Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 40 S&W Loads

Talking 40 S&W Loads

I'm looking to get some 40 S&W load data. I am using a lee TL 401-175-swc. I am going to shoot it out of a Glock 22 RTF. I have some Hornady and Sierra reloading books but they don't give eny cast bullet reloads So I need some good data I am going to use it for targets only so light loads is all I need. Thanks.

Talking

here ya go 2003 Winchester Data gives you a 170 and a 200 you should be able to extrapolate a good starting load assuming you have some WW231 or Super Target on hand. I load 10mm and 231 is my powder of choice for target loads at <900fps. I'll go downstairs later and grab my Sierra Hornady and Accurate manuals and see what I can find for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    μολών λαβέ

Lyman has some data for lead bullets. What powders do you want to use? I have had great results w/ Unique & WSF under 170gr-175gr LRNFP. Start @ 5.5gr & work upto 6gr max. I just have to remind you that GLock does NOT recommend lead bullets in their pistols w/ factory barrels. You may want to invest $120 in an aftermarket, conventional rifled barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    ...You may want to invest $120 in an aftermarket, conventional rifled barrel.

+1
    This is good advice. Polygonal rifling works great for J bullets. A conventional rifled aftermarket barrel also gives better chamber support for the cartridge. I blew up a G-22
    with the factory barrel shooting lead. No problems with lead in aftermarket barrel.

Mine is a now out of business F.A.C. barrel, Federal Arms Corps. There are many.
    Briley, Jarvis, Storm Lake, Wolf, ect..

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    That boolit gives fine results for me. I like it because a six banger mold gives a pile of boolits in a casting session. The TL process allows me to cast, lube, and load in a day and a half.

I use 5.7 gr AA#5 under that boolit. Accurate, economical, mild recoil, cycles the pistol.
    Clocks at 810 fps. I seat it a little deeper than recommended for cycling, I cut back the charge. My AA#5 is a surplus clone.

Have the same mold with the BB trimmed off to the first lube grove. Weighs 158 gr. or just under. 6.3 gr. of the same AA#5 cycles and gives great accuracy.

Work up any load carefully. High Pressure is a concern with the .40 S&W, especially if the boolits are seated deeper. Not so much of an issue with my trimmed boolit mold.
    It's the boolit I shoot now exclusively.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I load the Lee 175 gr TC bullets with Solo1000, which there is no data for as far as I know so use at your own risk.

I use 4.5 gr for around 1000fps and 3.5 gr for around 850 fps, both at 1.135 OAL.

The lower velocity load is really nice, very little recoil. It cycles my 2011 just fine but your Glock may need some work to run a load that light.

What powders do you have on hand, I have a Lyman manual at home I can look through when I get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by technetium-99m View Post
    I load the Lee 175 gr TC bullets with Solo1000, which there is no data for as far as I know so use at your own risk.

I use 4.5 gr for around 1000fps and 3.5 gr for around 850 fps, both at 1.135 OAL.

The lower velocity load is really nice, very little recoil. It cycles my 2011 just fine but your Glock may need some work to run a load that light.

What powders do you have on hand, I have a Lyman manual at home I can look through when I get off work.
    BTW, a 175gr bullet @ 850fps isn't far off factory 180grFMJ @ 950fps. Stock Glock should run fine on that.

Boolit Buddy
    I load that Lee boolit with 4 grains WST for target loads at 1.135". I have a Lone Wolf barrel in my Glock 23 that slugs .401 so I beagled up and size to .402. Anybody else use .402 boolits?

I shoot that same boolit in my g23 with stock bbl. After 1000+ rounds, no leading and great accuracy with 6.8 grains Hodgdon hs-6. For mild plinkers, I load 2.9 grains Bullseye...dumps the cases right at my feet. Both loads provide minute of popcan accuracy at 25 yards.

My buddies have had issues with loading 40 s&w down to minor power factor (180gr bullet at 800-825 fps in Glocks and XD's), most went to a little lighter bullet and that fixed it. In my experience a 180gr bullet at around 850 has very little recoil and there is no point in going any lower.

Most of the factory stuff I've chronoed has ran around 975-1000 fps out of my 5" barrel and made major power factor easily.

I have a Glock model 22 in 40 cal.
    I cast the Lee 175 tc boolit.
    Yep, I have an aftermarket Wolf barrel.
    I use 5.5g of VV N340, very accurate and very clean.
    231 works well also, but it seems to gunk up the gun.