. How many table spoons is that?

After all: this is my hobby. The more I putter - the happier I am trying to improve it.

After all: I'm too old, too poor, and too fat, for good desireable women. I'm probably better off with this stuff anyway. Right? At least thats what some people wink and tell me....

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and have fun.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman 4500 and have now for more than ten years. It's just the first lubesizer that I got with the Lyman Master casting Kit. I use the pin type heater and White Label Carnuba Red. It works in 41 Magnum and 44 Special in both my Blackhawks. I've also loaded for several TC Contender calibers and shot them with good success.

Casting Timmy pretty much said it, do what your budget lets you. Sure, there's a lot of team spirit for any brand out there but, the decision is still your own. The Lyman 4500 isn't extremely beefy and doesn't like to be forced. I use a little Rem spray oil and mica to start bullets if the die is new and tight. But, other than that, I'd do it all again. I bought that kit twice, as a matter of fact.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Mold
    Since the Star is no longer being made, how accessible are different dies, etc. to purchase?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by f18hornet View Post
    Since the Star is no longer being made, how accessible are different dies, etc. to purchase?
    The Star is still in production and dies are available from the manufacturer. There are members on this forum that make and sell dies and punches as well.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Lathsmith makes punch nuts with set screws once the punch is at the correct depth you tighten the set screw and it is always set to the proper depth.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I went from pan lubing with a cake cutter ,to a lee sizer , then to a magma star lube sizer . I only cast for pistols as of now 9mm,357, 45 acp I use the same top punch at the same slitting just push out the sizer dies and swap for another. I do not have all the bells and fancy stuff on it ,but I love it for the speed and no more mess ,my wife aprishated the no mess more than me. I have never had a lyman, rcbs or seaco to compare to it, but I was in the market for a lyman 45 at first but thay were going for half the price of my magma star .I am unshore about cast rifle but would be surprised if the star has a problem with them . I have not tried gas checks so no telling on that . I can lube thousands with out gitting sick of doing them ,I could not do that with my cake cutter but it worked as a starting set up could get a few hundred lubed and sized. It is all about the volume you expect. If it works for you start with it you can get another later.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I pan lubed for a couple of years and then lucked into a nearly new Star. It's quite a leap in production, I'll tell ya!

and for lube, only two.... RandyRat's TAC-X and White Label Carnauba Red. Those do it all.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    The Star is still in production and dies are available from the manufacturer. There are members on this forum that make and sell dies and punches as well.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/
    Two sources had told me they were no longer in business. That they are is great to know. Thank you.
    One has a unit for to sell. It needs cleaning up well. He told me it is set up to do 38 Special. Has no heating plate.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two RCBS LAMIs that I use most often. Both have White Label Lubes in them. One has 2500+ and the other Carnauba Red. They are great for small batches since setup is a breeze.

Have a Star w/ all the bells and whistles. Use it for high volume pistol bullets. It's great if you're doing a lot of the same bullets. Swapping over is fairly easy but it takes time to get it adjusted properly. This one has Carnauba Red in it.

Recently bought a full compliment of NOE push through bushing sizers. I will use these for bullets I coat w/ BLL. I have a strong feeling this will become my main source of sizing. BLL has worked great in everything I've tried it in. And push through sizers are fast and concentric.

Boolit Grand Master

It may not be the best but after getting disgusted with the mess I made pan lubing , about 1969 or 1970 I bought a Lyman 450.
    Still using it and have replaced nothing on it. I cast and reload for many different handguns and rifles. Easy to change dies.
    I think the Lyman is the best money I have ever spent on any reloading tool.
    I would get another today if starting out. You can always up grade or buy another if your needs warrant it.
    Gary

Le Loup Solitaire
    The best lubrisizer is the one that does what you want and need that you enjoy using. My first one was a SAECO with the black crinkle finish and it worked so well for me that eventually I bought a second and later model with green crinkle finish. Both worked well for me for many years. The sizing dies were expensive and so were the top punches. They were well built and no parts or seals ever wore out. I did have an adapter made so that I could use top punches made by Lyman and RCBS as those were more economical. I did like the fact that both units used solid stick lubes. LLS

I own a RCBS LAM II. This is my second one. Gave the first to my buddy. I really like it. It does everything I want t to do. Lyman and Saeco make good ones too. I would say from what I hear that Star is the best. If you got the $$$ buy a Star. If you are financially challenged the other three brands I mentioned would do you good.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Master
    When i started out three years ago, I bought a Lyman 4500 new from Cabelas. Thought it was great. Its still a good machine, but it was just a little slow for shooting 1500-2000 9mm a month. I bought a star and use the lyman very sparingly. Took an hour or two to get the star up and running but once you understand it and have your dies, its simple to switch calibers. I get all my sizing and lubing done for the month in an hour or two. No air feed, just the standard star. Worth the money.

Boolit Buddy
    "I pan lubed for a couple of years and then lucked into a nearly new Star. It's quite a leap in production, I'll tell ya!

and for lube, only two.... RandyRat's TAC-X and White Label Carnauba Red. Those do it all."

Curious as I am NEW. What is the difference between the two performance wise??
    (Very interested in getting a good lube for indoor 9mm shooting)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12