Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt load w/Bullseye powder

Boolit Master

.45 Colt load w/Bullseye powder

Has anyone developed an accurate load using B'eye powder in the .45 Colt using 250~260 grain cast bullets? I have tried the famous 6.0 grains of Red Dot and it was not good at all. Had been using 7.0 grains of W-231 with ok results in my Ruger Blackhawk.

Banned

i use 5 grs of regular clays with a 250 gr rnfp it is right in the 14k range.
    clays is right close in burn rate to b-eye.
    start a bit lower and come back up with the b-eye.
    your set-up might benefit from a slower powder,say 7.5 grs of unique. to start.

Boolit Master
    I use 6.0 to 8.0 gr of WW231 in .44 Special, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. It is a good, clean burning powder for light to medium loads with 200-250 gr pills. 7.0gr with an H&G 68 shoots one hole at 25 yds out of my old model Ruger 45 LC.

Banned

I don't know about Bullseye, I never liked fast powders in wheelguns due to a vague idea I had about the boolit hitting the forcing cone too fast. Since I have seen 44Man's explanation over and over again I feel a surer of sticking with slower powders, but I have experimented with almost a dozen and found 5.4 grains of Titegroup (I know, NOT a slow powder!) with a 250gr. rnfp hands-down gives superior accuracy in my revolver, I have tried many loads and always come back to this one.

9.5 grains of HS6 works well too, and gives an edge to the velocity in a rifle. I've gone up to 10.5, but 9.5 shoots most accurately and to point of aim.

My 2 cents,

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    6.0 of Red Dot with Lyman's 454190 sized to .452 has been an accurate load in my RB 5 1/2".

Boolit Master
    I have three loads that I feed my Ruger NV. All use Remington brass, CCI 300 primers, a 250gr Lyman 454190 boolit sized to .452, and a C.O.L. of 1.600”. My moderate load at the upper end of what would be considered a “standard” 45 Colt is 8.6gr of Unique. My light target load is 5.8gr of Trail Boss. My favorite load however is a case full of GOEX 3fg Black Powder. All three loads shoot POA and have grouped on a good day at 1 ¾” from 25 yards.

P.S. Unique is a little dirty but shoots very accurately.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wally,
    What's accurate for me might not work for you. Primer choice, bullet choice, barrel length, phase of the moon, height of the corn, etc,.
    I use 5 grains of Bullseye under a Lee 452.- 230-TLRN in mostly RP cases with Winchester LP primers. I don't shoot competition, but I can hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yds. with my Ruger 4.5" Vaquero.
    Most of the time.
    If my knees don't hurt.
    If I ain't had too much coffee.
    If it ain't bad windy.
    If I ain't been shootin' that dang Gibbs.

Boolit Master
    I did some testing with my Ruger .45 Colt and 6.0 Grains of Bullseye using RCBS bullets--the 250 RNF & the 255 Keith..my chrony showed that the loads were more consistent than 6.0 grains of Red Dot...

250 RNF---average velocity was 810 FPS with a 8.88 Std Dev

255 Keith average velocity 800 FPS with a 9.43 Std Dev

Comparing with 6.0 grains of Red Dot and the 250 RNF bullet firing a no. of groups I rec'd spread as for 72 to a whopping 207 FPS..the highest I had ever recorded.

I have yet to get the accuracy that I feel these loads should offer---so far I haev gotten 2.5" groups at 40 feet with rge 250 RNF bullet. A bit more with the Keith. Perhaps teh .45 Colt caliber si not capable of doing better than that...but I will keep trying. Could be one must obtain more velocity to achieve better accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot my .45 Colt extensively with both black powder and smokeless.

My SERIOUS black powder load (most performance) in my 5½" Bisley Vaquero is a case full of Swiss 3f behind a Lyman 452664 (30/1 lead/tin) with Emmert's lube. It chronographs nearly 1000 fps and will shoot under 2" at 25 yards. Goex 2f gives considerably less velocity but also substantially less recoil. If you have any Elephant Black Powder, it is considerably less potent than either Goex OR Swiss and Elephant 2f makes for a very pleasant load.

I use an appropriate load of Unique to obtain factory velocities with the same bullet and it will shoot 1½" at 25 yards. My alloy for smokeless in this revolver is WW + 2% tin and I size .452". My lube is Lars White Label Carnauba Red.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Dale53 Have you found that Unque is a better powder than Red Dot or Bullseye in the .45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy

.45 Colt load with Bullseye powder

While Bullseye has its applications, light charges in a case as cavernous as the .45 Long Colt is at best, a make-do practice. With 250 gr. boolits such as #454190 or #454424, Unique is a much better choice, being slower and somewhat bulkier. Try 8.0-8.5 grs. Unique which will about duplicate factory or black powder ballistics.
    Last edited by R.C. Hatter; 09-01-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Poor spacing via submission system

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot or Bullseye will work well in the .45 Colt as well as the .44 Special, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .44 magnum.

However, I prefer the greater bulk of Unique in the larger cases. I like to SEE the powder when loading on my 550B's to minimize the chance of a double charge (easy to do with RD and Bullseye).

I won't try to argue or convince anyone of my choice here but there are sometimes other considerations other than the "first line choices" (Accuracy is always paramount to me, next is the particular performance level (whether I am interested in a light target load or a heavy hunting load or something in between). Cost always rears it's ugly head but I do NOT let than CONTROL my choice - it IS a consideration but should NOT control your choice. As a for instance, Unique costs about the same as Bullseye and Red Dot. However, you use more. That is a trade off that I welcome to get more bulk in the case and Unique when loaded for Medium loads is in the "sweet spot" of it's burning rate. Whereas, Bullseye is at the upper end of its range and while I do not consider that dangerous, it is something to think about.

When you talk a MEDIUM load in the larger cases you can hardly do better than Unique. It was that way 75 years ago and is still that way now.

I consider a medium load in these large cases to be slightly over factory issue in the .44 Special and .45 Colt. In the .44 Special, Skeeter's load of 7.5 is just about THE load for me when woods rambling. In the .45 Colt, depending on the platform (whether an old revolver or a modern one) I just use a comparable load of Unique which would be 9.0 grs of Unique. It is safe to use in a Colt SAA or a Clone as well as the Ruger New Vaquero (and of course, is OK in the stronger Ruger Vaquero and Black Hawk).

John Taffin calls these "Utility loads", meaning a VERY good general use load for woods rambling. The velocity will be 900-1000 fps with a Keith 255 gr in the .45 Colt and a 240-250 gr in the .44 Special.

On the other hand, if you are loading to target levels, then Bullseye and Red Dot may be a better choice, even if it DOES take up less room in the case. Both will burn better for light charges. However, 231 works well in target loads but bulks up a bit better (it takes slightly more for the same velocity than Red Dot or Bullseye). So, If I were going to buy target powder today, it would be 231 rather than Bullseye or Red Dot. It I had Bullseye or Red Dot (I do) then I would use it (I am). But-t-t, for Medium loads it is still Unique for me.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think I've ever tried Bullseye in the 45 Colt. WW-231 did all right with the 200 grainers after I opened up the BisHawk's throats to .453" from .449", but Unique was/is so much better that it has become my "standard" for 1873-level loads in 45 Colt. Same story in the Uberti PastaColt repro that preceded the Hawk. I believe my buddy's converted Model 28 Smiff re-done to 45 Colt with truck axle barrel and Aristocrat rib for PPC stuff does its target work with WW-231 and 225 grain wadcutters.

Too many shooters report too much good work by the Unique combination to ignore their recommendations.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Too many shooters report too much good work by the Unique combination to ignore their recommendations.
    Well said, Uncle Al!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I've done it and was pretty well pleased with the accuracy and the mild recoil. I wasn't trying to make a hunting load, just a plinking load. Look in the Alliant pamphlet that is given away at the local gunshop...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have used Bulls Eye in about every caliber I shoot. I like shooting "wimp"loads at times and B.E. lites easy and performs well in most every case. If I remember correctly B.E. was the first smokeless powder used in the .45 Colt. Actually a rather "warm" load. I picked up an 8# of Tite WAD powder for a good price and have been using it in place of BE.It lites and burns well but is very flaky and does not meter that well. The Lee auto disk does a good job with it so it has been my standard 45 Colt powder this last 6 months.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Bub
    I have switched to Trail Boss and American Select for all my cast bullet loads in straight walled pistol cases. The American Select burns a bit cleaner than Trail Boss but the Trail Boss loads appear to have less perceived recoil for the same velocity.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

45 colt

I use 9.5 of unique in my ruger 7.5 barrel.trail boss looks like a good powder for milder loads,have not tried it yet but have can of it to try.seems bullsey has not enuf bulk.some one checked trailboss and seems its a remake of the old dupont bulk shotgun.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    WILDCATT
    Using the 9.5 grains of Unique load mentioned what kind of groups are you getting? Using a rest I obtained a 1.375" group at 40' using 6.0 grains of Bulleye with the RCBS 250 Grain RNF bullet. However at 50 yards I could not consistently hit a 12" diameter steel plate.
    Last edited by Wally; 09-02-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: left something out

Red Dot or Bullseye will work well in the .45 Colt as well as the .44 Special, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .44 magnum.
    5.0 Gr's of Red Dot work well for me in 45 colt and the 452664 for a light practice and indoor range load.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast