Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What was your first gun?

It was either a Ruger 10/22 or a 12 Ga Mossberg 500 (sold as Western Field by Montgomery Wards). Both were given to me by my grandpa around the same time, don't recall which one actually came first.

First gun bought and paid for with my own money was a Grendel P-30 22mag pistol.

My first was an M91 Carcano cavalry carbine at age 8. It came from the odds and ends in my grandfathers collection as something to hang on my wall. My first usable rifle was a Mod 15 Springfield .22 single shot bolt action. That was given to me a few years later from an older friend about my grandfathers age. He bought it in 1934 for $4.25, and was his first rifle. Both are still in use today and will be passed on to my kids or theirs when I'm to old to do any chooting.
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Master

My first gun was a Walther P-38 Think I paid $35 for it, in 1955 or '56. Went the way of other guns I wish I still had, including a Winchester 75.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Western Field 20ga single shot with the muddiest birch stock ever--and get this, it was _hammerless-! Thumbpiece you pulled back to open the gun where a hammer should be, thumb safety behind that. In the closet now, for immediate use on roving varmints. Christmas present 1964, I think. Had an ejector, too, not an extractor, aluminum (or something...) receiver. Still plenty tight, and the shells through it would easily fill this room.....

Boolit Mold
    First gun that dad allowed me to use was his Nylon 66.(Sure wish I still had that one)

First gun that was all mine was a H&R 20 gauge that still sits in the safe and will never leave.
    I put quite a hurtin' on the squirrel population with that gun.

Moderator Emeritus

First gun was a Marlin model 60. First gun I bought was a Savage Enfield No4 Mk 1 in western Pennsylvania when I was either 16 or 17.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Moderator Emeritus

Nice pictures imashooter, and nice Sportsman double action too!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

My first real gun was a Remington 514 single shot .22 LR. I had decided to become a bobcat trapper, but caught a skunk instead. After making a spear, and killing the skunk I lived in the woodshed for a week while I thought about plans not thought all the way through. When I was finally allowed back in the house, my dad gave me the rifle saying that history had proven that I needed a means of defending myself. One of my sons has that gun now.

Boolit Master

My first gun was given to me by my Grandpa when I turned 11. We would shoot it every time we would visit his place, and I eventually mentioned that I loved that gun (I could really shoot it, too) and wanted one just like it someday.

So, just before squirrel season opened (about a month before my actual 11th B-day) he gave it to me- a Winchester Model 42, first year of manufacture! A month or so later, while he and Grandma were at the grocery store, their house was broken into, and the crooks got everything else. He called Mom and Dad right then to make sure I still had that shotgun- of course I did, and STILL do!

I take it out every year and hunt with it (usually first day of squirrel or rabbit season), enjoy the memories it brings back, then clean it at the end of the day, and put it back until next year. It's priceless to me- no one, or no government, will EVER get that shotgun from me.
    USMC 1980-1985

Used Dad's Win 62A for a while but my first purchase was a Win M1200. Great gun, I shot many thousands of rounds thru it (trap shooting) till it moved on to a close friend as his son's first gun.
    There is NO subsitute for heavy, large diameter bullets or cubic inches!

Boolit Master

First real gun that I owned was a single shot Springfield .410 given to me for my 11th birthday by my Father. The first gun that I shot was my Father's 1890 win. pump in .22 short, killed a squirrel. But I guess the first gun I got was a Daisey BB rifle. Lots of sparrows fell to it.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    My dad was anti-gun as his brother had a firearm accident when he was young, so I had to wait until I was 18 to purchase my first rifle. Mind you I had been shooting rifle competitions while I was in High School. I ordered a Remington 40XB 308 with the understanding when I could pick it up. 25 years later I still have that rifle, plus a couple hundred more. I guess I still trying to catch up with my lost years of my youth.

Mine was an ERMA E.M.1. It's a German 22LR carbine that looks like a 30 M1. I was 17 years old and used it at our local range. I sold it to get my first handgun, a RUGER GP 100. This carbine has been so used that the slide needed to be very dirty for not to "clink" in the action
    Thanks Dad I had a lot of fun

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My first was a Remington 510 , I later sold it to my little brother got regrets and went looking for another , He was rather sweet on that gun . So , I kept looking and found a nearly new Remington 521 , not quite the same but I always did want a repeater !

Jack

Boolit Master
    I've bought, sold, traded a ton of guns in 50 years of shooting (I'm 56 now). Luckily I managed to hold on to all of my "firsts."

1st air gun- Daisy single shot from the 30's. Was my Dad's, then mine. Break action, to cock. Then drop BB down the barrel- a muzzle loader. Still sits in the cabinet. Fondest memory attached to it was the time I nailed my sister in the butt with it. Caught a good spanking and lost use of the gun for a looooong time.

1st .22's- One that was my Dad's, that I learned to shoot with, is a Marlin 81DL. First .22 of my own was a Mossberg semi-auto that was my X-Mas gift 1965. Both in the cabinet right now also.

1st target rifle- Win 52. Paid $35 for it in 1966. Took it to school with me on the school bus for rifle team practice. Hanging offense today. That gun taught me to appreciate accuracy, great triggers and quality machine/handwork in a gun.

1st shotgun- N.R Davis 12 gauge single shot. Another hand-me-down from Pop. Ist new one was an Ithaca M37. HS graduation present 1970. Both still in residence here.

1st CF rifle- Spanish military Mauser 7x57. Horrible piece of goods. Glad it got stolen! 1stCF factory rifle was a Rem 700 .243 BDL bought with my first income tax refund. Right around $140 as I recall. Set me on the road to "volume" varminting. Commited my only act of poaching with it, 38 yrs. ago (go ahead and call the cops!). Shot a hen pheasant's head/neck off at about 100 yds. one summer evening. As I was walking down to pick it up, a skunk ran out of the bushes and grabbed it! I let him keep it. Never poached again, there was a lesson there.

Thanks for the chance to reminisce. Like I said, many guns have come and gone, but the important ones have stayed put.

Boolit Buddy
    a winch 190 in 22 and the first handgun a colt trooper mark 3

My first firarms were hand me downs from Dad a Winchester Model 12 ,20 ga. and a Rem 600 in 35 Rem.(Dad had great tastes in guns!) My first handgun was a little little Star PD 45 auto.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    My first gun was a Springfield Model #15 bolt-action single shot 22. It was amazing how many shells I could go through with a single shot. I usually went home without any shells.

My great uncle gave it to me when I was ten or eleven. I still have that gun.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

When I was ten years old my father was visiting a friend at a second hand store and they were looking through an old trunk that the owner had bought at an estate sale. In the bottom was a #4 Remington rolled up in a blanket in like new condition. Dad gave the store owner $8 for it and gave it to my older brother who was 12. He soon learned it was not big enough for deer and found one of his paper route customer had a 92 Winchester in 25-20. He bought it for $35 and the little #4 was handed down to me. I was 11 at the time. My brother and I sort of fought over it for the next 45 years until I found another #4 and fixed it up for him. A couple years back I gave the rifle to my oldest daughter, She has 3 boys.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast