RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How much in a 5 gallon bucket?

WOW you huys are pretty lucky.... I am having the HARDEST time finding anyone to sell lead let alone give it away. I usually buy the lead on ebay and other vendors and spend close to $1 a pound for the stuff. Even more if its ingots and not raw WW........

I also know of a range that has pure lead (Civil war era shooting team) but digging them up and the drive is just..... not fun.

I live in Frederick MD and if anyone knows a cheaper place to get some let me know!!

Banned

weight

Quote Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
    How much weight in a 5 gallon bucket? Im having a hard time finding some one that wants to give me wheel weights. So i guess im forced to buy them. I have a guy offering me 30 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket full. He says they take them to the scrap yard, so i assume that is what they are giving him for it. Thanks
    Mine run around 150 to 175 depending on the size of the bucket. I know once I set them in the shed they don't get moved around much.

Yesterday I got a plastic sheet rock compound bucket full and it weighed out @ 108 lbs. No charge was the price so I left a case of Bud Light in their shop fridge. They even carried it out and set it in the back of my pickup. Gonna smelt next week when it's supposed to be in the
    90's again.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

i got 138# in mine

Today's score was one of the best I've had. I get my WW's for nothing anyway, so long as I drop in and get them regularly. Today I made my usual pick-up and the bucket was just a little more full than usual--bonus--but a LOT heavier than usual. There was a genuine strain getting the damn thing up onto the tailgate. Well, after I got home and unloaded it, I didn't think much of it except that it was nice coming away with a little more than usual. Then I got to wondering what could have made the bucket so much heavier since there really isn't much they could have thrown in that would be heavier than lead... When I pick up a bucket, I kinda figure on about 60% usable material prior to melting. The rest is the zinc, steel, lug nuts, trash, valve stems, what have ya. Well, I got overly curious and up-ended the bucket of today's haul. On a rough sort through the pile, I'd say less than 10% of the bucket wasn't lead, and about a third of it was dead-soft stick-ons! Almost no zinc or steel in the entire mix! No wonder it was so darn heavy---it was all the good stuff!!! Easily 160+lbs on this one--it actually hurt to pick it up.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

Always keep a good relationship with your tire store, I buy my buckets from several local places.

...........happened to be going to get tires on wife's truck today (20" ers...........OWWW!) and in the process showed my bud behind the counter what I do with his wheel wieghts I buy, had some bullets with me. He said "Wow look at that you put those in the polisher and everything?????" He almost died when I told him that's how they come out once they're sized and lubed. They've been selling to a scrapyard but I just happened to ask if they had any buckets of wheel wieghts he wanted to sell.

.......got out of there with two five gallon buckets FULL.............he told me $20.............I told him "not enough for that much lead" and gave him $40 for both buckets. He thought he'd died and went to heaven. I'm happy, win-win.

They used to be free but more and more people are finding out you can get money for them, all you have to do is check fleabay and see all the wheel wieghts being sold there.................if I'm gonna cast I'd prefer leadandbrass.com's foundry cast stuff, but it ain't as cheap as wheel wieghts for handgun shooting!

He then asked for my card and told me he'd call me when they got more buckets..................<GRIN>
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Bub

At least it's available

Stopped at a tire store (I actually buy my tires there, always have) and got two more four gallon buckets full. At $20 / bucket I'm glad to be able to. Five gallon buckets are too darn heavy! This makes six buckets full for me in the last two weeks from that store. After sorting and melting I get about 2/3 return with mostly Zn weights as the remainder. Stupid California laws. I'm old and can remember when rifles were legal here! Any way I plan to keep going back as fast as I can melt it to ingots, no room for 20 buckets of ugly wheel weights, but I'll make room for a neat pile of ingots! Remember - you only get 35 200 grain H&G 68's from a pound!

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Just picked up a 5 gal. bucket friday. weighed 153 lbs unsorted. Got a handful of steel weights and 12 lbs of stickons. Not one Zinc weight this time. I noticed there were a lot of the larger weights in this bucket.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

I got a full 5 gal bucket today for free. I've sorted half of it and only come up with a handful of ZN and maybe two handfuls of FE. I dang near turned my rectum inside out lifting that bucket outta the truck! I'd guess at least 140ish lbs...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Banned
    I got someone to scale a bucket full for me, it came up at 163 lbs.

Boolit Master
    pretty heavy. enough to badly strain an already bad shoulder

If any of you wheel weight collectors would like to help out a fellow caster in california, I'll pay $.75 a lb for wheel weights and I will pay the shipping if you use the large box from the post office. 50 lbs ships at $14.50 anywhere in the U.S. (Ebay is not fun trying to get lead) Every tire shop I have gone to in my area refuses to let the guy off the street have them and will not sell them to us. I have only been casting for a few months and havent had a hobby that is as much fun as casting and making my own boolits and then shooting them and have them actually work with pretty good accuracy but I am afraid with the way things are going, it wont be long before will will become outlaws if we use lead. Anywho, if any of you would see fit. PM me and lets work something out. Thanks.

Eliot

In Canada I paid $0.20/pound

Jean Mario

Boolit Master
    I bought a three gallon bucket full for $28.00. The bucket weighed 96 pounds. I sorted them last night and found almost 20 pounds that weren't lead, mostly steel and three or four zinc ones. Almost ten pounds of lead stick on weights.

That means I have 76 pounds of wheelweights for $28.00, or 37¢ a pound.

Once I melt them down, I will see what I get for lead, but to tell you the truth, a dollar a pound for clean lead doesn't seem like such a bad deal, because I am always short on time. I would rather be heating the pot to cast rather than to flux.

Boolit Mold
    If you can not talk the local tire shops into donating lead for "fishing weights" (politically safe) then Ebay will probably be your best bet for lead which is already smelted and fluxed into ingots for $1/ pound. I think local scrap yard price is about $0.70 / pound. The time expense in smelting into ingots is well worth the extra 30 or 40 cents after shipping charges. IMHO

Boolit Mold
    .60@pound x 136 local metal recycler different sizes shapes of cleaned ingot.

Out of a dozen tire players and half as many junkyards got hits on exactly two. Corporate tire chains are responding to Californistan's ban by just banning the stuff everywhere.

A wheel weight that went for a nickle in lead costs about ten times that in steel at wholesale prices. Consumers are not really noticing because it's a small portion of the price of a set of tires, balancing, etc etc. You can probably forget about getting any w/w from any national chain going forward.

Here's something for you to think about.

If just one state passing a law like this is enough to make it difficult nationally to buy lead, how tough would it be for a forward thinking anti-gun congress to simply make the component parts impossible to get by declaring something 'hazardous' like California did?

It seems to me that somebody in corporate amerikka must have woke up and eaten an entire bowlful of stupid for breakfast before they came up with this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamouselguapo View Post
    .60@pound x 136 local metal recycler different sizes shapes of cleaned ingot.

Out of a dozen tire players and half as many junkyards got hits on exactly two. Corporate tire chains are responding to Californistan's ban by just banning the stuff everywhere.

A wheel weight that went for a nickle in lead costs about ten times that in steel at wholesale prices. Consumers are not really noticing because it's a small portion of the price of a set of tires, balancing, etc etc. You can probably forget about getting any w/w from any national chain going forward.

Here's something for you to think about.

If just one state passing a law like this is enough to make it difficult nationally to buy lead, how tough would it be for a forward thinking anti-gun congress to simply make the component parts impossible to get by declaring something 'hazardous' like California did?
    It seems to me that somebody in corporate amerikka must have woke up and eaten an entire bowlful of stupid for breakfast before they came up with this policy.
    I think that is the hidden agenda.

On topic, I got almost 150 lbs of ingots out of a over-flowing 5 gal bucket of stick-ons. I hate smelting them because of the adhesive burning off, but man they make some pretty ingots!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    150 lbs of clip-ons in a 5 gal bucket
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

265 lbs out of 2 full buckets today. Found a lot of steel and zinc, unfortunately. But, all in all, a good day. I paid $35 for the 2 buckets, by the way...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Picked up 3 2 1/2 gallon buckets and 1 5gallon bucket the other day. Large truck weights. after sorting had 1 2 1/2 gallon bucket full of large wheel studs, nuts,and 5 inch long valve stems. There must have been 50 to 75 valve stems. Ended up with 300 lbs. clip on and 35 lbs. of stick on. Not to bad for $50.00.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast