WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Best CB manual

Best CB manual

I had an old Lyman manual but it seems to have walked away. Who has the best CB loading data now.

My Speer and Sierra don't have much.

Boolit Master
    Probably Lyman, still.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Manual

I agree, it is good, but 30 years old. There are lots of powders listed that are no longer in production, and lots of new powders that are not listed. I would like to see a new edition with all of lymans bullets shown with load data. I contacted Lyman and was told this is a common request. That was a few years ago. (Dont hold your breath!)

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Have you looked at Joe Brennan's book? It's got a lot of good info.
    As far as loads for CBs, I always seem to reach for my Lee manual. But then, I have no problem interpolating for a starting load and working up. Not everyone is willing to do it that way.....

In Remebrance

Lyman, hands down. There re 3 versions of their cast bullet book and I recommend getting all 3 over time. #2 choice would be the Wolfe Publishing Cast Bullet collection on CD. That is available from the guys that publish Handloader and Rifle. 3rd best is a book every reloader should have anyway- Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Get that more as an overview of good loading procedure. Other good ones are JR Matterns "Handloading" (Think that the title) and Earl Naramores "Principals and Practices of Reloading Ammunition". Both are dated, but chock full of good info.

The Lee, RCBS and any other book are okay but lack something the others have. I don;t care for Lee's book at all and think there's a lot of iffy information in there and I don't care for his loading tables at all, but that's just me.

There is a book or two out there that uses information gleaned from this website and some others like it. You'll get beter more complete info right here and it won't cost you anything.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Even though you don't shoot cowboy, don't overlook all the books they have. There are several filled with casting and reloading info. Look at Mike Venturino's books, the manuals written by Sam Fadala, and the books by Paul Matthews. I would start with buying the Lyman as it is a great one to have around. Even after casting since 1971 I still refer to it. You have our sticky section with the info of LASC and of course how can you talk cast bullets and not include Glenn Fryxell
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

They are all good! That said, if looking for only one, go with Lyman. Need to be careful of the data for powder charges in some of the older ones. Even tho the numbers and or names might be the same, the powders have changed over the years. 2400 and Unique are two that are different in the last 20 years.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    I find myself relying mostly on the Lyman manual and the little yellow TC contender manual.............If you shoot sane calibers with cast that TC Contender manual is a must have for cast IMHO.

Thanks Guys!
    Gunshow tomorrow and I'll see if I can find the Lyman manuals. These get a log chain attached to my bench to keep them from walking.