Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Needle gun

Boolit Grand Master

Needle gun

Anyone ever load for a Needle gun????

Boolit Master
    Abunaitoo -

Howdy !

You might want to ask the paper-patch boys.

From memory ( based on a needle gun article I read a while back ), the needle has to penetrate well into the powder; and hit the percusion cup ( primer ) positioned near the top of the powder charge. The needle's propulsion spring would have to have sufficient oomph to send it through the paper " casing ".

This reminds of the newer Dr. Palmisano idea... to route primer flash well fwd into the powder charge, by means of a small hollow tube running up the center of the case.

" There's no new thing....."

Regards,
    .357Mag

" Don't exaggerate ! ...... " I've told you a THOUSAND times !! "

Boolit Master
    There are two needle guns that I know of the German Dryse which has a needle that is long and must penetrate the powder charge to hit a primer at the base of the projectile. And the French Chasepot that had a felt washer and primer at the base of the cartridge. I read an article about making cartridges for the Dryse needle gun and it was quite complicated as the primer had to be fixed at a point that the needle wound hit it. As I recall the original cartridges had a Sabot with the primer fitted in the base of the sabot with an egg shaped bullet in a cup on the other end.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have one, YET.
    Just want to see how much work it would be to shoot one.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe in "Tough Trip Through Paradise", Andrew Garcia states that the Indians much preferred the needleguns, and would have no other in trade. It has been some years since I read the book, but am pretty sure he was referring to the Springfield Trapdoor.
    If you like early Montana history, be sure to read the book.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

The American NEEDLE gun was the 50-70 trapdoor Springfield. So called because the long firing pin was like a needle. This was the gun Bill Cody favored for horseback hunting and called, if I remember right, Lucretia Borgia.

I agree that this is a great book... one of those you wish was longer... and this one is a true.
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I believe in "Tough Trip Through Paradise", Andrew Garcia states that the Indians much preferred the needleguns, and would have no other in trade. It has been some years since I read the book, but am pretty sure he was referring to the Springfield Trapdoor.
    If you like early Montana history, be sure to read the book.

Boolit Master

Jeramiah Johnson also

Old "Liver Eatin Johnson" also mentions a "needle gun" in his biography. Seems he had one himself if my recollection is correct. I think he was very impressed with the performance of same. I think that was the first I ever heard of such a thing and from his account I couldn't figure out what it was other than some kind of cartridge gun and not a ML. 10ga

Boolit Master
    The indians and white men called the trapdoor Springfields needle guns because of there long range and power. I own several and last October went to Wyoming on a buffalo hut and bagged a cow buffalo with my 1866 Trapdoor at 125 yards. The load was a lyman 450 gr FP over 70 gr of GOEX FFG Loaded in a Starline case. One shot and one dead Buffalo. Its good eating too.