Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: HELP! Anyone know the Savage 219's good?

HELP! Anyone know the Savage 219's good?

I have a Savage 219 combo in 12ga/.22 Hornet and I have a 30-30 barrel for a 219 action that I bought a while ago. The problem in having is the 30-30 barrel doesnt allow the action to fully close and I tried the barrel on a couple different 219 and 220 actions. Im wondering what the best way is to machine down the locking lug to allow it to fully close and if anyone has any tricks for fitting a Savage single shot barrel to an action it didnt come on? I realy want this rifle for a dedicated CB rifle because the Hornet barrel is deady accurate with cast and im expecting the same from the 30-30(Keeping my fingers crossed). Thanks in advance, Mike
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    I have a Savage 219 combo in 12ga/.22 Hornet and I have a 30-30 barrel for a 219 action that I bought a while ago. The problem in having is the 30-30 barrel doesnt allow the action to fully close and I tried the barrel on a couple different 219 and 220 actions. Im wondering what the best way is to machine down the locking lug to allow it to fully close and if anyone has any tricks for fitting a Savage single shot barrel to an action it didnt come on? I realy want this rifle for a dedicated CB rifle because the Hornet barrel is deady accurate with cast and im expecting the same from the 30-30(Keeping my fingers crossed). Thanks in advance, Mike

How far is it lacking from locking up?

Joe

It will close about 1/3 of the way with the release lever staying all the way to the right as if were almost in the open/cocked position. It almost closes so I would say around a couple thousandths, maybe a bit more.
    Mike B.

I would inspect that .30-30 barrel, side-by-side & off the receiver, with a barrel that DOES fit - and note any obvious difference.
    Be sure to be meticulous in your comparison, inch-by-inch.

If there's no glaring/visual differences, thm I would advise measuring & comparing (w/calipers) the distance between the INSIDE of the barrel pivot notch/fulcrum and the breechface and locking lug - in case some one's built up the pivot notch to tighten the barrel for another, loose/worn, receiver.

Also inspect the rear notch of the barrel's locking lug to see if something is limiting the locking bolt from seating fully.

I once had an early 219 (no suffix) .30-30 barrel that acted like that.
    It turned out the barrel was perfectly fine - but I was trying to seat it in a later 219L receiver, also perfectly fine. Just NOT compatible !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks Pietro, Their both definatly from a 219 and the lockup lug is a little thicker at the base catch. Im gonna try to file it down some and see what happens. It should hopefully work and I will just do a hair at a time because its an irreplaceable barrel nowadays and I would hate to ruin it.
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy
    Mike:

I recently fit a .410 barrel (not marked 219) to my 219, I had to file fit the front pin notch first. I found out the hard way to strip the ejector parts out first. Caution there's a "real" spring in there!!
    Once I got the pin to mate up properly, I found the breech length to be too long, a light cut off the breech face got the barrel down in where it belonged. The breech face is not square to the bore!!
    The last step was filing the latch notch to let the latch move up into place. My barrel would not let the lever come to the left at all. Once it starts to latch, "follow the mark" with a file till it latches completely!
    Do you have the complete 5 piece 219 set?? The 219 has no S/N as such but the actions, forends and barrels have a matching number, Mine's 35KA on the 3 pieces I have.
    Hope this helps, Nick

I have 2 complete combo 219 5pc sets WITH a original combo hard case with the one set plus a bunch of spare parts. The one set has matching numbers and the other is pre numbers if I recall. Its been a while since I had it out of storage.
    Mike B.

IT FITS!! I filed down the lockup lug a little and it fits perfect and shoots like a dream with 311291's. Im a happy man! Now I gotta find a 218, 25-20 or 32-20 barrel for it.LOL.
    Mike B.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I've got a 222/20ga one of those, I'd love a 30/30 Bbl as well.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."