Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 200 gr RN HP by Mihec

Boolit Buddy

44 200 gr RN HP by Mihec

There was some ( a minority) interest in this design by 4.5 2.1 on another thread, as an alternative to theSWC design for the revolvers, mostly by rifle shooters concerned about SWC feeding issues. This is not the same as the lighter.444 screamer, or heavier LFN designs. I'd like it for the 44 Automag , (overall length is limited by magazine). Hope I posted this correctly , to see if enough rifle shooters could carry a Mihec HP design. For any who don't know, that design works very well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1240871351
    Last edited by denul; 07-25-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: incomplete post

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to say - I'd be up for 2 of these, or 3 if gas checks were an option; and would like to know if anyone knows if Mihec will offer more than 2 cavities in his HP designs. Just curious.

Boolit Master
    this looks good to me.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

I'm in! Just what I always wanted for my S&W 696.

Brian

I like it.

Denul,

I believe I read in another thread that Miha offered to make his hollow point molds in 3 cavity for a small increase in cost. That would be sweet!

Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Id be very interested in that !

Boolit Master
    There's gotta be more interest than this. Wake up guys.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    Looks interesting. I'd like to learn the as-cast diameter to see whether this would fill up a Marlin micro-groove barrel. Still, this has real potential for the 44 Special. Awwww, what the heck, I'm in. This design would be really handy in GC, but I would still take it in plain base.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up I'm interested!

Looks like a winner in a plain-base for my 44Spec revolver, although just a bit more weight would be good. I normally use a 245swc boolit.
    I like the profile to improve feeding in my Marlin 44mag rifle, but again, a bit more weight and a GC would be a good idea here.
    Let's keep pushing consideration on this one-- It has promise!

358wcf

Ok guys, where are all the compact 44 special shooters? This is the ideal boolit for revolvers like the S&W 696, Charter Bulldog, etc. This is a much better Hollow point platform than a SWC.

Brian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Drifter View Post
    This is a much better Hollow point platform than a SWC.
    Lots of folks will disagree with that statement.

Boolit Master

OK, exactly why is swc HP better? Never understood that myself. To me a SWC is for cutting nice holes in paper.

Boolit Master

I'd go for one if it were adopted as or was optional with a gas check base. Possibly we could do the same as the 41 group buy and make it available in either flat or gas check base.
    Last edited by azrednek; 09-06-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: change to email notification

Quote Originally Posted by only1asterisk View Post
    Lots of folks will disagree with that statement.
    It depends on what you want your hollow point to do. A SWC has 1 advantage... it will cut a nice clean hole in paper targets. It has the disadvantage of shearing the expanded nose at the front band. My Lyman 358156 H.P. bullets expand very nicely, but leave a lead donut behind when the nose blows off. A RNFP H.P. will have a better chance of supporting and holding onto the expanding nose for better weight retention. The RNFP H.P. will also feed smoother (faster) in a revolver than a SWC. Don't get me wrong I'm a SWC fan and shoot thoudands of them. Now to make a few enemies... a SWC is a great nostalgic boolit, but there is better out there so get over it.

Brian

Boolit Master
    Actually, the SWC's primary advantage is that, all else being equal, the SWC will expand at a lower velocity. While the RNFP will hold on to it's mushroom to a higher velocity, the SWC does fine in the .38 or.44 Special velocity range.

As for RNFP being easier to load, that's true. But with a little practice it really isn't that much of an advantage.

I'm a RNFP guy, but the SWC works great for some applications.

As for the "SWC's for paper only" nonsense, all that really matters in hunting is the velocity, meplat, sectional density and stability (in flight and while penetrating). So long as SWC bullet does these things, it hunts as well as any other bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe that MiHec has made the GC (or not) an option; can anyone confirm that? Also, for any rifle shooters involved in SASS matches( I'm not), could the collapse or expansion of a HP PB make bounce back from metal plates less likely? I intend to try some of these and the SWC in HP configuration to reduce that risk; just asking.

only1asterisk,

I think we're probably on the same page as far as RNFP vs SWC. I just like to rattle a cage once in a while, hope no offence was taken. I just prefer my SWC's to be cast solid instead of H.P. The 40 cal Glock and JHP's carried in the urban jungle are left at home when I'm out camping or backpacking in the wilderness. I prefer to carry a 44 or 45 revolver loaded with cast solids with large meplats weather SWC or RNFP. Out in the wild I would rather have complete penetration and make the target bleed out of both holes.

Brian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Drifter View Post
    only1asterisk,

I think we're probably on the same page as far as RNFP vs SWC. I just like to rattle a cage once in a while, hope no offence was taken. I just prefer my SWC's to be cast solid instead of H.P. The 40 cal Glock and JHP's carried in the urban jungle are left at home when I'm out camping or backpacking in the wilderness. I prefer to carry a 44 or 45 revolver loaded with cast solids with large meplats weather SWC or RNFP. Out in the wild I would rather have complete penetration and make the target bleed out of both holes.

Brian
    No offense offered or taken, we're about on the same page. The SWCHP is great for walking around busting jackrabbits and no slouch should you be required to shoot larger varmints. Cast solid the same boolit might be enough for deer (454423 comes to mind).

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast