MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: bullets for 351 winchester

Boolit Mold

bullets for 351 winchester

I am trying to get started loading for my old 351 winchester. Can I get a bullet sizing die, like a Lee kit and push .355 or ,356 jacketed bullets thru it to make my 351?
    I realize I prolly would need to get someone with a lath to open up a smaller die to 351 or get Lee to build one.
    But will this work?

Boolit Master
    Might or might not. The swagers usually say to bump a bullet up, rather than sizing one down. Problem is that the brass springs back, may separate from the core. I think it was in Corbin's book that I read that. And that was with swaging dies, not sizing dies meant for cast bullets.
    I do have a 1907 Win I have been assembling the stuff for, but haven't got it all together yet. Henwood's book on these gun's suggests sizing cast bullets down in a couple steps. There is a fellow on this site that makes sizing dies in whatever diameter you need IIRC.
    Lyman did make a couple molds just for the 351. Hensley had one too. Pretty hard to find, I have been looking for six months or so.
    Simplest is probably to size a 358311 or something like that down in a couple stages.

Lee precision will make a sizer die in whatever size needed for about 30.00..
    http://www.leeprecision.com/--CUSTOMLUBESIZE
    I shortened the link title down quite a bit....

You might get some ideas from Beagle's 351 article in the CASTPICS. Or just send him a PM and pick his brain. The man's tried about everything in the shooting field. Other than the Stillwell URL, everything should be current in his piece....Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Bullets for 351 Winchester

Hi All: If you want to use cast, try M&P Bullet in Brattleboro, VT. He carries the original bullet for the 351. I loaded up some for a friend and they shot great. Danth

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by CC Ryder View Post
    I am trying to get started loading for my old 351 winchester. Can I get a bullet sizing die, like a Lee kit and push .355 or ,356 jacketed bullets thru it to make my 351?
    I realize I prolly would need to get someone with a lath to open up a smaller die to 351 or get Lee to build one.
    But will this work?
    If you have a Star sizer/lubricator I have a new sizing die for the Lyman #350319 in 0.352" diam. PM me if interested.

An aquaintence of mine has a .351 self loader. This is a bit off topic and I don't want to hijack a thread, but can .351 brass be formed from .223 / 5.56 NATO brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer View Post
    An aquaintence of mine has a .351 self loader. This is a bit off topic and I don't want to hijack a thread, but can .351 brass be formed from .223 / 5.56 NATO brass?
    Use 357 Maximum brass. Reduce the rim diameter and trim to length and you're done. I suppose you could make 223 work (but why would you?), but it'd be a lot more work and would be quite a bit undersized at the rim and a bit small at the base as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Ryder View Post
    But will this work?
    I've done it with both cast and jacketed. "Buckshot" can make you up a Lee style push-through sizer. I went 0.352" and use it for both (0.351" would have been too small for cast). There's a bit of spring-back with the jacketed, but it's of no consequence. If you use 358 bullets, you'll lose quite a bit of lube groove, so choose molds with deep grooves. For jacketed, look for a bullet with the jacket "bonded" to the core, like Cor-Bon and others offer.

Boolit Buddy
    I realize this is an old thread but I am tacking this info on for good measure anyway. Graf & Son sells plated .351 round nose 180gr bullets for $16.95 per box of 100. They are available right now. /Chris