RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: how many pounds in a 5gal bucket?

Boolit Grand Master

Me and Biggin just bought 20 buckets of weights. They were level full, leaving enough room to snap a top on them. The clip-on weights went from 130# to 160# and the stick-on weights were a little lighter at between 110 and 120#. These were weighed on a scale and those weights included the buckets. The lighter weight of the stick-on weights were a surprise, but probably should not have been. They just did not settle in the bucket like the clip-on's did. Many of them were twisted and curled up and used more space.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Me and Biggin just bought 20 buckets of weights. They were level full, leaving enough room to snap a top on them. The clip-on weights went from 130# to 160# and the stick-on weights were a little lighter at between 110 and 120#. These were weighed on a scale and those weights included the buckets. The lighter weight of the stick-on weights were a surprise, but probably should not have been. They just did not settle in the bucket like the clip-on's did. Many of them were twisted and curled up and used more space.
    When I was ape strong and bullet proof, that would have been considered childs play. Now it's a days work to watch somebody else do it, and it still hurts.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    When I was ape strong and bullet proof, that would have been considered childs play. Now it's a days work to watch somebody else do it, and it still hurts.
    Thats for sure! I was not feeling well that day and Biggin and the other fellow did most of the lifting!

Boolit Grand Master

We just returned from another road trip with another 2800+ pounds.

Our first load was;
    110--Stick-on
    120--Stick-on

Our second load was:
    195--this was reclaimed bullets
    180--This was part ingots
    120--Stick-on
    240--muffin ingots
    230--Muffin ingots
    175--Partial full of muffin ingots
    240--Muffin ingots

These were weighed, including the plastic bucket and were level full or slightly below the top so that a lid would snap on. The stick-on weights don't pack down as much as the clip-on weights and a bucket weighs a little less. Clip-on weights vary some because of the sizes, the smaller 1/4 and 1/2 oz weights pack down more that the larger weights. A bucket of bullets or ingots also weighs more.

Anyway, my experience shows that the other posters are all in the ball park with their weights. Given the difference in my weights I would buy by weight and not bucket unless the bucket was pretty cheap.

Boolit Master
    Seeing those weights reminds me why I bought a hand truck.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    You guys are so fortunate. Here is Central WI, because of the tremendous fishing going on. Tire shops laugh in your face when you ask about wheel weights. I would guess people here pay $75 to $100 for a 5 gal bucket. You are better off going down to the Wisconsin river when it is low and picking up jiggs in the rocks. lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yeah, I have a hand truck too! I'm in the process of designing and building a device that you can scoot a 5 gallon bucket into and pick it up with a hoist or maybe the loader on my tractor.

Traffer, we can't find weights in that quantity at tire shops anymore either. Although we can still find them. Those that I posted about came from a fellow caster that is down sizing. We were fortunate to get acquainted with him and he seemed pleased to see his lead go to another caster. So it was a Win Win!

Yeah, living with a bad back and neck you have to find ways to get around lifting, it's not that I can't lift a bucket of weights, it's just I'll pay for it for days afterwards. My last find I paid a strong young fellow to load the buckets in my Jeep, when I got home I put an empty bucket by the rear bumper, slid the buckets to the edge and tipped them over letting the weights fall into the empty bucket then hand truck them around. When I get ready to sort or melt I just tip the bucket over onto the floor and use a flat shovel to scoop them up, slow and easy keeps me off the heating pad.
    Be careful what you wish for!

5 gallon plastic bucket (without lid) weighs 2# according to more than one scrap yard. They all deduct 2# for the weight of the bucket, buying or selling.
    Those big digital scales round up if you go over 1/2 pound so 100.6 pounds would read as 101 which with lead generally doesn't matter unless type strips or WW's that you can trickle up to where it jumps up to next pound, then take them off a little at a time until it drops down to next lower pound, should be a .4 pound "bonus".

I debate on COWW's I feel like I should get more while I can but also sort of think I have enough.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    5 gallon plastic bucket (without lid) weighs 2# according to more than one scrap yard. They all deduct 2# for the weight of the bucket, buying or selling.
    Those big digital scales round up if you go over 1/2 pound so 100.6 pounds would read as 101 which with lead generally doesn't matter unless type strips or WW's that you can trickle up to where it jumps up to next pound, then take them off a little at a time until it drops down to next lower pound, should be a .4 pound "bonus".

I debate on COWW's I feel like I should get more while I can but also sort of think I have enough.
    I have the same problem with hitting up the thrifty stores for pewter. I've got more then I'll ever use but I can't help but swing in a thrift store when passing by, is there such a thing a pewter fever????
    Be careful what you wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    I have the same problem with hitting up the thrifty stores for pewter. I've got more then I'll ever use but I can't help but swing in a thrift store when passing by, is there such a thing a pewter fever????
    Well I'm going with pewter needs to be saved from collecting dust on a shelf. I look at it like doing a community service, if I can't use it someone else who casts will be glad to get it. Eventually. If I ever part with it. Which I could, if I wanted to, which I don't But if I did part with it then it is like a bit of money in the reloading piggy bank which tends to need all the help it can get.

I mean really, some lady putting flowers in that vase and just letting it sit there or the horror of being stuffed in a closet once the flowers die vs. me giving it an exciting career as bullet alloy. I feel all warm and fuzzy from the good I'm doing when I take that pewter away from the horrible fate that awaits it in a thrift store. I think I need a cape & mask or something, I'm the pewter rescuer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    I bought apr 1/4 of a 50-gallon drum of linotype/Monotype. The scrap yard loaded it in my truck for me, at home, I home I dumped it on its side in my truck and raked it out into 5 gallon buckets apr. 1/2 full, I've smelted most of it but still have 6 large ammo cans full of monotype.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567