Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What ingredients to add to thicken up a lube recipe, or increase its melting temp...

Banned

the sage.com, has all kinds of goodies like beeswax,carnuba flakes,you know that kind of stuff.
    sometimes the buck whatever lars's stuff costs just seems worth saving the hassle don't it.
    oh yeah, his red is a nice stiffener and carnuba adder too.

Okay but why would you purchase a lube only to cut it up to make your own lube lol. When someone such as Lars has good lube to start with. It just might be me but it seems odd to do this lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

cause: sometimes you come across stuff like b-wax and lithium grease and moly valve lube for free.
    his lube is good but it has a couple of things i don't like in some loads.
    other generic loads it's just fine as is i keep one star full of red all the time.
    the other two have brews and mixes and odds and ends sometimes just to work on stuff.
    i have one going now that is really dang close to lymans moly but costs me about a buck a lb to make,and the red is to keep it in line with the viscosity i want.
    trust me i don't pay glen for shipping when i need lube i stop by his house and pick it up.
    but 75 sticks only goes so far.

75 sticks lol. I would not have enough primers to fire enough rounds for 75 sticks lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Well, I shot off about 15 rounds of my 9mm, 147 grain flat point boolit lubed with the crappy lube, today. (I haven't tweaked it yet.)

It was smokey.

*cough*cough*

But then again it was with Tite Group powder, which is really fast and I guess is notorious to smoke with lead boolits.

I would like to try either Winchester Super Target or Solo1000. IIRC, they are just a single base powder, burn cooler and so don't smoke as much.

At least the gun ran today with those 15 rounds.

I would just like to try making my own lube to be self sufficient. No offense meant to Lars by coming on here to asking about tweaking my first homemade concoction.

I suspect that at some time, yeah, I will be placing an order with Lars.

Banned

russel thats pretty perceptive of you to pick up on the powder causing the smoke.
    i am currently using red and a moly mix i mentioned above in my revolvers with unique powder, it's ike using black powder. in my rifle[same loads] it is as clean as i can get with no smoking at all.
    just an expansion ratio thing.
    if glen was gonna get upset about us talking about making our own lubes, and mentioning his in the same thread. he woulda had an anurism long ago.

In other words have you seen the old movie Scanners lol. Sorry it is late lol.

Banned

Bumpity... shamelessly bump bump...

Edited to add: cool.... I was just wondering if or where my old thread here would show up. Thanks to the mods for creating a special boolit lube subforum.

Banned

So, how'd you thicken up your lube?

Gear

I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Although I should work on it, and possibly another lube while the girlfriend is away and out of the house for two weeks for her Army reserve training.

It gets kinda stinky making lubes.

The other lube I have in mind is some concoction of Lucas Red-N-Tacky grease and paraffin or possibly beeswax.

Banned

it isnt a cheap way and its kind of cheating with homemade lube but what i do is cut the felix lube i make with about 25 percent magma hard blue lube. I figure if im going to add something to lube to make it hard its got to be better to add something thats actually a lubricant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12