WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Shooting at indoor ranges

Shooting at indoor ranges

Lately I've been shooting at the local indoor range with my cast boolits, and noticed all the smoke from the lube. Don't notice it much when outdoors shooting. I'm using carnauba red with unique powder. The exhaust fans seem it suck the smoke back towards me, and don't really like to breathe all that smoke. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe change the powder. A friend of mine uses 231 and I see lots of smoke coming from his as well.
    Last edited by Rockchucker; 08-09-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Unique is a smoky powder and I don't think the lube is doing it. Try Universal Clays which is cleaner burning and very simlar to Unique in characteristics. You could also try Clays which also is cleaner burning but a little hotter.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Exhaust fans should be pulling the air towards the target area. If not, don't shoot there. ... felix
    felix

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The post about CLays is` correct and dead on. I load it for a friend using white label BAC and Carnuba Red. The Red has no visable smoke and have had many shooters asking what is my load. The old 50/50 alox lube will give you plenty of smoke. If loading 38 spl try the 3.4 gr load behind the 150 gr range of bullets.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Exhaust fans should be pulling the air towards the target area. If not, don't shoot there. ... felix
    Ditto this.

Something is quite wrong if it is being pulled back toward you.
    Our small indoor range has a system with outside air coming in behind the shooter, and exhausting to the left of the backstop.

No smoke comes back towards, the shooter.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Unique is a smoker, no doubt, but not nearly as bad as Bullseye! I think the only thing that smokes worse than Bullseye is BP!

When I was forced to shoot on an indoor range I made the move to Win. 452AA, since replaced with SuperTarget, minimal amounts of smoke from this but the only round I shoot it in is 45 auto.

Plus 1 to what Felix says about fans on an indoor range!

My last trip to the range I carried the 45,44mag,and 38/357 with me and used the same lube and powder, all 3 smoked like there was no tomorrow. I like unique cause its such a universal powder, but may switch over to the clay's and see if it makes a difference. I wish we had more than one indoor range but we don't. Thanks for the replies.
    NRA Life Member

Banned

you could try titegroup also it is a bit slower than clays is ang you have a bit more lattitude in your velocity range.

Boolit Grand Master

Ditto to Felix, and the reason isn't the smoke. It's the lead sulphanate in the primer mix that you are breathing. Don't shoot there, if you have shot there much get your lead levels checked.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Unique is a smoker, no doubt, but not nearly as bad as Bullseye! I think the only thing that smokes worse than Bullseye is BP!

When I was forced to shoot on an indoor range I made the move to Win. 452AA, since replaced with SuperTarget, minimal amounts of smoke from this but the only round I shoot it in is 45 auto.

Plus 1 to what Felix says about fans on an indoor range!
    Try some old Green Dot... Have to wait for the smoke to clear before you can see to fire the next shot. It's at least as bad as the old Bullseye I have. Can't complain about the results though I will be finding something else once that last 8lb "cardboard" can is gone. Gonna be a while though at 5 to 7 grains at a pop.

Boolit Master

+1 for the warnings about smoke coming back at you. The range has a problem. I would NOT shoot there until they cured the problem. shooters there are getting dosed w/Pb.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Unique is a smoky powder and I don't think the lube is doing it. Try Universal Clays which is cleaner burning and very simlar to Unique in characteristics. You could also try Clays which also is cleaner burning but a little hotter.
    I'm with mooman76 on this. I was coming home with black soot up my nose from Alox and Unique. Started using Orange magic and Clays, almost none. Win 231 burns real clean too.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    Try WST powder, it is the lowest smoke powder I have ever seen. Carnauba Red lube & WST powder is fantastic combo in .38 & .45 target loads. I shoot a lot of PPC in indoor ranges, this is the lowest smoke combination I have found.

Banned

federal primers use lead styphnate in them .winchester uses aluminum styphnate.
    they work totally different.
    win's are usually a better choice for like 4895 and fed's seem to do better with like 2400 in lighter cast loads [in rifles anyways]

Boolit Mold
    I did not no that about the styphnate .I have read that federal primers ignite easier
    and Winchester primers burn hotter in standard size primers.