Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why paper patch?

The next step is to work on my .303 No4 Longbranch.
    I have one too. Is yours a two-groove?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Yup, two groove. Made in 1945.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Say Crash, I did a wee bit of testing of my two-groove the other day with j-words and patched. If I don't squeeze the stock and time my heartbeats, it seems to shoot those j-words real accurately! Can't say the same for the patched but at closer range they hit point of aim. I am busy lengthening the butt so I don't get smacked on the eye-brow so I can hold it loosely. It is fitted with an invention of mine - a 'quiet muzzle break' - so recoil is no issue. Squeezing the stock made the rifle shoot erratically.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

30 Cal.(.308) Gas Check Paper Patch Rifle Bullet Mold

I thought I would post a photo of the custom 30 cal gas check paper patch mold and boolits that it casts. The first is as cast, the second is with gas check and the last is with patch applied and lube. The patch ends just above the gas check and is 10mm wide with two wraps. I have obtained 2500 fps (over chronograph) with it (semi-soft alloy) with 1.5 MOA at 50 yards. It also gives over 60 cal expansion with good penetration and 84% retention of weight. One shooter reported to me he obtained 2650 fps out of his 30-06 Tikka with 2 MOA at 100 yards on his initial load. With paper patch technology great things are possible!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30 Cal GCPP Bullet Mold 004.jpg  

Beekeeper
    pdawg shooter,
    Where are you getting your computer paper?
    Around here no one does the readouts anymore so no computer paper.

beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    It is simple. Paper patching lets you get jacketed bullet performance form cast, home made bullets. Match the BHN to the velocity and you have the perfect hunting bullet. No leading because the lead never touches the barrel. It is very rewarding to match performance of a high dollar condom bullet with something you made yourself.
    Spot on!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master
    main question I have is WHY? Is it just to reduce leading or are there also accuracy improvements? Is this mainly for older calibers, or applicable to 308 and the like?
    1. WHY? Its a tried and true way to better the performance of cast lead shooting. "Far and away harder to be accomplished at than simply G/c'ing a lead boolit.

2. Is it just to reduce leading?__For less hardened lead known to streak and flame cut easily.>absolutely. For all other hardened for purpose lead (rifle & pistol) Yes it ensures such boolit lead will less likely streak a barrel. Better than G/c ing alone.

3. Are there also accuracy improvements?__ Not always. Choice of cartridge_caliber-components use_and patching technique all matter.

4. Is this mainly for older calibers?__ No. But large bore calibers having straight wall cartridge brass have always been a better candidate.

5. Applicable to 308 and the like? Yes. If your willing to be persistent in experimenting. Paper Patching accomplishment. "Its mainly a learn as you do experience." Although there is allot knowledge left by other members who were very accomplished at Paper Patching. "so to speak Techniques and Tips to follow." __Found in the (Stickys above.)

Boolit Buddy
    my first exposure to paper patching was from reading "point of impact" which was the basis for the movie shooter which also has paper patching as part of the conspiracy to not imprint "new" rifling on the bullet...(total bs as paper patched bullets still get engraved with rifling) it was also used in "quigly down under" then i started casting and wandering down the worm hole bough the paper jacket

i got into paper patching mostly because its neat beyond its ability to allow lead bullets to be fired faster

Boolit Master
    Ya"ll know this thread died in 2009 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It's still a interesting topic to us newer members . Sharing your knowledge is appreciated .

Boolit Master
    Resurrection is Gr~~eat.
    For me. Beats watching day time news re-runs on CNN & Fox.

Boolit Master
    For years I've been paper patching for my 45-70 single shots. Super easy and fast after a little experience. Lee 340 gr sized down to .452 and patched back up to .459 over light loads of Unique. Great accuracy and no leading.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    It's still a interesting topic to us newer members . Sharing your knowledge is appreciated .
    Spot on mate! I will never really consider any threads dead, they are still good reading gor ppl interested in the given topic. So is it really dead??

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Spot on mate! I will never really consider any threads dead, they are still good reading gor ppl interested in the given topic. So is it really dead??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12