Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Smelting Stove?

Boolit Grand Master

Smelting Stove?

I was over to Overstock.com site looking at camping stuff and found a cast iron single burner, for propane, that would probably make a good smelting stove. Cheap too.
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...1/product.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I was over to Overstock.com site looking at camping stuff and found a cast iron single burner, for propane, that would probably make a good smelting stove. Cheap too.
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...1/product.html
    Does anyone have experience with stoves like this?

I have what I think is exactly the same burner (bought from Buffalo Arms). I've used it to melt big ingots into 1lb ones. I have only played with it once, but I couldn't get the temperature much over 650. I was using a nearly full bottle of propane, so pressure wasn't low. The only thing I haven't messed with was the air adjuster valve. I imagine it might help a fair but to open that way up.

If all is running well, do you guys think it should be able to reach 800?

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    ........ I have only played with it once, but I couldn't get the temperature much over 650. .........

If all is running well, do you guys think it should be able to reach 800?

Chris.

That stove has 15,000 BTU's. There is no reason why it cannot get above 650.
    (Although mine is 58,000 BTU's). If you did it outside, the problem would be the wind blowing the heat away and cooling the pot. The larger the pot, the more it acts like a heat sink. I was surprised at how effective a little wind was at cooling the mix.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using Bass Pro's Fish Cooker for a couple of years. They often have them on sale. However, even at full price ($39.95) it offers 60,000 BTU's and will do all of the smelting that most of us need. Earlier this year I did 650 lbs in one afternoon. I would respectfully suggest that you spend just a bit more and get a proven product for your purpose.

Get the Bass Pro cooker (give the aluminum pot to your wife for kitchen use) and a large cast iron or heavy steel container (I use a Harbor Freight 12" cast iron dutch oven) and handle what you need to handle.

FWIW

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

No regulator or hose. A Turkey Fryer kit would probably be lower net cost. You'll be finding them at end of season closeout prices soon.

If you lay eyes on an old hot water heater, gas one. Bust the burner assembly out of that. I think they are 175 K btu's on natural gas.

Someone posted yesterday wal mart ahd turkey kits on season close out sale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
    If you did it outside, the problem would be the wind blowing the heat away and cooling the pot.
    That indeed might be the problem, I was outside and there were some wind gusts. I'll try fiddling with the air screw and building a wind baffle to see what temp I can get it up to. 650 was fine for making ingots, although it would be nice to be able to ladle cast from it. (I've also got a bottom pour 20lb RCBS, but it's not too ladle friendly )

thanks for the advice.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Go here and get something with a 20psi regulator all wrapped up in a package. Don't go through the upgrade path like I did.
    Bayou Classic
    http://bayouclassicdepot.com/single_propane_burner.htm