WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: how many pounds in a 5gal bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightflyer View Post
    If it were me, I'd start with a seam ripper and just tear one apart, then go from there. Where the heck did you score used lead aprons??

Update: I did a search and found this on HPS.org: Protective clothing worn by radiographers contains lead and often other metals (e.g., tin, tungsten, antimony, barium) to shield the wearer from radiation. These metals are homogeneously mixed with synthetic rubber or polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Between two and five thin sheets of metal-impregnated rubber/PVC are placed between sheets of nylon fabric coated with urethane on the side against the lead-impregnated rubber/vinyl. The materials are cut into a pattern and sewn together to form the protective garment. The manufacturers of these garments vary the number of sheets, the percentage of metal, the grade of rubber or PVC, and the mixture of metals to affect flexibility, durability, radiation absorption efficiency, and weight.

So... you could get the lead by melting the whole thing down I suppose, but it would be a tedious and stinky operation, and potentially dangerous from the junk in the smoke of burning PVC.
    Knightflyer,

Thanks for checking this out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	237602

Bought this big bucket full

Boolit Mold
    2022 update - The proportion of non-lead weights is way up. I call it 110lbs for a 5 gallon bucket that is full (even with the top of the bucket). Annoying but still worthwhile if I can collect them for free from repair shops or at most pay them 8 cents a pound

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678