Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What was your first gun?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    My first gun was a Webley Mark IV that was virtually identical to the one pictured below:

I bought it in a private transaction when I was 18 years old, ......And I owned it right up to the day when my ex-wife's attorney got everything that I owned. (By that time, I was collecting Webleys.)

That ugly old gun saved my butt a couple of times; ....and it was a real wrench to see it go.

I am still looking to replace my beloved, lost Webleys: ........If anyone has a good "shooter" they want to part with, ......I have a clean, Belgian (assembled in Portugal) Browning Hi-Power I am willing to trade! (I still have the box!)

Kent
    I would've 'gave it' to that sonofabitch alright and then let my attorney have it for his fees.....hehe!
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Mold
    My first gun was a Winchester Model 37-A . Single shot .410.
    I was 8 years old and thought it was the greatest thing in the world.
    Thanks , Dad!!!!!!

my first gun was a Mossberg 500 12ga.

My first gun was colt official police 38 sp. I still have it.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    First "real" gun? Well, since my father was a police officer (early 1950's) I used to play cowboys and Indians with real revolvers....confiscated and firing pins ground off. I'm not joking. Now that I'm older and wiser, I shudder at the numbers of Smith and Wesson pocket guns we dropped, left in the rain, etc...but every kid in the neighborhood wanted to be on "my side"!

Had two of my own at the age of 11, a Remington 514 .22 and a Colt Officer's model match, which I shot on the police range with Dad on the weekends. The Colt was set up with an angled mirror reflector on the front sight and the old King cockeyed hammer. I got pretty proficient with that thing, and it set me up for a long life of collecting and reloading.

Boolit Mold

Savage 28ga.

My first bought with my own money. New Years eve 1965, $10.00. Carried it home without a case in a blinding snow storm. Still have it. DAN

Quote Originally Posted by oltimer2 View Post
    My first bought with my own money. New Years eve 1965, $10.00. Carried it home without a case in a blinding snow storm. Still have it. DAN
    You left out the "UP HILL" part...

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, lot's of memories brought back, by reading this thread...

My first was a 24/.410 Savage, Given to me by my Father, when I was 9.

First I bought Myself, 1914 mfg. 1911 Colt .45. I owned it for years before I learned it wasn't a 1911a1.

First new out of the case, Browning Hi Power.

I really am envious, of ya'll, that have someone to leave your guns to, I have no kids, and all my neices/nephews/stepsons, are always in and out of jail.

I lay awake at night and wonder what will happen to my, rather large, gun collection. I even have a class 111 I'll have to do something with....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goste View Post
    Wow, lot's of memories brought back, by reading this thread...

My first was a 24/.410 Savage, Given to me by my Father, when I was 9.

First I bought Myself, 1914 mfg. 1911 Colt .45. I owned it for years before I learned it wasn't a 1911a1.

First new out of the case, Browning Hi Power.

I really am envious, of ya'll, that have someone to leave your guns to, I have no kids, and all my neices/nephews/stepsons, are always in and out of jail.

I lay awake at night and wonder what will happen to my, rather large, gun collection. I even have a class 111 I'll have to do something with....
    Give 'em time to straighten out. Kids usually do..........
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Buddy
    My first was a 6.5 jap contract rifle on the carcano action. Don't recall the model number. It had been sporterized and cost a whole $10.00. I don't know what happened to it. One of my nephews has it. I only shot norma ammo and reloades in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Jim4065,

I wish they would, but I think it's to late.. The oldest stepson is 31, and the youngest nephew, is 26...

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was an 1891 argenting mauser with a pristine bore. Local gun shop has wooden ammo crates full of different 7.65x54 ammo. Shot that rifle for years. Eventually shot out the bbl. 100rds for $10 was good for a weekend at the local range.Frank

Quote Originally Posted by goste View Post
    Jim4065,

I wish they would, but I think it's to late.. The oldest stepson is 31, and the youngest nephew, is 26...
    Sounds to me like it's time to get involved with Boy Scouts or Big Brothers. Most of the fraternal organizations have junior lodges. In any case, there are a lot of kids out there that could use a positive role model...

Boolit Mold
    My first was a Stevens Model 15 .22 single shot rifle. It drilled hundreds of squirrels down on the farm.

My first gun was an ancient Mossberg bolt action 20ga. Used it till it literally wore out. The first one I ever bought with my own money was a Remington 514 single shot .22. I still have that rifle after nearly 50 years. My first one hand gun was a Colt .22 single action; not the nice case-hardened frame gun but the one all blue but not all steel. A good one just the same.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    My first gun was a semi sporterized (fore end cut off) Enfield No 4 Mk I in 303 British that a friends mother bought for me when I was 17. I put a lot of rounds through that rifle and eventually wore out the barrel and traded it off.

Boolit Man
    My first was an old Stevens crackshot 26. 22lr rolling block single. The barrel was so pitted it shot a 10" group at 25 yards. I couldn't hit a squirrel with it to save my life. My dad gave me hell for missing all the time. Then I swapped him for his Mossberg and we went huntin. I had a new Marlin model 60 after that.

AJ
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Master

My first gun

First one I paid for was a replica 1860 Colt.

I carried it for self defense for a while, not unlike WIld Bill carried an (1851 ? ).
    Had the same challenge, keepng the powder and caps fresh.

I wanted an 1860, after seeing Miss Kiiity on " Gunsmoke " threatening to shoot Forrest Tucker with one. He called it a " Horse Pistol ", a term I myself more often associated w/ the Walker ( not that my view is right ).

.357Mag

Boolit Master
    Mod. 10 S&W with the 4" tapered barrel. I still have it, and it's not going anywhere. Wore out the first mainspring. It's probably time to dig it out and start wearing out the 2nd one..

Boolit Master
    My was a Rem 514 22 RF Dad got with Green stamps at my age of 12 . I am 52 now. Still shoot it