MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 45-120 recoil?

Boolit Master

45-120 recoil?

Just how bad is the recoil on a 45-120? I have read it is pretty bad, but then again most people that complain about recoil are not exactly “gun people”. I have fired various American standards like the 308, 30-06, 270, 12ga, 7mm Mag, and many others that I can not remember, so roughly how much more would this round kick?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=45%2F120 look here there is a lot more in the search feature.

Boolit Master
    A lot of it depends on the weight of the gun. I have a reasonably heavy C. Sharps in .50-140 and the felt recoil with 650gr bullets is noticeably less than 400gr 1850fps loads from my much lighter Ruger #1 in .45-70.

I do shoot the big Sharps with some padding between the steel butt and my shoulder though.

I find the recoil in the heavier gun is much more like a hard shove than the "punch to the shoulder" hit from a lighter gun with smokeless loads.

With that said, it'd get tiresome shooting those loads all day long .

I should mention that the recoil is probably more than most of those you listed, although it would likey be significantly less than your 12ga.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a friend who several years ago ordered a .45-120 from Shiloh, waited about 5 years, received the rifle, fired it 6 times. sold it, and ordered one in .45-70. Waited more than 5 years for that one.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you are going to shoot at game with one or two shots then it would not be a problem. If you are going to lay on a mat and shoot 70 rds off the sticks it might be a different story. I sighted a friend of mine's guns for a African hunt back in the 80's. They were a 300 mag, 375 H&H, 458 mag and one other that I can't remember. Even after bore sighting I had to fire more than one round through each rifle. By the end of that session I was ready to quit.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 45-110 Shiloh in a 14.5 pound rifle. #1 heavy full octagon at 34 inches. Shotgun buttstock. I feed it 550 Grain boolits over 93 grains of Swiss 1.5F. I can shoot around 70 shots over the course of a day, sighters and record shots included. I'm not sore at the end of the day, but like any match it can take alot out of you and I am pretty worn out.

If you are going to get a rifle in 120 or 110, get the heaviest rifle you can. Shiloh does offer as an option now the heavy 16 pound barrels, and this option will cost you around $700.
    I know a fella in Hardin MT. that had a 16 pound gun in 50-90, shot around a 650 grain boolit, and man was that thing sweet. I may send my Shiloh in to get a heavier barrel one of these days. Kenny Wasserberger has pics posted of his new Shiloh elsewhere on this sight, and it's a heavy barrel rifle.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Recoil what Recoil those 45-120's are powder puff Guns lol. Get the 50-140

But really go with a 45-70 or a 45-90.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    If you plan to shoot it a lot you will get tired of it in a hurry. I had one built on a Browning SS action back 20 years ago and it kicked the stuffing out of me but that was a light rifle. I would say that it is a lot like firing a 12 ga Shotgun slug from a bench rest. You will also get more recoil per fps if you are loading black powder than smokeless because you burn more mass in the black and it acts like a rocket motor.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Just how bad is the recoil on a 45-120?
    I have been using 7mm Rem Mag as my primary hunting caliber for decades. I started with the Remington 700, and now I use a Browning 78.
    I have never been 'sensitive' to recoil, but forty rounds from a bench is enough for me. I'm not sore, but I stop 'having fun' along about round number thirty.

When I got my Sharps rifle, I went out with fifteen reloads to give it a try. By the time they were gone, I was happy there were no more. During the second session, fifteen was all I wanted, again.

I bought a shoulder pad to wear, and that made shooting comfortable enough to enjoy putting fifteen downrange. But, I didn't like the way the gun mounted, so I went looking for something else.

I put in a mercury recoil reducer...which also brought the gun up to 12 pounds, 1 ounce. I found I could shoot fifteen rounds with relative comfort, but it was not a cure-all.

I scrounged around and found a brand of shoulder pad that I like. It does a good job of protecting my bones from the steel buttplate, and the mercury unit is still in there...doing it's thing.

So now, after a good bit of adjusting to the peculiarities of a Sharps rifle, I enjoy shooting heavy charges and big bullets from my .45/90.

But, I wouldn't keep a .45/120 if you gave it to me.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 07-20-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I shooting friend of mine has both a 45-90 and a 50-90 in Shiloh Sharps buffalo rifles. I have fired both of them about 20 times and they are both a joy to shoot.

The 45 does recoil a mite less than the 50-90. A relative of his got bitten by the BPCR bug and bought a Browning 1885 single shot in 45-70. His had a poorly cut chamber so he sprung for a custom chamber reamer and made a 45-90 out of his buffalo gun.

The price was right on the gun and the sights that it come with are pretty nice. I got to fire his rifle and I fell in love with it. He had some trigger work done on it and it has got to be the nicest trigger on any rifle I have ever fired. It was even nicer than the single set trigger on my CZ's {.22 LR and .223} and that is going some.

It shoots less than MOA at 100 yds and that is with just lubed lead boolits. I cannot wait until I get to paper patch these babies.

He promised the loan of his chamber reamer and this is a project I am looking forward to.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I have a Shiloh Saddle Rifle in 45-2 7/8" that weighs about 10lb. I feel less recoil with it than with a 12 ga shooting 3" mag.

Put a maxi pad, or a gel shoe insert in you vest or shirt. No problems then!
    Unless your shooting with your mouth open, lol.
    masscaster

Boolit Master
    I started piddling with Sharps rifles in the late 1970's and have been fortunate to fire several different calibers. Some were mine and some belonged to friends - most were originals. I currently own a Shiloh .45-70 that I purchased new (when they were still in Farmingdale so that dates it). They also didn't have a 5 year wait back then.

At any rate, I think the .45-70 is the most practical cartridge due to case availability but the .40-90 is probably my favorite. The .40 calibers were very popular in the heyday of these rifles due to their relatively flat trajectories and the modern .40-65 is also a good choice if you shoot a lot (necked down .45-70). The .45-90 and .50-90 are also practical rounds but anything larger than these two can be a real beast with regard to recoil and powder/lead consumption. I am fairly lean in the upper body so don't have much meat to offset a steel buttplate and I wear a PAST recoil shield when I shoot off the bench - without it, I get pretty bruised and am sore for several days. I typically like to shoot 20-50 shots in a target session and even the .45-70 is punishing in a 9 lb rifle. A few shots while hunting is never a problem but steady shooting at the bench can be a painful experience. Personally, I would not own a .45-120 but everyone is entitled to their own preferences.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 08-01-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It also depends on your age. If you are still young then you have that I can shoot anything mind set. When you reach your late 50's early 60's as I am then you say to yourself " WHY DO I WANT TO DO THIS AND I NO LONGER NEED TO IMPRESS" . Just finished a shooting day that included a CAS match in a open field with the temps at 95 with the same humidity. We then pulled out the Buffalo rifles. I shot 30 rds of 45-70 with full loads behind a 535 Postell some with a 525gr and several rounds out of a Shiloh 50-90. My socks were wet and pants soaked and I was ready to call it a day when my two friends agreed I was done!!! The shooting was in Natchez, Mississippi and the Buffalo shooting was 20 miles east and then you have the 130 mile drive home. 45-120 , not now or ever for me!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet