Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

Bullets for .351

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    threedflyer What do you use for bullets? I did not know there was a source of .351 Diameter bullets currently.
    There is a fellow named Don who goes by "Mistynook" on Gunbroker. He sells a very good gas checked lead round nose for the .351 for a reasonable price.
    Fast delivery!

Here is a link to his auction page, you can contact him through the link.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276871815

I have shot these and just received 300 more.

Tom

Boolit Master

Thanks I size my own from .357 bullets but others are not as lucky that is why I asked.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned

Reviving an old thread here. I recently learned my youngest brother is teh proud owner of a Model 1907. He does handload, but doesn't cast and isn't nearly the handloading geek that I am.

Soooo, I'm intrigued with the problem set of producing ammo for this rifle. I'm in the process of hunting up some dies, we have a gun show nearby and there's usually an older genleman who deals in all kinds of old reloading stuff, who I hope will have a set.

Now for bullets. It seems the undersized .35 bullet molds are hard to find and I'm not sure the molds I have will size down well enough. I have the Lyman 358311 which is the one I would preferto try. Once I get a .352 sizer, I'll see if it will sized down without deforming too much.

While at a gun shop in anpother town that generally has a lot of old stuff, but isn't as well organized as it could be, I ran across a pristine Ideal 350447, nominally 183 grain gas check design for the .348 Winchester. I don't have it yet because the owner wasn't there to give me a price and I wanted to consult here. Will this bullet work? It's the right weight range. I guess it will depend on how large they drop from that mold.

Did Lyman ever make .351 or .352 sized dies? Anyone know where I could get one? I know Lee will make a push through sizer in whatever size a guy needs, and I'll go that route if need be, but I'd like to use my 450 for sizing and lubing.

Boolit Master

richhodg66 Do you have cases? I size .357 bullets to .351 with good lock these are both jacketed and cast . The 351 can be loaded with dies for 38 special or .357 mag just the shell holder is different. Any more questions I can answer later as I am watching the thread.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Mold
    351 sl dies, I have loaded for my 351 using 357 mag dies, the case sizes mic out the same and seem to work out good and doesn't cost a bunch for dies....Old west scrounger makes ammo for this gun useing 357 max cases. The thing I have run into is the bullets, thanks to a posting here I will make my own sizing die and see how that works...Thanks for the post Spruce....

Boolit Master

Not sure if i put it in this thread but i have had good luck trimming .223/5.56 NATO cases to the proper length and using them . I have kept these loads just at the point were they function my gun well and not loaded them to full pressure yet.

Boolit Mold
    I recently picked up a .351 from a friend and would love to be able to shoot it! Finding ammo is proving to be more of a pain than I had expected. I did find some but for $3 plus per round I think I'd rather reload... My dad has an old press that he's willing to let me use... no idea make but I think its a lyman... but he doesn't have dies for .351 just .357 and .38sp... If anyone is willing to help a newbie get started on making some ammo for this gun I'd really appreciate the assistance. Also, if anyone is selling bulk .351 rounds or brass/bullets I'd be interested in making an offer. Thanks for reading this and hope to hear from someone soon.

-Ryan

Boolit Master

RSVmax did you read the above posts? You can reload the 351 with 357 mag. dies fine the trouble is getting good brass and bullets I have a sizer that resizes .357 pistol bullets to .351 and i use them . You can send me a personal message or reply here were are you at? Cases can be made several ways they are listed above the simplest is probably using .223/5.56 NATO shortened to proper length good starting loads can be used from a .357 loading manual remember the gun is recoil operated and the breach is not locked so watch for pressure signs . These are great old guns mine was made in 1916 and is in excellent shape i have taken two deer with it and have shot 1" fifty yard groups at 50 yds. using RESIZED 170 gr Sierra JHC bullets . Those bullets are not a great choice for deer as they do terrible damage though they do punch though a deer all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RSVmax View Post
    I recently picked up a .351 from a friend and would love to be able to shoot it! Finding ammo is proving to be more of a pain than I had expected. I did find some but for $3 plus per round I think I'd rather reload... My dad has an old press that he's willing to let me use... no idea make but I think its a lyman... but he doesn't have dies for .351 just .357 and .38sp... If anyone is willing to help a newbie get started on making some ammo for this gun I'd really appreciate the assistance. Also, if anyone is selling bulk .351 rounds or brass/bullets I'd be interested in making an offer. Thanks for reading this and hope to hear from someone soon.

-Ryan
    Ryan,
    Drop me an email regarding bullets/brass for your .351, and include your phone number.
    Tom
    tomgraham01@msn.com

Boolit Mold
    This is my first post on this forum, lucky for me that this thread popped up on a google search. I recently pieced an '07 Winchester together and have been trying to figure out how to make some ammo for it. I bought 100 cast bullets from Mistynook on GB, 190gr round nose with a gas check and needed some brass. I tried cutting off a .223 as mentioned earlier in this thread but my extractor wouldn't catch the rim at all so I picked up some .357 max brass at a gun show.

I turned a piece of aluminum to act as a mandrel to hold the case in the lathe. The mandrel is stepped to accommodate the taper inside the brass case. The small diameter allows the bottom of the case to sit flat against the end with the live center pressing the case against the end of the mandrel The point of the center actually goes through the flash hole so I had to center drill the mandrel for clearance.

The HSS tool bit is ground to give the ejector flat and 18 degree taper for the extractor groove.

I turned the rim to .41" and set the cross slide to zero to use on all the other cases.

Next I moved over to the top of the rim and plunged the tool bit in .056" to form the extractor groove.

I finished up a bunch of cases to this point before moving over to cut the length with the same tool bit. If I had a lathe DRO I would have done all the steps before removing the case.

30 years ago I used to reload everything I shot but haven't done much reloading in the last 20 years. Luckily I kept all my equipment. I still need to fins some powder for these rounds, hopefully I'll be able to find it at the next show.

Perma-Banned

These have the coolest loaders out there I wish there was still one that used a plunger cocker.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent! I see you know your way around the 3700lb magic wand.
    .357 max? never would have thought of that. Great pictures too BTW.
    I run a Jacobs collet chuck too on occasion.
    Welcome to castboolits!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

I'd like to have one of the WSL one day..

Boolit Mold
    This is the first time I've ever had to modify brass to shoot a build, I think that's why I was attracted to this gun. I've spent hours reading every thread I could find on reloading the .351SL and was lucky enough that others did all the pioneer work to figure it out. I paid $80 for the rusty rifle parts with no magazine or wood and was able to restore it to shooting condition only to discover that I couldn't buy ammo because the price has been driven sky high. Last box I found for sale was $2.70/rd.

I'm a big fan of the Jacobs rubberflex chuck since I first used one in 1981. I probably use it for 75% of the stuff I make now.

Boolit Master

Holescreek That is the same way i came to this forum though my Winchester 1907. Welcome to castboolits. I will give you the standard warnings when you get 30 days and i think 30 posts "The Pit" will open up when it does if you need blood pressure medicine take it before entering "Religion and Politics" and no eating or drinking while in "Humor and Off Topic" as we do not clean screens or keyboards! Enjoy your 1907 i really like mine but do not use it as much as i should it is a good shooting gun. Do you know you can size .357 pistol bullets down for use in it?

Boolit Mold
    I was originally thinking of making a sizing die to squeeze the .357 rounds down to .352 but after finding the premade ones I decided to get the rifle shooting first before putting anymore time in it. If it turns out to be fun, I'll put more effort in.

Here was the rifle as received:

Now:

All I have left to do on the rifle is find/buy/make a rear sight.

Boolit Master

You did a great job on it looks like the rifle was well abused before you. Congratulations on saving a piece of history.

Boolit Mold
    " Temporarily Unavailable - Back-Orders OK" It's had that on the page for a long time.

Boolit Mold
    I too am luck enough to own one, also have a brand new barrel for it if I ever need it.
    Have not seen many that came with two barrels.
    Here is a small sample of some of my factory ammo, and also some of my 180Gr Bullets I pick up when I can.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast