Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oldfeller's 8x56 Steyr Committment

Boolit Grand Master

Oldfeller's 8x56 Steyr Committment

This is the committment thread for the 8x56 Steyr boolit designed by Oldfeller as agreed upon by those that have the original mold. They will be made by BABore and the design will be added to his catalog under Oldfeller's name, not mine.

If you want one or more go to BABore's Vendor thread, (BRP Custom Molds) read his post, and decide what you want. Post it here. For example I want a 3 cavity mold because I want to keep the price around $100 and because I want a mold block that will float on my pot for making 2 alloy boolits.

They will take .338 gas checks. That is inevitable. He will cut for either RCBS or Lee handles.

When we get 15 we send our checks to Bruce along with our order and he will have a cherry cut and make the molds. He will send them direct to each of us.

Bruce, what do you need from Tom to make the cherry?

I'm first in line for one 3 cavity mold on Lee handles.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Beekeeper
    I am in for a double cavity mould cut for Lee handles.
    Please let me know when and where to send the money and shipping info.

OK I will change it to Lee handles
    Jim

beekeeper
    Last edited by Beekeeper; 08-15-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Moderator Emeritus
    I see that Bruce doesn't do Paypal or CC, that makes it difficult for Cast Boolit members who are non US residents to get in on the buy.

Do you have Paypal and could act as a go between?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I'm in for a 2 cav on Lee handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    I am in for a double cavity mould cut for Lyman handles.
    Please let me know when and where to send the money and shipping info.

Jim

beekeeper
    Jim, I think the choices are Lee or RCBS for handles, but may be wrong. Check his website.
    Wayne the Shrink

Beekeeper
    Wayne,
    I changed the original post to say Lee handles.
    Thanks for correcting me as I didn't see the lack of lyman handles in the post, My fault.

Jim

Super Moderator

.............I'd be up for a 3 cav using Lee 6 cav handles.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

My molds are cut for Lee handles, but will also accept RCBS as they are a little thinner. I will be getting some boolits from 45 2.1 this coming weekend. I will be comparing it to Tom's last posted drawing. The GC shank will be change to accept 338's. I will post a drawing of the final boolit before anything is cut. I will also be doing the cherry drawing for internal use. It will differ from the actual boolit due to shrinkage and methods used. This will not be posted.

One thing I want to bounce off of you guys is in regards to the GC shank. I make them either straight or stepped. I'm thinking that we may want a stepped GC shank on this one because it uses the 338. If it's sized close to the cast diameter, it won't make too much of a difference. If it's sized down 4-5 though, you may get a wrinkly base. The stepped shank allows for someplace for the metal to flow. Your call.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that I understand the functional difference I'd say stepped gc shank. From what Joe says sizing to barrel groove is the most accurate way to use this boolit. That will be different for each of us. If only one or two of us have unusually tight bore/groove measurements it's worth the stepped shank. No negative to the rest of us, major advantage to a few. No question for me.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

I am in for a two cavity mould and have both RCBS and Lee handles. I have just started enjoying my 8x56R and would really like to get a good mould for it.

Neal in AZ

two cavity and lee handles

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

HONCHO EMERITUS

Count me in for a four cavity mold. Thanks for taking this one on Bruce!
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master

OK, that's 7 so far, almost half way!
    Wayne the Shrink

I am in for a two cavity with the Lee handle cuts. Thanks for your efforts....DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Super Moderator

Bump.............
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Beekeeper
    bumped

Last weekend I picked up a few as-cast samples of the Oldfeller's "Frankenstein" and "Boxcar" boolits from 45 2.1. Thess boolits were cast by StarMetal and sent to Bob. Both were unsized and I don't know the alloy, hardness, or age. Both boolits mic'd 0.339 on the driving bands. The "Frankenstein" boolit, the one of interest here, was sized for an 8mm GC and has a stepped shank. The "Boxcar" has a straight GC shank for 338 checks.

I took the "Frankenstein" boolit over to a shop with a high-end optical comparitor with digital readout's. Even under high magnification, features like bands and groove dimensions could be open to debate. I'm quite familiar with Mnt. Molds design software, Dan's capabilities, and generally how he does things. For instance, driving bands are always of equal length as well as lube grooves. Same goes for groove angles and such. What I ended up doing is taking my measurements (to 0.0001") and averaging them to come up with a sensible number. In most cases, there were no sharp, defined edges to measure to. Cutter radius and maybe slight underfill left exact intercects up to the Mk II eyeball. Anyway, based on some pretty exact measurement and Mnt Molds design knowledge, below is a quicky drawing of the as-cast boolit.

A couple things that I think need resolving are;

what do you want the as-cast boolit to drop at? 0.339 seems big and the story I have via Starmetal is Oldfeller's bbl was quite worn. Most groove diameters run 0.330 to 0.332. Seems like shooting for 0.334-0.335 would be about right. Also, the 0.025 top band would need to be changed. When the current 0.339 boolit is sized to 0.334, it changes that 0.025 top band length to 0.065". Changing design diameter will require a band length change to follow.

what size gas check do you guys want. I was leaning towards the 338 check due to the large sizing diameter. A 8mm check would only be sized down 0.002" per side if the bollit was sized to 0.334. Not much to hold onto the boolit. What makes me hesitant is a pic I got from Starmetal of the rifling distorsion of the "Boxcar" whicj does use 338 checks. The deep rifling almost made the boolit square. I don't think the 8mm checks will be a problem looking at that swaging. I'll leave this up to you guys. The sample is set for 8mm.

Look the drawing over and hash it out amoung yourselves. I don't have a dog in this one. Just want it to come out right, the first time. The only major changes I would be making to the original design is in the groove draft angle to 15 degrees per side, and the meplat draft. I list the original as 1 degree. In reality, it is actually several radius's. I would cut it flat as in all my designs. They fall right out that way too. Let me know and I will post a final design.
    Last edited by BABore; 07-25-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Here's something to look at. The top boolit is as measured from the sample and dimensioned in the post above. The middle one is how I would cut it to the same as-cast diameter of 0.339. The bottom boolit is an as-cast diameter of 0.335.

Just for added data:
    My Steyr M95 barrel is .332/.316.
    A soft lead slug upset in the chamber over a case full of hard alloy was .345 at the case mouth, down to .333 where the rifling was just barely marking the slug. I like the as-cast diameter of .335. I like the 338 checks only because I have them on hand. I'll follow the lead of more experienced folks with regard to check size.

Here's a couple pics of the Oldfeller "Boxcar", post barrel. This boolit takes 338 GC's. The engraving and upset made me pause on what is really best for this boolit. 8mm checks would be barely holding on, by design. 338's get crunched pretty good when fired. You guys make the call here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast