Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Recommended loads for a 9x18 makarov

Recommended loads for a 9x18 makarov

Any loads recommended for makarovs. I have a high cap IJ-70 and a father in law with a cz82. Would like to get a load thats pretty good for both thats low recoil but cycles reliably.

My favorite powder for 9x18 in my Makarovs is Winchester Super Field. Great accuracy with 95XTPs at 1100fps and with cast 95s too. Unique or Hodgdon Universal Clays are both a close second choice. Will check my notes for exact charge weight.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Bub
    95 grain cast with 4.2 grains of unique

Bullseye and the 100 gr seria FP 3.5-3.8 grs., Bullseye with 100gr cast RN 3.0 makes a nice mild and accurate plinking load that dont throw the brass all over the place.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    I use 3.5 gns of Bullseye under the Lee 95gn Mak bullet lubes with LLA. This shoots well in my CZ82. Actually also use this powder charge for 9x19, 38 Special and 45 ACP as well. With the appropriate bullets of course. One of my powder measures is permanently set at this charge.

Boolit Grand Master
    The "standard" answer to the question concerning 9 x 18 loading data has traditionally been "380 ACP data + 10%". Using that as a start point, I've found that 380 ACP 'book max' loadings give pretty decent functional reliability without the harsh blowback-inspired recoil that full-tilt loadings provide, or the vigorous extraction/ejection. A 95 grain bullet/boolit at 1100 FPS or so is likely at the upper limit of blowback systemic capability. I know the recoil spring on my East German Makarov is STALWART.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have always used 3.0 grains of Red Dot under either an XTP or 95 gr cast.

Allow me to refer you to the article I wrote for the American Rifleman some years ago. Actually, it was the first comprehensive printing of load data for the Mak. My data has been reviewed by several ballistic labs and found to be spot-on; it has been used by a couple manuals, in fact.

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm

I recently traded my 9x18's (hated chasing the brass), but I was shooting 3.5 grains of Win. 231 under the Lee 95 gr. RN in reformed 9mm brass. Shot good in a CZ-82 and a FEG PA-63.

Boolit Master

(I know this is an old thread) I use 3.5 grains of International with 93 grain cast boolits. The recoil duplicates Silver Bear ammo, and it burns clean other than a little soot on the brass.

I've loaded a handful with 4.5 grains of Rex III to test but I haven't shot them yet -- I don't want to lose the brass in the snow.

ADMIN

I tested two loads
    3.6 grains Unique and 3.9 Grains Unique
    The 3.6 is a closer match to the factory recoil and it also provides closer groups then the 3.9.

My test gun is a East German Makarov.