Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 Handgun? One Rifle?

Boolit Master

Only 1 Handgun? One Rifle?

The truth is that I have guns that I've never fired - kinda silly. Been thinking about thinning the herd some, but can't seem to get started. Maybe looking at it from the wrong end? So now I'm trying to decide which is my best? or favorite? and then start ranking downwards.

At any rate, if you could only keep one handgun - which one would it be? And what is the cartridge? Got an old Woodsman that I'd hate to give up, but a .357 mag sure seems more flexible - and then you've got to consider: What about a cartridge which works in both rifle and handgun? Also - just got a Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag - not bad recoil, but am I still going to want to shoot it 20 years from now?

Rifle brings on the same problems. I could give up my shotguns without much strain, just keep Dad's 16 gauge pump.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Grand Master

Mountain gun .44 mag. VERY close second is Ruger std auto .22 6" bbl.

Rifle is harder. Probably Ruger 77 in 7x57, but Savage 110 in .30-06 is very close.

Hope it never comes to this! Choices depend a lot on expectations of future conditions,
    if there are societal breakdowns in your personal crystal ball, the choices would be
    VERY, VERY different.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You never will have the right gun at the right time, just as you cannot possibly have enough security (money). That is why it is extremely important to have the Lord on your side at all times. ... felix
    felix

HG: Ruger GP100 4" .357 stainless.
    RF: Ruger M77 Hawkeye stainless in .358 Winchester.

Banned

I would have to say for my side arm- Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC

For my rilfe- toss up between my VZ-24 mauser in 358 Winchester, and Marlin guide gun in 45-70.

Don't leave me without my 870 scattergun bro ...

You old farts and your revolvers

Maybe an AR-10/.308 as the rifle, and maybe my DW commander bobtail 10mm???? and to be honest, I would probably want to make my own commander 1911 in 10mm.
    If I was going to keep one of each, it would be something I made with my hands.
    --------------
    Ron

Boolit Master

Go with what you like in your hand. for me I would go with the S&W500 4" for a revolver, can be down loaded to no recoil but still more power than any 45 or go the other way and its as powerfull as most rifles.
    Same with rifles, hard to beat a 30-06 by any maker, one of the best all around rifles ever made.
    My personal guns I fall back on are my 4"500 and my Remington 700P in 300RUM. with these Im ready for anything.

Banned

OK- I know I turn 50 next month, but I have NEVER been called an old fart before..!

Dang...

Boolit Master
    In a general sense I'm pretty close to Mtn gunner. A ruger .22 and a 6.5x55.

However, There's gonna be a heck of a fight to get me down to one of each, so I'll assume they'll be whatever I had the most ammo loaded up for at the end.

BD

Moderator Emeritus

Hand gun would have to be my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt convertible, yes i cheated and ended up with 2 calibers here in one gun, 45 colt and 45 acp! Sue me.

Rifle would be , ........ um........ well.........hmmmmmm.............. man as much as I hate to admit it, I'm going to have to say my Soviet VEPR in 7.62x39, it's capable of taking any game I may encounter here in Gates county NC.

Can I still have at least one shotgun and a coupe 22's tho? Pretty please??

Thats my Vepr in my profile pic btw. Aint she purdy
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    OK- I know I turn 50 next month, but I have NEVER been called an old fart before..!

Dang...
    wellcome to the club...u o f!
    an ar10t, and a cz85/75 in 9mm.........cause of the ease of ammo....

'06 is great and works well...but too much powder, too heavy.

9mm cast boolits and very little powder

an ar15 will do most of what an ar10 can( except beat the wind at long range....)

7.62x51 and 9mm can be pretty much universal ammo......

if there were no limits on component availability...things might change.....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Just two guns I couldn't do without...

I guess if it has to boil down to just two;

My old Ruger Standard Model.

My 30/06 on a Mauser 98 action.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    If I were to remain here in the sunny South, which I hope I don't have to, I could get by just fine with either my Ruger 4 5/8 convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP or my .45 Colt Mtn Gun, and my rifle length .45 Colt Puma, both shooting Lee's 300 grain flat point. If I'm successful in sorta retiring back out West some place, I'd switch the rifle to my McMillan-stocked .30-06 Sako (and tuck my Ruger #1 .45-70 someplace in my truck where no one would notice).

One Handgun and only one rifle?
    Surely you jest.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master
    hate to think about it, really.
    that a day would come that i could only have one....

but if i had to choose a handgun, it would be my 1911 .45
    i know mine is as reliable as a rock, powerfull enough, and won't let me down.
    there's just something about the sound of a 1911 going into battery, that no gee whiz plastic gun will ever match, and no wheelgun will ever have. don't get me wrong, i own and like revolvers too, but it's just not the same.

for a rifle, it has to be my husky 30-06. my dad bought this in the 1950's. i used it hunting when i was growing up.
    When i do my part, i can cover 5 rounds with a quarter at 100yds. yeah, i know target rifles can shoot one hole at a 100yds, but that's not the point. it's a hunting rifle, and for me, i do very well with it.

LB

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger super single six
    Savage 24F 223 over 12
    reason being, ammo availability.
    22lr adapter for 223

Boolit Master
    I'm sure this would change soon after I give this more thought but..........a blue steel Smith 29 with 6" barrel in 44mag and a Sako blue steel/wood in 30/06

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by ronterry View Post
    You old farts and your revolvers
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post

Dang...
    Well, I guess I'm an older fart than Pat, and I'll stick with my revolver, too. At least I come home from the range with all my brass (unlike you young buck auto-shooters). I'll take my S&W M-57 .41 Mag., but I'd like to have the barrel cut down from 6" to 5".

And I'll take my Rem. M-700 stainless synthetic in 30-06. Given the right bullet or boolit and load it will do anything required of a rifle on this continent.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Well, ......I guess I qualify as an "Old Fart" too: ......But I learned long ago that you can NEVER have enough guns or calibers!!

.....Just ask any five-year-old if there are only two Christmas Presents that he (or she) would be happy with; ........And they'll tell you what a crazy question THAT is!!!!

Kent (...An "Old Fart" who truly appreciates his "toys"!)
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

In Remebrance

I hate these questions, but it's raining cats and dogs here. Just one of each? 4" M19 Smiff and, after careful thought, my Marlin 35 Rem. Neither is perfect, but if I only could one they'd and share the moulds. Actually it'd be a toss up between them and my M-24 Smiff and the 44 Puma.

But what would I do without a 22???

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast