MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samples of .45's for Keith Group Buy

Boolit Master

Samples of .45's for Keith Group Buy

Here are a couple more examples for consideration for the Keith Group buy.

Jerry

Left to Right: NEI .451-310 (GC machined off of mould), RCBS 45-255KT, Lyman 452424 Square groove, Ideal 454424 Square groove, Ballisti-Cast #1101(=HG #501)

Last edited by GLL; 03-24-2006 at 03:46 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Jerry-
    I've looked several of these over and am somewhere there in the middle on a design. I don't think anyone wants the Keith original (Ideal 454424 square groove) on this, so something more appropriate would seem in order. All this is up for debate when all of them get posted. Several samples of each would help, please tag each one good. If you have any others please send also. I believe you have my address still don't you?

Boolit Master
    45 2.1:

My choice would be the H&G #501(BC#1101) with the RCBS 45-255KT nose glued on !

I sent Catshooter a couple pounds of samples that included multiples of all of these. Let me know if he does not forward any to you and I will make up another batch.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by GLL
    45 2.1:

My choice would be the H&G #501(BC#1101) with the RCBS 45-255KT nose glued on !

I sent Catshooter a couple pounds of samples that included multiples of all of these. Let me know if he does not forward any to you and I will make up another batch.

Jerry
    Thats pretty close to what I have already drawn.

The Hensley and Gibbs version looks to me to be the original Keith concept better than the others with three driving bands of equal width and one square lube groove and the blunt nose. That is the one I would go with.

Here are a couple more examples for consideration for the Keith Group buy.
    I would particpate in a group buy for something based on the the Ballisti-Cast #1101 (H&G Keith). Less interested in the others pictured.

Anyone know what the crimp-to-meplat length is on the Ballisti-Cast #1101?

-ktw

Banned

id take one too if it the bc bullet

Boolit Master

I'm interested too. Looking for a lighter weight hunting bullet for my 45LC's I like the one on the far right in the picture.

Boolit Master
    ktw:

I will measure the #1101 for you Thursday and post it here.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    The one on the far right seems to be the best the for me.

Jason

The bullet on the far right is a very good bullet. This was the Dry Creek 45-255-K John Taffin and Brian Pearce so loved. It's my favorite standard weight 45 Colt bullet. It will cast and releases with ease from the Ballisti Cast moulds (I have 2 ea. 4 cavity). While it's a tad short it still feeds very well from a collator. Most my casting stuff is still packed but here's a picture of some.
    Last edited by LAH; 10-28-2010 at 05:52 PM.

KTW ask: Anyone know what the crimp-to-meplat length is on the Ballisti-Cast #1101?

I don't remember offhand but seems it worked in the S&W & Rugers with ease.

Boolit Buddy
    LAH,

I don't know either, but I used to buy these from a local caster I'm pretty sure (almost all his stuff was H&G), and they shot very well. He quit casting 45 Colt because demand wasn't enough and he would only sell 500 bullets per show max (1/2 the time me).

That being said, I would be happy to have a Keith Design 38/357 (good for K-frames), 44, and 45 copy in the LEE six cavity. Not to highjack this thread but maybe to start a succession of great inexpensive bullets.

My biggest complaint is that the local casters seem to come and go, and I want something I can depend on not changing my loads every time I go to buy bullets, so that means, buy myself.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by LAH
    KTW ask: Anyone know what the crimp-to-meplat length is on the Ballisti-Cast #1101?

I don't remember offhand but seems it worked in the S&W & Rugers with ease.
    I still have some I bought from you. I was not sure which mold you used to produce them until your post above. Those measure out at .370" c-to-m.

They do work well in my ruger. No complaints.

They are too long for a FA/97 cylinder. Need to feed that with something no longer than .350" c-to-m (e.g. the NEI 454-270-pbk).

-ktw

p.s. I was happy buying bullets from you. When you quit, you drove me to start casting my own. A sincere thank you for that, too.

KTW I'm glad you're casting. Nothing like it.

You're correct about the C to M length. They wouldn't work in the short FA. I sold a lot of the Lyman Silver Star bullets to FA 97 owners. This is another great, under rated bullet.

I have BC 1101 moulds in both 255 & 265 gr. verisons, the difference being the length of the rear driving band. Both work great. I use the 255 gr as my standard bullet. For heavier stuff I like the RCBS 45-270-SAA.

J4570, like you I want a standard load/bullet for "my sixgun", meaning my everyday sixgun. One bullet, one load, shoot it, learn it, love it. Simple is better.

My guns like the RCBS 270-SAA by far the best. Anyone else shooting this with regularity? It was developed by Dave Scoville. Comes out to 280gr. in plain wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    I just measured the B-C #1101 in the photo and will confirm ktw's crimp-meplat as
    .370"

Jerry

I just measured the B-C #1101 in the photo and will confirm ktw's crimp-meplat as
    .370"

Jerry
    That measurement will put the meplat at the end of a single action cylinder with no room to spare. You might have to keep your brass trimmed.

Banned

tell you what would be slick is if you had lee cut a mold like the h&g or the rcbs 270 and had them do it with three cavitys plain based and three gas checked.

Red face

So just how heavy are we talking here for our finished product? I'd really like to see something that will through my WW boolits somewhere around 275-290 grns.

I've got the wonderful 452423 that was a group buy last year. I really like that mold, but find the boolit is a bit light for my tastes in the .45 Colt. I tend to use it in my .45 acp revolvers. I also have a version of the 452424 which is nice, and I have a couple of molds that through .45 boolits at 320 grains. So I'd like a middle of the road for my main shootin' boolit. That would be best (in my opinion) at around 285 grns.

Just my vote...
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast