RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Staking Punch for old Colt

Staking Punch for old Colt

I've got an old Colt Police Positive that has got more patina than bluing. I'm looking at a complete tear down and re bluing on it for something to do.

The ratchet is screwed onto the ejector rod and then staked in place to keep it's alignment with the cylinder. Getting it off will be no problem, so no worries there. However I don't have a rectangular staking punch that is that small should the ratchet decide to not stay put after reassembly. Could anyone give me a hand with a link or reference to one? I've got an account with Brownell's and other places like it, so please don't just reference a distributor. I've looked threw the catalogs and on the web sights, but am just not finding one. But if you have the exact link for one there or else where I'd appreciate the help finding it.

Thanks in advance

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

He is difficult to get in touch with sometimes but Ken Elmore, who owns "Specialized Armarment Warehouse," is a goto guy for Colt parts and tools. 99% of his buisness is with ar-15 and 1911 but he might be able to make one for you if he cannot get one from Colt. Good Luck.

PS He's an Army dog so you guys might have something in common.....semper fi

http://www.specializedarmament.com
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Colt Double Action Revolvers, Vol. 1" shows him restaking the ejector on page 69 (If you don't have this book, it's one of the few gunsmithing reference books for Colt revolvers. Vol. 1 is for "V" spring Colt DA revolvers, Vol. 2 is for the later coil spring Colt DA revolvers).

There isn't a very good photo of the punch but it looks like a standard pin punch that has been reground. The tip probably has a slight radius or angle and then the sides have been narrowed. You'll end up with a rectangular tip that has a slight radius on the end. If you take a close look at the staking on your revolver you should be able to figure out the shape.

You could either regrind a pin punch or make one from drill rod and harden it.

Boolit Grand Master

I made mine from old file stock and hardened it in oil, just grind a punch to match the marks and you will be all right.