RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: 25/20 Win Barrel Length, Twist, Action Help

Boolit Master

25/20 Win Barrel Length, Twist, Action Help

When I was younger and I would bum a cigarette from my uncle, I would ask for a cigarette and his lighter. He would always respond, "It looks like all you have is the habit."

Well, the same goes here. I traded my old Savage 23 to some guy that offered me an ungodly sum of money that I could not turn down...So no 25/20...anymore.
    Lately I have had the urge to get another, and have been looking, and looking. I would prefer a single shot. Maybe a new barrel for my contender frame?

In the current (July-Aug. 2009) Fouling Shot there is a question about 25/20(single shot) prefered length of barrel, and rate of twist when shooting plain based boolits. Ed responds by saying the longer the better, and a 1 in 12 twist is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or advice? Should go with a new barrel for my Contender carbine? If not what action? Second, and third questions; what barrel length and rate of twist should I opt for? I will most likely be shooting Lyman 257205 or 283 in it.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 09-24-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    I am certainly not going to tell you what action to use but I suggest the 1 X 10" twist. My casting for rifles began with Lyman 257312 and i am still real partial to it. I have used that boolit in eight different 25.20s and the accuracy has bin lackluster at best. Then I tried it in my custom Sako that has a Douglas Supreme barrel with a 1 X 10" twist and is chambered for 250 Savage and lo and behold, it produced the smallest cast loads of any of my rifles. Stabilization is much improved. Well, that is my two cents worth. I must say, those 257312s worked real well on those Avenal Jacks. Neil

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input Jak. Where do you live up there in ND? Believe it or not, I have been saving to move there...it is my idea of paradise. All the best, SG

I went the Contender route. Two barrels, a 10" pistol and a 24" carbine both from Ed's Contenders. I'm working on finishing a Bullberry stock set for the carbine and hope to have finished pictures real soon now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Plater View Post
    I went the Contender route. Two barrels, a 10" pistol and a 24" carbine both from Ed's Contenders. I'm working on finishing a Bullberry stock set for the carbine and hope to have finished pictures real soon now.
    Plater, What boolits are you using with this combo?

I have been using 75 grain GC and 85 PB from NEI. Also have a supply of the bulk Remington .25-20 factory J-bullets. I never felt the need to go heavier and besides, I've got a couple of .250's for that. Accuracy seems to favor AA1680 in the carbine barrel and H110 in the pistol with small pistol primers and is not fussy about which bullet.

Boolit Master
    Plater, Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.