Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: emf 45-70 ammo

emf 45-70 ammo

So Im guessing this has been asked before but since Im new to these kind of guns Im going to just ask.I just traded for an EMF sharps 45-70.Ive looked in several reloading manuals and I see about 3 different pressure levels.Some guys say you can shoot factory smokeless ammo in it and others say to only shoot black.Im guessing I should only load to not exceed 25000 cup but what about factory loads.Standard ammo?Leverevolution ammo?How high of a pressure can these things take and where is safe?....I have handloaded for years but I have never fooled with this sort of thing so any advice would be welcomed...Thanks Robin

Personally, I'd stick with Level 1 loads for an eyetalian rifle. Very soft steel compared to other brands. All commercial (rem, win, fed) 45-70 loads are Level 1 loads. Of course, don't use any of the custom, hot stuff, which is Level 2+.

You will probably have a more satisfying experience loading with Holy Black and soft lead. But, commercial and Level 1 handloads will work too.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

They are factory proofed for commercial smokeless loads, so keep it under 28,000CUP....preferably under 21000 with that buttplate

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    August, I usually agree with your posting but will disagree on this one. All guns made in Italy do not have soft steel!! I own a 1874 Pedersoli Sharps with 34 in bbl that weighs in at 13 lbs. Pedersoli proof loads all the guns that they make. Now let me say this Box13. You have a replica of a rifle that was made in 1874. Why do you want to make it any thing else. Pressure one loads are for trapdoors and you can pass this safley. The best way to enjoy all these guns is by firing BP in them. That's what they were built for. If you are not so inclined then I would stay within the available factory loads. I'm not sure about the Hornaday lever hopped up loads but if they are in the 25,000 group then you are safe. Call the factory and ask them. You will then have a straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I have a C sharps 45 70 & a Pedersoli 45-90. Iwas fireforming some 45 90 brass prior to working up a BP load with AA 5744 over 28 gr aa 5744 w/ 457193 did poor ,up in the 30gr range would not stay on a half sheet of plywood , I went back down to 27 gr AA5744 for my next fireforming session & it shot great. The Pedersoli has a 1-18 twist for stablizing heavy
    500++ gr bullets ,I beleive that I was pushing that 420 gr 30-1 bullet too fast for the twist.
    I don't know if you have a 1-18 or 1-22 twist but if you have the 1-18 twist I would keep it in the Trapdoor load levels & it should do great

Im not trying to make this gun anything it isnt.I just wanted to get advice on what is safe in it and what works well for others so I can start figuring out what will work well for me.I have 39 empty cases and 39 factory loaded hornady rounds.Ill probably load some with black..but smokless is so much easier to clean up.My initial findings on the net got me several different opinions but the load data I have led me to the idea that 25000 cup was plenty for this gun.Thanks for the advice guys...Robin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runnin lead View Post
    I have a C sharps 45 70 & a Pedersoli 45-90. Iwas fireforming some 45 90 brass prior to working up a BP load with AA 5744 over 28 gr aa 5744 w/ 457193 did poor ,up in the 30gr range would not stay on a half sheet of plywood , I went back down to 27 gr AA5744 for my next fireforming session & it shot great. The Pedersoli has a 1-18 twist for stablizing heavy
    500++ gr bullets ,I beleive that I was pushing that 420 gr 30-1 bullet too fast for the twist.
    I don't know if you have a 1-18 or 1-22 twist but if you have the 1-18 twist I would keep it in the Trapdoor load levels & it should do great
    I had the first initial experience with mine, shooting 405 gr. PB boolits. Going to a fatter/harder boolit was the cure for me. 28,000 level, (Trapdoor) smokeless loads are quite speedy out of these long barrels, don't sell them short.

Pressure one loads are for trapdoors and you can pass this safley.
    The factory site states that these rifles are for 2000 bar loads (approx 29000 psi). They proof at 30% above this.
    If you choose to pass this level, you do so at your own risk.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    Ill probably load some with black..but smokless is so much easier to clean up.
    Which of your black powder guns was the hardest to get cleaned up...and what method were you using?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I know many claim black isn't hard to clean up, but I find it a chore also. Cleanup on my smokeless loads consists of: push 1- oily patch down the bore, 2- wipe off exterior. Always shoots right to aim after cleaning, can go as long as you want without fiddling, or loss of accuracy. I love the sound and smell of BP being shot, I just don't care for the fiddling.