Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Updates 300 Whisper.

Boolit Bub

Updates 300 Whisper.

Hello,

This is my first post on this site; however, I have read a lot of good information!

Any updates on loads for cast bullets in the 300-.221? Looking for a subsonic load with a 190-200 gr boolit, but my real goal is accuracy. Some loads already posted but it seemed like experimentation was still underway.

What about Trail Boss?

Boolit Master
    I had best luck with loads that used powders in the range of red dot to H110. each gun is a law unto it self, especially with a cartridge like the whisper. Ya gotta pick a place to start and work from there.

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot alot of WC680 in the 300 Whisper with the 314299 at 200+ grains. AA680 is close to the same powder. Around 1,100 fps. Swede Nelson? is using my load also.

Very accurate. Boolits are air cooled wheel weight with gas check.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info. I was looking for a starting point. I will be using the Lyman 311284 or the 311644 to start with. I want to have a subsonic load shoot a cast into 1.5" at 100 yards. Then I want another load to shoot around 1500-1600 in a 30 Herrett. I hope I can get it figured out.

Both bullets will be cast in WW or Linotype as I have both and both will wear a GC. Probably try each.

I did some experimenting several years ago, without much success and gave up. But after reading and wandering around this site decided to try again.

Thanks a lot for the help! It is clear some of the members have WAY more experience than I.

For sub sonic with the 311284 you wil need at least a 1-9 twist, 1-8 would be better.
    IF these Bbl's are T/C's check your throats, I've had two 30 Herrett T/C bbl's and both had .312 Dia. throats
    There isn't enough case capasity in the Whisper for Trail Boss, maybe with a 125 gn bullet, In the Herrett you might get 1000 with TB and the 200's but there are better powders for the Herrett and the heavy cast.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Bub
    Well that is what I am looking for, advice from people who have done this before. Like I said, I gave up last time. Cast boolits behave different than copper covered ones.

My Whisper is a MGM with a 1:8 twist. The Herrett is from the TC Custom shop and it would have been "standard"? I had it made about 8 years ago.

I also did not know until reading on this site the 30 Herrett usually has a long throat.

I have some Carosafe, probably would not hurt to make a chamber cast.

Boolit Grand Master

I use air cooled wheelweight bullets in my Whisper. No need for linotype at subsonic velocities.

Boolit Master

I did a function and penetration test with the Lee 200 gr gas checked bullet yesterday. Alloy was water dropped wheel weights, with 10.5 gr 1680 in my M1s 1 in 9 upper.

Rounds were supersonic and point of impact was the same as my 220 HRN sub load at 100 yards. No problems cycling whatsoever across the 10 rounds fired.

Informal "penetration" test done with 3/8 OSB in front of a 2 gallon water jug and 2 2x6s leaned against the water jug at 50 yards. 220 SMKs and 220 HRNs both drilled caliber size holes through both 2x6s and didn't even knock them over.

The Lee bullet struck the first 2x with a slight wobble and exited COMPLETELY SIDEWAYS and embedded itself rear-end first in the second 2x. That's a 90 degree revolution in about the length of the bullet!!! Seems to me that this one would be set to "puree" in a test media of the swine variety.

Also, I'm now a firm believer in the water drop method of heat treating wheel weights. The bullet was essentially undamaged, with only rifling marks and possibly a (very) slight bend in the shank. The gas check was still attached, and all of the lube was used up.

Will try a softer alloy (ACWW, WW/PB mix, etc.) next to see if I can get some deformation in addition to the tumbling and reduce the charge a bit to get it subsonic. Will take the chrono with me now that I know they'll function.

It doesn't get any cheaper to load the whisper than this.

Anyone else have any results to share?
    Last edited by crawfobj; 12-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.