RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What was your first gun?

Boolit Master
    My first gun that I could call mine was a Topper model 20 gauge shotgun.. The first gun I bought was a T/C Contender in 30-30 Winchester. I still own both of them.

Other than a Daisy BB gun My first was a Western Auto 12 Ga single shot .
    I really liked that gun

RR
    PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!!
    HOME OF THE 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S.........

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Boolit Buddy
    My first gun was / is a Remington 512 .22 bolt action repeater. You guessed it, I still have it. Countless rabbits and other small critters have fallen to that rifle, and I still enjoy shooting it. Maybe someday I should get the barrel re-lined. It actually was the starter gun for my two older brothers as well, I'm just the last in line and decided to keep it.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Buddy

Old remington scoremaster bolt action, loved that gun and would never tell dad how heavy it was for a kid my age. Walked many a mile with that old rifle till I was relived of it in 1985, stolen from my truck outside the movie house while watching amityville 3d, told gf I didnt want to see that$%^#&#* movie to start with, glad I didnt marry her!!

Boolit Master

A 1920 Savage .22 LR Bolt action, 12 Gauge Baker side by side, then came a Remington Nylon 66 .22 {great accuracy} then a Remington 514 Single Shot .22. Then puberty and girls and I put the guns away. Later I became a NYC cop and got a Smith Model 10 .38 which I still have. Along came a Smith model 10 with a 2 inch bbl which I traded off for a Smit 586 many years later. Today I still have the Model 10 cop gun and the 586 along with another 10 handguns and a handful of long guns.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France

This is my first ''firearm''

As kids we called them spud guns......it cost 2 shillings and sixpence from Woolworths....that was an awful lot of saved pocket money back then!

....you had to dig the front half of the lttle cartridge into a potato so a plug of potato was left in the cartridge.....

....then you had to place a cap or two into the back of the little cartridge....there was a small hole from the cap end into the back of the section with the potato lodged in it........these paper rolls of caps used to contain a microscopic amount of Black Powder...so I guess that also makes my first ''firearm'' a black powder weapon!

....then you loaded the cartridge into the gun and went looking for a ''target''!.....

...we (we were all about 6 or 7 years old) used to have shoot outs in the street...one gang versus another.....and I can tell you within about 6 to 8 feet those little bits of potato really used to sting on a bare arm or leg.....looking back now, 50 years later it's a wonder none of us lost an eye!

Safe shooting,

Limey
    Last edited by Limey; 07-21-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    My first gun was a Webley Mark IV that was virtually identical to the one pictured below:

I bought it in a private transaction when I was 18 years old, ......And I owned it right up to the day when my ex-wife's attorney got everything that I owned. (By that time, I was collecting Webleys.)

That ugly old gun saved my butt a couple of times; ....and it was a real wrench to see it go.

I am still looking to replace my beloved, lost Webleys: ........If anyone has a good "shooter" they want to part with, ......I have a clean, Belgian (assembled in Portugal) Browning Hi-Power I am willing to trade! (I still have the box!)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    My first gun was a Webley Mark IV that was virtually identical to the one pictured below:
    Kent,

Funny you should mention it.
    I was raised in N.Central Il, and had one identical back in the '60s.
    It was quite a gun and I have regretted selling it for many years.
    The collectors have driven the prices of the Webleys up higher than any sensible person would pay.
    I can, and have, bought used Ruger singl action revolvers for half the price of a shootable Webley.
    Next time, I'm going to be born either smart or rich!

Jack

My first gun was a Jennings 380 I bought lets say I filled out a yellow form. My first official gun was a cheap sears roebuck branded mossberg pump for $100 from a pawn shop. I sawed down the barrel and stock to a fine lupara size for home defense. I gave it away to a couple that needed something once I got my 1300 Defender.

An Ithica single-shot .22 lever action.

Those were the days...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    M95 straight yanker in the original 8x50r chambering. Sporterized.
    Traded for labor from a good friend when I was 14 or 15. What an awesome rifle. 5 shot stripper clip fed(shoot 5 and the clip falls out the bottom ready for more).
    Straight bolt. 8mm with plenty of power. Awesome little rifle. Shot my first russian boar with it. Just don't try and find ammo. I think 20 rounds cost me 85 bucks from scrounger back when I got it.

It's in the closet waiting for the kids.
    Use 7.62x54R brass. reform and trim to fit. Lee makes a nice 205gr boolit mold as well.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
    An Ithica single-shot .22 lever action.

Those were the days...

I had one of those!!!

It was kinda a pseudo-martini action, ......right?? (....And a hammer that took about 40 pounds of force to cock?? )

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master
    In 1949 I got a J.C. Higgins (Sears) single shot .22 for my 8th birthday. It apparently was made by Marlin. It accounted for a couple truck loads of rabbits in the peanut fields along the Brazos River of central Texas ! I think it cost my father around $6.00 from the catalog. I still have the gun and it is very accurate.

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 07-21-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    I had one of those!!!

It was kinda a pseudo-martini action, ......right?? (....And a hammer that took about 40 pounds of force to cock?? )

Kent
    That's the one. Mine smoothed out after the first 10,000 rounds or so. IIRC they sold for around $14 and a box of long rifle cartridges was 19 cents at the hardware store.

Banned

Mine is pictured in the middle. Bought it at 11 years old on layaway brand new from money earned from mowing lawns. I think it was $119 bucks . It doesn't show in the pic, but there's not a scratch or blemish on the blue. It's a 99% condition rifle.

Marlin 39a Century LTD 1870-1970 commemorative. Take down, octagon-

Boolit Bub
    my first gun was a M2 carbine by Win. and I thought all gun had a switch on them boy fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    My first gun was a Winchester M-12 in 16 gauge with a 2 9/16" chamber. My grandfather gave it to me when I was 12, along with enough shells to get me through the next 5 years. He had one just like it, but with a 2 3/4" chamber and a poly choke, (and bluing, which was definately lacking on mine). When he died I inherited his, along with a model 67 single shot .22 and a sportsterised MK III SMLE. I sold that original 16 gauge to raise cash when my daughter was born, but kept the one with the 2 3/4" chamber and hunt with it to this day. I also still have the .22 and in fact put 100 rounds through it @ 100 yards on Sunday. Even with iron sights, my old eyes, and trifocals that little .22 will still group around 3" @ 100. My pickup wouldn't hold the game I've killed with that .22 over the years. I hunted deer with the SMLE until I was in my 30's and could afford a Swede, then it went as a trade in for an overhand stitching machine for the tannery. I wish I still had every gun I've sold, except a few Redhawks I went through looking for an accurate one. but when times get tough, you do what you need to do.
    BD

Boolit Mold
    High Standard revolver 9 shot 4" barrel -- I paid for it when I was in high school but my older brother did the yellow form; sold it back then but regret it now. First weekend I put 1100 rounds through it.

Glenfield 22 bolt action, clip fed rifle -- My first yellow form and still in the safe. The last time the local Boy Scouts were allowed to put on an "iron sight only" "turkey shoot" it won. And my grandson also won the youth division with my Marlin 39 lever .22., but the best part was he had to beat out my other grandson to do it.

One of my fondest memories are learning to wing shoot Texas doves with my grandfather's single-shot .410 and my father's encouragement. My dad's idea of target shooting (when I was about 8) was not to "hit" but "light" a kitchen match that was wedged into the bark of a tree that was about 15 feet away (with his scoped .22 Mossberg).
    Seeing that match light makes a kid think he's a real shooter -- and thanks to him, I can still shoot today.

Boolit Bub
    peoples republik of kalifornia, southern division

whooa the wayback...

My Papaw (Grandpaw for those who don't know) give me a Winchester model 68 when I was 5. He took it back several times I think cause it was so much money. His paternal side must have took over, cause I still have her. He'd give me 3 "shells" and send me out to get something. If I come home with a rabbit or squirrel and a shell, I'd be in heaven. If I come back with no shells and no catch, I was foolin around. I'd have to put that rifle stock under my armpit and lean waay over to site through that peep site but I sure was proud of that rifle. I know it sounds like a story, but things were different then. She's still in my safe, and she'd do for my family now what she did for my family then. A good tool in ever sense of the word. Thanks for lettin me remember that one. Reddog

Boolit Master
    I got a Mossberg Mod. 1000 12ga. for Christmas when I was 15.
    Dad always told me I didn't need my own guns, I could just use his, but I think he figured I was undergunned with his double .410 and he didn't want me bumping around with his gold triggered belgian light twenty auto.
    The Mossberg is still in the safe, where it will stay (unless I'm using it) until I depart this world.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast