WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oldfeller's 8x56 Steyr Committment

I vote for an as cast diameter of .335" and whichever check would work best. I think that .338" checks might be best, but I have both and will bow to experience on the best check size.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Grand Master

If the boolit is accurate what difference does it make how the gc ends up looking? I'm thinking that between a gc that "barely hangs on" and one that is a little distorted I'll go with the latter simply because it makes the design more applicable to more guns. How much of the distortion may have been caused by being shot in a gun with deep grooves?

I would prefer a final size of .339" with ww simply because you can size down but adding is difficult. Going from .339" to .335" is nothing much.

Stepped gc shank again, because it hurts none and can help some.

Can ya tell I'm a psychologist??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Beekeeper
    I agree wiyh Wayne a 339 boolit is the way to go.

Jim

Another item I've been discussing with Starmetal. He supplied the boolits to 45 2.1 that I measured. According to Joe, they were water dropped boolits and a good bit of time has passed. Have these as-cast boolits grown any? The BR section of the nose measures 0.319. Has anybody measured their bore diameter to confirm that this will fit?

Super Moderator

.............Seems the land diameter of the various 8x56R's have been pretty consistent at .316".

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Beekeeper
    Just checked my logs and all of the M95's I have , have a bore of .316, .317 so I agree with buckshot

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I have no interest in arguing over three thousands. We still only have 7 lined up. No one else interested?
    Wayne the Shrink

Beekeeper
    bump.....

Jim

Beekeeper
    Well Wayne it looks like we are stalled at 7.
    Do you reckon we will get the rest?
    I hope so as I would like to get the mould.
    I guess patience is a virtue, I have been waiting a year for a 223 bator mould from midsouth and it looks like sometime next year now.

Jim

I know I'm getting ahead of you guys, but I was bored last Friday.

This cherry is sized for a 338 GC, 0.339 driving bands, and a 0.319 BR nose diameter. Basically it's identical to the sample I posted on except for the GC size. When I get a tryout mold cut, I'm going to send some samples to Buckshot to check out in his rifles. The BR nose will be adjusted down if necessary. Iff'in everything works out, I will post it here and in the Vendor forum.
    Last edited by BABore; 07-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Somewhere in America, wishing it was Texas!
    Hello fellow Patriots!

Gun newbie, but *potential* list member here. (or should I say "newborn") I live in the heartland of a "gun-unfriendly" area. Hence, the last bastion of freedom & privacy seems to be the "antique" gun. So yesterday, I purchased my first firearm, a Steyr M95, at an undisclosed location. It was a spontaneous purchase, so naturally I got taken for a ride (prolly triple $ - guy sounded honest) and have now quickly gotten up to speed on the scarcity issue of the 8X56R. (wonderful!) Google just told me what a "boolit" is & I think I just might need you guys. (!) But first, I will need a "primer" on all the "boolit" lingo. read: "the cherry??" "Lee hands??" "RCBS??" etc, etc, etc. I realize I have *ALOT* to learn....so if you would be so kind...please lay it on me!

~ResisTyr
    Last edited by ResisTyr; 09-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Banned
    Welcome aboard. Just type the lingo word into the search and more then likely you will find what it means. That goes for the 8x56R or the M95 Steyr, type that in and learn what you need to know and where to buy all the components.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 09-16-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thamks for the welcome Joe! Appreciate it. Yes, I will be busy reading here for awhile. Will return shortly.

~ResisTyr
    Last edited by ResisTyr; 09-15-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't know "RCBS" then it appears that you don't know reloading, either. My advice is to climb only one learning curve at a time. Loading cast boolits presupposes knowing how to reload. Learn this skill first and gain some experience loading the boolits Graf's and Hornaday sells.

If a) playing with hot metal is common to you, or b) you don't mind buying something and not using it for a while; sign up for this mold. It appears that it will be in the BRP Custom Products catalog anyway (Thank You, BABore!), so you don't have to hurry.

In short, learn to shoot and reload first, then learn to play with hot metal.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Mold
    Yeah Wayne. I think I'm gonna start by buying a few boxes of Hornaday 8X56R ammo & then take it from there!

thanks for the reply,

~ResisTyr
    Last edited by ResisTyr; 09-15-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Joe!

Best, RT

Quote Originally Posted by ResisTyr View Post
    Yeah Wayne. I think I'm gonna start by buying a few boxes of Hornaday 8X56R ammo & then take it from there!

thanks for the reply,

~ResisTyr
    Check here :http://www.grafs.com/ for your 8x56r ammo and components. The Privi stuff is fine and cheaper than the Hornaday.

BABore....That cherry looks like a WOA (work of art). Thanks for jumping the gun.....
    Last edited by DanM; 09-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Beekeeper
    I am ready for one whenever the tests and trials are over.
    Let me know and when you want the dinero.

Jim

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ResisTyr View Post

thanks for the reply,

~ResisTyr
    ..............Prepare to be thumped A 208gr slug at almost 2300 fps from the little M95 Stutzen is entertaining.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    I think I'd be intrested. It'd just be a matter of wether I could get the money together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast