MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: how many pounds in a 5gal bucket?

Boolit Grand Master

A large pizza with the works isn't expensive, and those that say no to a brew will wolf down a pizza before you can load a bucket of weights. The buckets (I provide) have " contents property of", and my name, on them and usually have very little trash in them.
    One tire man even brought me over 200+ lbs of lead pipe from a torn down house. He took 2 special pizzas home for his family's supper.
    BTW The zinc weights sell for, or trade at a premium for lead at the salvage yard. They really bring a premium if melted and the clips removed.
    Steven is right. Ya better stockpile all ya can while it's still there.
    Don't turn up ya nose at any form of lead.
    The end of easy lead at less than refiners prices is not too far away. It's coming to your village sooner than ya think.

Boolit Grand Master

I just today found several big truck weights that were zinc.
    Is nothing sacred????

Boolit Master
    scored my first FULL 5 gallon bucket a few weeks ago. 140lbs all the WWs where 1oz or larger. I paid my friend 20bucks. He picked them up for me,delivered them to me and even brought a 2 wheeler to bring them to the shed. He did not want the money, I had to sneak it into his ashtray of his truck.

I agree, the cheap/free ww is going the way of the honest govt worker. I got my last (2) 5gal buckets for a 12pak of Coors. About 75% of it was useless non lead stuff, but I was happy. We'll all be down to berm mining within the next two years, about the average life of a set of tires in Kalif. Get it when you can for any reasonable price. $1/# is going to look like a bargain in 2012.

stephen perry

California doesn't have a K in it. Where did you learn to spell ?

My Casting bud in Arizona goes to an open shooting area and dredges for bullets.
    He has got as many as 700lb at a time. Takes them home in buckets spreds them out, washes them, tumbles them, and melts them down in a SAECO 20lb pot. He's a true scavenger of the best kind. Does the same for brass too. He once traded me 315 22 hornet brass from his shooting area and plenty of 45 acp, all tumbled clean and bagged up. We do allot of trading never for money though, like in the Old West days.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

That is a sweet bucket. I just finished my first bucket. It was likely three quarters actually full. I weighed the ingots from the wheel weights and it is right on a hundred. There is still the stick on weights to go and there is likely at least 30 pounds of waste.

Thanks for the info. I am new to casting and will be hitting the dealer and tire joints.
    The light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash

Just got 182# from a tire shop for 10 bucks
    1 full pail and half of another

gotta start melting

Boolit Master

That's a good start. Congrats.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Holy zinc and steel!!!! I bought a 5 gal bucket today for $20. When all was said and done after sorting, I ended up with 85# of clip-on and 20# of stick-on. The rest was fe and zn. But, its another 100+ lbs in the stash.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Bub
    Just scored 3x5gal buckets, barely 100 lb's of lead

Just got another 40 pounds of sinkers (8-12-16oz) and duck decoy weights for free.
    insert happy face here

Boolit Master
    Tell you guy's this!I have been to many tire places & scrap metal yards.75cents to 85cents
    a LB.I wish I could find a place as you guy's have.Maybe the tire shop's here are smarter to
    the price of metal now days?

Fly

Enjoy the low prices while you can and build up as much inventory as you can handle. The average price here goes for around $.35/lb for WW and going to the scrap dealer will cost you $1.24/lb no matter what type of lead it is. In the last month,I've found the percentage of steel and zinc getting higher, so I'm learning how to tell myself to be happy with whatever I get out of a pail. Cost will be a non issue when the demand will be much greater than the supply.

Boolit Mold
    I would say that you have hit the jackpot since they lay so well in the bucket that there is very little air and darned few clips. ENJOY!!!

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    A simple little trick for consistency fellows: Melt down each potfull of WW and pour it off into twenty 1-lb ingots. While they are cooling, fill the pot again, and run over to Harbor Freight for a set of punches. Bu the time you get back, the first batch will be cool, and the second batch will have started melting. Scrape off the clips and put more WW in to be melted.

While they melt, go over the first batch and stamp each ingot with a #1. When the next batch has been melted and cooled, stamp each ingot with a #2. Continue until you run out of lead, or you've run 18 to 20 pots, each with its own lot number.

When you fire up to run a batch of bullets, add one ingot from each lot back into the pot. run your casting session until the pot is enpty. Do the same for each and every potful you melt. This way, you will get the same alloy composition for up to 400 pounds of bullets.

Of course, if you're not using 1 lb ingots, you can alter the scheme for the ingot mold you are using, whether it's an old cupcake tin or whatever, and whether you have a 10 or 20 pound pot. Just weigh out the number of ingots to fill your pot, and the rest should be obvious.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    Anywhere from a 120 to 150 pounds.
    Call it 135 average.
    50 bucks is really steep.

Last bucket I got was 4/5's full. Cost was a 20 pack of Coors Light.

I think you misspelled that.

50 bucks for 5 gallons of wheel weights is really CHEAP.

It is about fifty cents a pound. in most markets that is half price.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I think you misspelled that.

50 bucks for 5 gallons of wheel weights is really CHEAP.

It is about fifty cents a pound. in most markets that is half price.
    Statement was accurate on the date posted.
    In August of 2009, 50 bucks for a bucket of wheel weights was outrageous by the standards of most members here.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How much would a 55gal oil drum weigh if it was full of lead WW?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by letsmeltlead2693 View Post
    How much would a 55gal oil drum weigh if it was full of lead WW?

Multiple the weight of a five gallon bucket times 11. Probably 1500 to 2000 lbs. You ain't gonna move it by yourself without powered assistance.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast