Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: can I use Tin solder with acid core???

can I use Tin solder with acid core???

Walmart had some Oatey lead free solder on close-out for $1 a 1/4 pound roll. It is 95% Tin and 5% Antimony, but it has an acid core. Can I use it in my pot, or will the acid cause problems? Should I pre-melt the solder in something else to remove as much acid as possible, or should I just keep it for soldering copper pipes.

They also had some Oatey Silver lead-free solder, but the back said it had copper, bismuth, silver and tin. It didn't say the percentage of the composition like the other stuff I bought. It was also $1 a 1/4 pound roll. Is that stuff any good to use in bullets?
    Last edited by Marlin Hunter; 07-31-2009 at 12:48 AM.

I just looked at the MSDS for the Silver solder and it said

Tin......................60-100%
    Copper.............1-5%
    Bismuth............1-5%
    Silver................1-5%

I'm sure the silver was closer to the 1% than the 5%

Boolit Master

The Acid core is ok to to use but i would melt and flux it first. You will notice some black GOO on top of the melt, it gets on everything.
    Melt it in a seperate pot than your casting pot, flux with plenty of dry saw dust to help soak up the Black Goo.

You could mix in 50% WW ingots or pure lead so you have some quanity to work with, be sure you mark these ingots so you can figure your alloy % at a later date.

The other stuff you mentioned may be a problem with too high of alloys that need a LOT of heat to cast a very good bullet. I leave that for someone else that may have experience with babbits and such.

Boolit Master

I would first be concerned that the acid would react violently when put in the molten lead.

In any case, I would not take a chance of getting acid anywhere near my moulds.
    I've seen what the acid can do to metal and it is not pretty.

Jack

Cast Boolits Owner

I use acid core solder all the time without problems. I do get the goo on top but it always gets fluxed before and during my casting sessions.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    I use acid core solder all the time without problems. I do get the goo on top but it always gets fluxed before and during my casting sessions.

R.
    Yeah I have used it also with wws that would not fill out with no problems. To me it works as a flux, which is what it is. May smoke a little but no problems.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    +1 on the post by #1 in fact I have some at this time.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I've used it, the 95/5 but first I melted and fluxed it in a small pot. Set the pot out in the open and watched until all the smoke had disappeared. Didn't want to breath any of that stuff. I then took a Lyman ingot mould and filled the two center 1/2 pound slots about half way up. Cut those in half and weighed and marked them. Wish I could have found them for that price.....I'd have bought everyone they had.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    The acid core IS flux. Before the lead paranoia, acid core solder used to be, I believe, 50/50-lead/tin, so there's no worries about having the acid "react violently" with the lead in the pot. On the other hand, I wouldn't put that stuff raw into my casting pot because the acid flux will wreak havoc with the metal of the pot. That's why you don't use acid core solder on electronics. The flux gets all over everything and damages the components and circuit boards.

The advice, above, about smelting it separately (outdoors), using sawdust to absorb the flux and casting it into ingots is sound. I believe the acid flux is water-soluble, so after your smelting setup is cooled to room temp, it would be a good idea to wash down your tools so they don't corrode.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

+1, the acid core is FLUX, been using it for years, won't destroy your molds or pot. Smokes a bit when melting, as stated use a different pot ro melt it in soak up any black goo and go make boolits.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

In Remembrance

I have used acid core solder in my alloy and just added it to the casting pot. Flux , scrape down, and skim as normal. No corrosion problems.

I keep a layer of old walnut tumbling media on the top of my melt and it soaks up the black goo and also keeps the acid from splashing out as it melts, not to mention, cutting down on the oxidation.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Acid core solder is used for things like patching holes in copper car radiators, or at least it was when radiators were still made out of copper. The acid core stuff did a better job of cleaning the rough heavy gage metal of a radiator than regular rosin core electronic solder would. Any time you used acid core solder, you were always supposed to wipe the solder joint clean with a damp cloth to prevent the residual acid from eating through the base metal over time or causing "blooms".

Since others here on the board say that they have been using acid core with no problems, I wouldn't hesitate to stock up on that stuff if you are low on tin.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Acid core solder is used for things like patching holes in copper car radiators, or at least it was when radiators were still made out of copper. The acid core stuff did a better job of cleaning the rough heavy gage metal of a radiator than regular rosin core electronic solder would. Any time you used acid core solder, you were always supposed to wipe the solder joint clean with a damp cloth to prevent the residual acid from eating through the base metal over time or causing "blooms".

Since others here on the board say that they have been using acid core with no problems, I wouldn't hesitate to stock up on that stuff if you are low on tin.
    Hi Jim

Radiators were not really copper, the cooling fins were copper but the rest of it was brass. I ran a shop back in the late 70's- 80's and untill the alum and plastic hit the market about all of them were brass.
    We used solid core 40/60 solder, the flux came in 5 gal pails in a dry powder and was mixed with water. Acid brushes were used to apply the flux and a little squirt bottle for places that a brush couldnt get to.
    Had to comment being it's one of the few things I know anything about
    Man if I only would have saved all those tank drippings!

In Remembrance

Marlin Hunter;

You ain't one of those guys that is particular about the brand of compressed air you put in your tires are you?

Life is good

Boolit Grand Master

Copper pipes in building was soldered with acid core as well as solid core solder with a seperate flux. The old stuff was mostly lead.
    Used acid core to solder the brass frames I made for slot cars when I was a kid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob. View Post
    Had to comment being it's one of the few things I know anything about
    Man if I only would have saved all those tank drippings!
    Sucks to be you right now don't it?
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Master

I have used a pile of it. Probably 40 pounds. No issues yet.