WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oldfeller's 8x56 Steyr Committment

A quick update. I will (hopefully) be trying this out tonight. If everything checks out, samples will be sent to Buckshot to try the fit in his rifles.
    Last edited by BABore; 07-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    A quick update. I will (hopefully) be trying this out tonight. If everything checks out, samples will be sent to Buckshot to try the fit in his rifles.
    Bruce,

Looks nice. Wish I still had my rifle to test it for you.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

OOH My, that's pretty!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I added a pic of the boolits I cast up last night. Of the two standing boolits, the RH one is the original Oldfeller sample I had. Everything else is out of the mold.

The first boolit out of the cleaned, preheated mold was a keeper. The dimensions are;

0.3385 x 0.3390 on all bands
    0.3185 x 0.3192 on the BR nose section
    0.240 Meplat
    OAL: 1.0525

Alloy was 50/50 WW-Pb with a touch of nickel babbit. Ladle poured.

Both my Hornady and Gator 338 GC's snap on lightly. I ran the step shank just a tad loose so sizing down 4-5 thou would allow someplace for the copper to flow and not pucker the base too much.

Banned
    Is it a plain base??

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=BABore;674325]

Both my Hornady and Gator 338 GC's snap on lightly. [QUOTE]

That's what he said, Joe.

That nose looks a little fat, maybe it's the pic. I don't see the step down from the base of the nose section that the original has?? Like I said, maybe the pic.
    Wayne the Shrink

Look again. I added a third pic. The original is old and oxidized too. Not to mention Joe casted some pretty rounded bands. Someday he'll learn how.

[QUOTE=Wayne Smith;674392][QUOTE=BABore;674325]

Both my Hornady and Gator 338 GC's snap on lightly.

That's what he said, Joe.

That nose looks a little fat, maybe it's the pic. I don't see the step down from the base of the nose section that the original has?? Like I said, maybe the pic.

Banned
    Thanks Bruce, the old rebated gas check shank trick. Cool

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=BABore;674404]Look again. I added a third pic. The original is old and oxidized too. Not to mention Joe casted some pretty rounded bands. Someday he'll learn how.

[QUOTE=Wayne Smith;674392]

Both my Hornady and Gator 338 GC's snap on lightly.

Yeah, the third pic shows it clearly.
    Wayne the Shrink

Super Moderator

...........BABore sent me some boolits to try from the mould he'd made up. They snapped smartly into the Hornady 338 gc's I had. I first lube-sized them to .338". I have 2 Steyr straight pulls. A M95 and a M95/31.

I seated the slug to an OAL of 3.140" which had the casemouth crimped into the bottom lube groove. Essentially only the GC was in the case neck. At this OD and OAL the M95 swallowed the whole shebang with no effort and barely marked the boolit at the turn of the ogive.

Next up was the M95/31. (UPPER PHOTO)I used the same dummy cartridge and fed it into the chamber. The bolt stopped about 1/2" from closing, so I 'thumped' it closed with the palm of my hand. The extractor would not pull the cartridge out of the chamber, so I had to use a rod down the barrel. A small tap caused the round to fall out.

As you can see the slug was scraped up in the throat, and it is well engraved by the lands. So it was fine in the M95 but too much of a good thing in the M95/31. You can also see the ring of pushed up lead at the casemouth. This was from thumping the bolt closed. As evidence of the generous chamber neck OD's, this ring of pushed up lead was NOT marked by the neck area of the chamber.

(ABOVE PHOTO I then used a .335" push through die to reduce the OD 0.003". I seated it to 3.040" or 0.100" deeper, which was into the 4th lube groove. Naturally the M95 swallowed the whole thing without a hiccup. So did the M95/31, except the later DID lightly engrave the turn of the ogive.

Neither rifle had any issues being tight in the chamber area at all. The nose OD on these slugs was .319/.320" and in my M95 at the maximum OAL of 3.140" the nose BARELY touched. As shown in the 2 photo's it had no problem touching even seated 0.100" shorter in the M95/31. I'm pretty sure this slug will take care of most the M95's (and variants) out there except those with truly humongus large leades such as my M95. For this rifle it would take a much longer and fatter slug to seat securely into the caseneck, and also reach out into the leade, and it would for sure be HEAVY!

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks Buckshot!

Based on this, molds are now available. I have sent an update to Wiljen of my rifle and pistol designs including this boolit. As soon as the update is complete I will also be listing a few more new designs too.

Boolit Grand Master

How do you have it designated? I have your order form in my hot little hands!
    Wayne the Shrink

I've got it listed as the "Oldfeller's Frankenstein".

Super Moderator

.............No group buy will be required on this boolit design, as they're going to list it as a stock item. BABore is waiting for his website to be updated so he will have an address to which he can refer interested folks.

After this has been done I'll let this thread remain for awile so that anyone who'd been interested will have had a chance to find out about it's status. After that I will move the thread to the archive.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Looks like a boolit for my 338-06.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Looks like a boolit for my 338-06.

Bearcove,

That bullet was special made for the M95 Steyr throat, chamber, and bore. I'm afraid it would be too fat for your 338-06 even sized down. Tell you the truth the Lee 338 mould is excellent.

Joe

What part would be too fat?

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Bearcove,

That bullet was special made for the M95 Steyr throat, chamber, and bore. I'm afraid it would be too fat for your 338-06 even sized down. Tell you the truth the Lee 338 mould is excellent.

Joe
    Do you care to explain?

I added a pic of the boolits I cast up last night. Of the two standing boolits, the RH one is the original Oldfeller sample I had. Everything else is out of the mold.

The first boolit out of the cleaned, preheated mold was a keeper. The dimensions are;

0.3385 x 0.3390 on all bands
    0.3185 x 0.3192 on the BR nose section
    0.240 Meplat
    OAL: 1.0525

Alloy was 50/50 WW-Pb with a touch of nickel babbit. Ladle poured.

Both my Hornady and Gator 338 GC's snap on lightly. I ran the step shank just a tad loose so sizing down 4-5 thou would allow someplace for the copper to flow and not pucker the base too much.
    Looks like I could roll these in some mule snot and shoot them as is. 0.339 doesn't seem "WAY TOO BIG". But then I'm not an "EXPERT". This is not directed at BaBore but to Joe.

BABore,
    My order's inbound by USPS. Can't wait!
    Has anyone put a scope on one of their Steyrs? I've seen some dead-ended posts, but nothing too positive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast