Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: help 270 win

help 270 win

I would like to get infor on reloading and casting for this rifle round. I went to Lee's web site and was unable to find a mold number. Is it a different caliber or can someone give me a mold number. Also what size gas check do I need. The rifle I am going to use is a Remington 710 caliber is 270 Winchester. Someone gave me this rifle with only 50 rounds on it. It was a Dicks sporting good combo deal. Is this rifle any good. I will not be hunting with it. I am only going to use for target practice.

Boolit Man
    Its a fine gun. I would have no problem hunting with it and you shouldnt either. Not sure why you are shying away from using it to hunt but many many many whitetail and yotes have fallen to the mighty 270 WIN.

Regarding your mold quest. True.... LEE does not make a mold for that specific caliber but RCBS does. I havent used their molds so I cant vouch for their quality.

You sure picked a tough one to play with. The rifle itself should be fine with a good cleaning. Things get much more challenging when it comes to molds.
    Lee dropped their .270 offerings over a decade ago. Lyman seems to have dropped their last offering as well, but much more recently. These may come up once in a while on the auction sites. Lee had C-277-110-R & 125-R, IIRC. You might find one of the Lyman's in stock somewhere, they usually have a number like a 280XXX which will NOT be the Lyman part number.
    RCBS makes a 27-150-SP that works pretty well and they list a 27-130-FP that's on the special list at a ridiculous price. You could get a custom one made for what they want for the special list molds.
    Use about the same loads as recommended for the 30-06, 13 gr Red Dot or 16 gr 2400. Good luck.
    Last edited by HORNET; 12-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    What size gas check do you need?

Hmmm, lemme think. Er, ah, maybe a .270 gascheck?

Hadda really think about that one.

Boolit Man
    About 25 yrs. ago I got some boolits for my .270, from a guy I was working with back then. He was using a 7MM. boolit mold, and sizing them down to .280. them boolits shot 1/2" groups at 50 yrds. using 700X. If you can not find a .270 mold try a 7MM. mold.

Boolit Master
    As I recall, Lee does make a 7mm mold so that would be a possibility ...... the Lee 7mm and size it down .......

I have a tang safety M77 in .270 and it never has shot j-words worth beans ...... it kill 'otes and has drilled two elk ...... one at 300 yds and another on the run at 150 ..... so for all the poor targets it has caused ......

....... it still brings home the bacon ......

I have never tried cast for it ...... maybe it's a latent cast boolit gun ????

Three 44s

Boolit Bub
    I guess he had the same problem and decided not to cast for this caliber. I will research the 7mm idea if not I guess I will sell her or just keep the rifle for FMJ bullets.

Boolit Master

I have a Saeco 270 mold that shoots great in my Rem 700.
    Also have two Lymans, a 280642 and scaled down version of 311413 that I can't remember the # of.
    All require a 270 GC.

I can send samples of the Saeco and scaled down 311413 checked and sized at .278, lubed with felix if you want some.

My Rem 700:

The load is on the target, the 9 ring is 1" in dia.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Bub
    Jack thank you for your offer but at this time I did not have the set up for this caliber.

Boolit Master

I was also offering them to asw1911pc
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

That scaled down 311413 should be the 280473. Nominal weight is 125 grains, mine runs about 127 from WW+2% tin. It works well ahead of 15 grains of SR4759, a tuft of dacron, and a WLP primer, seated out to touch the lands. Not fast but it works for plinking.
    Rick

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    I was also offering them to asw1911pc

Sorry jack I was using my brothers computer and I forgot to change to my CB handle.

If anyone is selling a 3die set for 270 please let me know thanks.

I always wondered about the bias against the .270.

just cause it is the 30-06's little redhead sister, don't mean it doesn't need some luv'n too!

Boolit Mold
    I've also had good experience with the Saeco 270 GC in my Thompson Encore 270 barrel and in an older 270 Sako bolt action. A light practice load for sitting down and breaking skeet at the 200 yd berm is 12.6g Trail Boss, probably subsonic judging by the noise and travel time. Calamity Jake's IMR 4895 gives some zip and good accuracy in the TC. As a side note to this thread, the Saeco bullet also works well in a Contender 6.8SPC barrel with 9.0g Trail Boss and 21.0g Benchmark if you want some velocity. Lubed and gas checked the projectiles weigh ~140g.