RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NO wheel weights BUT...

Boolit Master

Lead Pot,

Last year while trolling thru the local scrap yard I decided to buy a 55 gal barrel stacked with soft rolled lead sheeting. 450 lbs. The scrap yard guys set it in the back of the F-250 with a forklift. When I got home I found 5 linotype pigs in the bottom of the barrel under the soft lead. I believe they weighed 22 lbs. a piece.

Beau

Beau
    At one with the gun.

Moderator Emeritus
    Here downunder, I scrounge as much material as I can find. One local tyre place has a bucket where all the used weights are placed. Policy is first in best dressed. Timing is important to get the contents when it is at it's highest level and before the fishermen need material to cast weights.
    Another source I use is the roadways. I carry a strong magnet attached to an extendable handle. Now quite adept at retrieving weights from the roadway without interupting the traffic flow.

I also plague many plumbers for their recovered flashing. I have had some come through which is labelled "Copperised". When this is smelted to ingot form it leaves a rust coloured residue on top of the metal. Does anyone have an idea what it is and have to removed it? I have not cast boolits from this material yet; keeping it seperate for more treatment if needed.

Boolit Master
    Beau:
    "When I got home I found 5 linotype pigs in the bottom of the barrel under the soft lead."

JACKPOT !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Jerry, the lead sheeting could be from roof work, cable sheathing or heaven forbid water tanks. We had two 65,000 water tanks where I worked and they took one down. After the contractors left, the scavengers came outta no where to get the 1/8" thick lead lining from the tank. And we were drinking this water for years. Come to think on it thats maybe why i have an affinity for lead and boolits. I suppose that with all the group buys on boolit molds I'd better fire up the rodeo and make the rounds. Frank
    Last edited by Frank46; 03-28-2006 at 03:56 AM.

Beau;
    I'm not sure what a pig of lino-type weighs but a pig of lead weighs 55 lbs.
    Here is a picture of a pig of lead and a web site were you can get pure lead and Alloy.
    Before I retired from plumbing this was the place in Wisconsin to get my joint lead and wiping solder, and Babbitt for repairing steam valve seats.

Kurt

http://www.acrosales.com/index.shtml

http://www.alchemycastings.com/images/55lb%20Pig.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Another possibility is that the wire could be is pencil weight for drift fishing salmon/steelhead. I haven't ever seen it on a spool, normally it comes in 1 or 5lb and in 3/16" or 1/4" diameters and in solid or hollow core.

Boolit Buddy
    I found some soft lead tubing that looks a lot like what you have, mine was hollow like tubing and dead soft. I found it when I bought my new place. The original owner was a pack rat and worked for the phone company. Good posibility that if yours if hollow you have phone wire shielding. Not sure exactly how or where it was used though. It do make good muzzle loader bullets though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12