WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: winchester mold

Boolit Bub

winchester mold

I just came into possesion of a winchester single cavity mold that drops a .454 at 235 gr--never knew win made any molds anyone ever run into them????

cowboyt

Boolit Master

I've got a couple, WInchester made all kinds of things in the past.

Boolit Grand Master

I see them on ebay all the time.
    Aim small, miss small!

I have a very nice 38-55 that I'm thinking of posting on the classifieds here. These were last made about 1917 I think. I'm torn between keeping a really nice collectable and offering it to someone who has the vintage rifle to use it with. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Grand Master
    Not only did Winchester make bullet moulds, but they made a variety of reloading tools (hand held) as well. Some of them quite practical and ingenious, some approaching the Rube Goldberg level.

I was fortunate enough to gather a set of tools for my original .32-40 high-wall based on the 1894 reloading tool and on original Winchester bullet mould. I wouldn't mind having that .38-55 mould to go with that set!

You might also encounter tools marked for Marlin, Sharps or others. There is some evidence that many of the moulds and perhaps other tools were made by a single company in Bridgeport, (Conn?) and furnished to the gun manufacturers.

HTH ~ Froggie

PS I'm going to a gun show this weekend, and hope springs eternal...

Boolit Buddy

Smile Hey RockyDog-

What shape is the 38-55 winchester mold in? Have you cast any bullets with it yet to see what diameter it drops? Should be somewhere between .375 and .381
    Any chance you can post a photo or two?
    I'm reviving an original Win Model 94 in 38-55 and finding a mold that drops a .380-.381 boolit is proving a challenge-
    Any idea what you want for it?

348wcf

358, I left my camera at work. If I remember to bring it home I'll take a couple of photos. I have not cast with it yet as I'm just getting set up to cast. The cavity and block as well as the wood handles are in excellent shape. There is a patch of corrosion on one handle between the wood handle and the block. Otherwise very good overall. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    I have one for the 32/20. Nicely made. Worked fine the one time I cast with it. Made a bullet about like Lyman's 3118 but with a bevel base IIRC. Unusual with the sprue cutter pointing to the front. Only a single cavity though so production is pretty slow and I am loading for a revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    If R-D's mould runs true to form, it should cast very well. My Winchester .32-40 mould casts fully as well as a contemporary Ideal mould I got with the reloading tool... of course condition is important as is the actual size of the bullet dropped. These moulds are much too valuable and historic to go about trying to alter them for "better" bullets!

froggie

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

win

I have a win tool and mold for the 32/20. I loaded many rds for a 73 win. I got it 1937 and still have it. you youngsters dont know how many guns an stuff there was before you were born.later I got another 73 in AL in 1945 in gun shop $5.00,the colt lightning was $3.00
    Last edited by TAWILDCATT; 08-05-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: sp
    WILDCATT

In Remebrance

A guy I know had a set of Winchester roller skates, fishing reels and some Winchester hatchets. They made everything, just like Remington does today.

In Remembrance
    Yep, I have 14 Winchester moulds that are in good usable condition and a few others that need some repair work...screws, sprue plate, etc.; and 7 Winchester tong tools. The moulds are nice because they cast the boolits that were used in the "old" ones. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM