PBcastcoLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: how many pounds in a 5gal bucket?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that all I do is look. I use a pair of side cutters to indent the weight in question. Zinc won't indent easily. Lead will. Use the side cutters and you won't wonder which is which.

John
    W.TN
    I guess I could have edited my last post but thought more would see it if I submitted a new post. I have to back off on my self-righteous statement on the use of side cutters. After going through about 150# of WW, I find myself being less and less critical of the clip ons. I still use them occasionally but it sure does slow down the sorting process. I have a thermometer and keeping the temperature below 700ºF should keep all the zinc out of my alloy. It seems to have worked in the past although I didn't examine the weights that were fished out with the clips. If there is disagreement on this, I would appreciate hearing it.

The volume of iron or steel (Fe) weights doesn't seem as much as I originally thought. There seems to be more lead stick-ons than I used to find.

I should have plenty of WW ingots for my friend.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Finally finished sorting the 3 buckets of WW. Ended up with approx. 400# of clip on WW, 50# of stick ons and about 20# of steel(Fe), zinc and other non lead material(lug bolts, etc.). I doubt there was more than 1 or 2 lbs of various rubber items. These were some of the cleanest WW I've seen in sometime.

John
    W.TN

stephen perry

I Do Same as Alamogunr

I do same with WW. Generally my 5 gallon bucket of car tire WW weigh 140-150lb.
    When I get a bucket of truck wheel ww generally the 1 lb type the buckets weigh 100+. My melting temps stay below 700 more like 675. I have two trays and drop lead fast from my Saeco bottom pour. Probably have 400 bars and 5/6 5 gallon buckets of weights to melt, 200 lb of pure lead, and 4 antimony bars the 45 lb type. I have a tire shop that does car and big truck. have no problem getting a bucket full every 3/4 months, case of beer does the trick.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Bub
    lucky you guys. I just bought a 5 gallon pail that was 3/4 full and weighed 90 lbs. Only got ~55 lbs of lead out of it and paid 50$ for it...

Boolit Master

How much does a bucket full of WWs weigh, a lot.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Just sorted about 8 gal. worth of ww. seemed to me that it was near 50% junk. about +/-11 lbs of pure stick on type, perhaps 50 lbs. of clip on good ww. But it was free, so can not really complain.

Boolit Master

Any body have any idea how much a 5 galon bucket of lead shot would weigh. I have been told I can buy a 55 galon drum at .80 lb and the drum will weigh between 2000 and 2500 lb so per the math between 180 to 225 lb roughly.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

The last couple time I went to pick up weights the take was mostly junk.
    In all about
    11lbs good weights,
    1/2 lb lead stick on,
    2lb iron clip and stick on.
    1 lb rubber stick on,
    4 zinc weights.
    Volume wise there was lots more paper, and unusable junk than good.
    Like Boom Boom said "it was free", but hardly worth the gas and getting my hands filthy for it.

stephen perry

Lead Shot in 5 Gallon Bucket

farmer
    This 5 gallon bucket yarn gets better each time I read it. I haven't done this yet but I will. I have 8-10 bags of shot maybe 12 or 14 somewhere. If I tuck the shot bags, probably 6 , 2 in the middle, into the 5 gallon bucket and lay a couple 3 or 4 on top that would give me 10 bags of 25 lb shot, say 300 lbs of near lead shot, a little antimony and arsenic added to boot.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master

I was wondering if any had any idea what shot weighed to the cubic foot. I know this has some dirt and small stones in it, It is range recovery and I wanted to get some for shotgun reloading.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    HI,
    AS the shot would have much less air space I am sure wt. would exceed 100lbs. easily.

BOOM BOOM is thinking along the right lines , as I slowly collect ww's and carefully weed out the ....# ! from the real lead....once in a while a large truck weight but mostly smaller car weights .
    As a result the density in a five gal bucket much more so , filled to the top , level , I get 180 lbs per bucket .
    (sure as heck ain't moving that one !)...
    digger

Boolit Master

results of the great 2010 smelt

HI,
    Well just finished #2 project on this summers list. #1 was cut & stack 12 cords of firewood. Finished that on Tues.
    So today was out of house by 6:30 A.M. drove up mt. built campfire, from about 3 -5 gal. buckets 90% full I got about 150lbs. of TW Pb.

I got half a bucket today, after sorting out Fe's and Zn's it came to about 70 pounds

lead on the left.. rubbish on the right. longneck is for sizing.. was thirsty work

I used a pair of pliers to test indent on any unkowns, fairly time consuming but what the hell... beer and a movie and a whole lotta lead
    Last edited by DeadHandRed; 10-01-2010 at 08:06 AM.

wheel wheights 5 gallons weighed 224lbs

Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    About how many pounds are in a full 5 gal bucket of WW?

i know it will vary somewhat with the size of the weight / clips, and of course the amount of stems / junk, but does anyone have a good average or "rule of thumb"?

i asked my 2 local tire stores today, both want $10 / gal of weights. i.e. 5gal = $50
    not so sure that's a good deal

thanks

LB
    i have gotten some good wheelweights one bucket weighed 224 lbs all clip on weights all lead .... but average mix is @ 170- 180 lbs ... and now in kalifornia it is @ 30 percent lead and dwindeling fast, as the lead is now illegal the tire stores have given me the weights , and i recycle the fe or steel wheel weights, and the zn or zinc , and use the hammer on lead for magnum loads, water quenched ,... and the stick on , lead only for soft bullets or slug in the 12 ga. and if i shot black powder ,which i dont too messy , and for subsonic loads

the softer lead works well

sorry if i carried on too much

save the zinc

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHandRed View Post
    I got half a bucket today, after sorting out Fe's and Zn's it came to about 70 pounds

lead on the left.. rubbish on the right. longneck is for sizing.. was thirsty work

I used a pair of pliers to test indent on any unkowns, fairly time consuming but what the hell... beer and a movie and a whole lotta lead
    i save the zinc cast it in ingots and sell it to toy casters (e bay )or make fishing weights but mark them well so none go in the bullet pot . bad... my 2 c's worth

badbobgerman, yeah since then ive made about 20 decent 'zinkers', i give them to a guy at work who fishes. recycling is so satisfying

Boolit Bub

use for zinc?

don't NSSA cannon shoot cast zinc projectiles? dave
    "From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks" JESUS

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a bucket of WW for .50 per pound at a scrap metal yard and pure lead for .75 per pound not to bad,my son just found a place where he got WW for .20 per pound and I put my order in with my son!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast