Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Help is it???

Boolit Master

Help is it???

Ok is it Windex plus vinger or Windex plus ammonia as a solvent for Black Powder????

Also I have an old Renegade 54 cal. that has rust in the chamber area. How do I remove it? I think I will use a bore brush wrapped with steel wool and swab it out and then oil the heck out of it. What are your thoughts????...Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Vineger !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Don't use steel wool! It can degrade the rifleing. Get a Copper Chore Boy pad.
    It helps with rust. I have also used fine valve lapping compound on a patch or two. Seems to work fairly well.
    My wife has an old CVA Kentucky cap lock rifle. It has sat with a charge in it for over 20yrs! I pulled the ball, thought I had gotten the powder, put a cap on it and scared the hell out of our cat!
    Whoopsie.
    Love the smell though.
    Her bore was a rust jungle. I scrubbed it with Chore Boy, then dried it off and lubed it with patch lube. I went to the range with it and fired some off. I used the fine lapping compound on 5 of my patches. Got a nice bright bore. Good rifleing. Some scratches on the muzzle part of the bore, no biggee.
    Now she plays with it at the range. She loaded an heavy charge and got a bruise.
    Now she a rifleperson.
    Chore Boy.
    It cleans fairly well.

Boolit Buddy

I have only used dish soap and BOILING water and scrub, scrub, scrub then rinse well with BOILING water. Oil while the barrel is to hot to hold (use leather glove) and put away muzzle facing down to let oil drain and not pool in chamber area. In the 30 years I've been shooting these smoke poles I have never had rust in any of them.

In truth there are no short cuts to cleaning BP, done the right way your guns last forever. Elbow grease and a little sweat gets the job done like no other method. Beware of products that seem to make the job easier, they may cost you your guns in the long run.

As far as the rust in the chamber area. How far does it go up the barrel? If only in chamber area and your projectile will not touch it all you need to do is stop the rusting because it will not effect acccuracy. If you can get the breach plug out you will have a better idea of how to handle the rust plus making it easier to clean up. With the breach plug out you can use your steel wool and brush for a few inches up the barrel (not the whole lenght, just enough to get the rust out) with no ill effects on how your Renegade will shoot.

2shot

Boolit Master

BP cleaning

Boolit Buddy
    Just get a drop in .58 Roundball barrel from Green Mountain! and get rid of the small bore!
    That is what the rust is trying to tell you, the bore is too small!

Boolit Master

Mike Venturino's old recipe is one bottle Vinegar Windex in a gallon jug & fill with water. Everyone has their own concoction but this works for me with a minimum of hassel. I've been using it for years with no problems on my BPCRs and MLs.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I just use the store bought Windex with vinegar straight, but have read about the mix that Boz330 uses. It would be cheaper but I'm one of those Tim Allen kind of guys "MORE POWER" I also mix my moosemilk with a 7-1 instead of the 10-1 used by most
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

On the range anything I have on hand at the time. Ive used rusty duck cabelase BP cleaner Hoppys Bp cleaner windex windshiled washer fluid, or spit:they all work about the same for me. lots of times just a bore brush to get fouling out works fine. brokenima
    at the end of the day for final cleaning hot soapy water.

i use SIMPLE GREEN .COST ABOUT $9.00 a gal cleans great .
    other club members swearby1 part prooxide1 part water 1part lestoild . some use windex, some moosemilk . i guess there meanymore./

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    Use plain water, you can add soap if you want to wash your hands later.

Boolit Buddy

Hot water! If you just HAVE to make a mixture, use water & Ballistol. No harsh acids.

This isn't rocket science people. I've used just plain hot water & NEVER had a problem. All I shoot is REAL black powder. No subs..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM