PBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BruceB's Speed Casting Method

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    well... I've used the liquid alox on FULL HOUSE .357 loads 158 gr SWC (tumble lube design from Lee) in my 6 in. Dan Wesson for a long time now. It's also been a darned long time since I cleaned that 'Old Boy's barrel, but my accuracy is right there... The gun's a better shot'n I am, that's fo sho!

I don't have a chronograph yet, so I can't honestly say what my FPS is, but the load is something like 5.8 or 5.9 gr of Unique... I don't honestly recall, it might even be a full 6.0 grs of Unique, it's been so long I don't remember Bob....

Good Luck, Brother
    Initial 100 cartridge batch demonstrated accuracy was not compromized however, I did experience excessive leading, far more than I have experienced using Felix lube or commercial lubes. I believe in a IDPA or IPSC match accuracy would fall off towards the end of the match. I have another 100 to go and have relubed them on the assumption I may have been to light lubing the first batch.

I tried Bruce's method of casting yesterday and it certainly speeds up the process and if you are volume casting with limited time on your hands this is the way to go.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

There is one other thing Bob, since you're getting more leading than you're accustomed to seeing...?

Perhaps your barrel might need 'seasoning' to the new regimen....? I understand that the barrel is seasoned to lubed/sized slugs, but, well... you get the idea...

Glad to hear you had some good luck with the experiment.

Just a thought....
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

Read it & use parts

HI,
    Read this Bruce B method on the Old Aimeo (SP) Site" & started to include parts.
    Good reread/reminder, I mostly used 4 cav. molds. Great to repost for all the newbies.

Boolit Master

Once again, BruceB shows us how to do it right! I tried it and it works great, except I am consistantly getting frosted bullets. Is this to be expected when speed-casting? I know the frosting is from the mould and/or alloy is getting too hot, so I tried touching the mould to the wet rag for a couple seconds, but it doesnt seem to cool it enough. Am I doing something wrong? Thanx-
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master

Once frosting starts, drop your pot temp a tiny bit at a time and continue with your rhythm.
    As the pot cools the frosting will disappear. That's the temp that I get the best and most equal weight boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Bruce, thanks for a GREAT post! I'm getting into casting and while it looks to be a FUN hobby, I'll be honest.... I want to put them down range and more is better!

I'm not retired and with three boys and my own business I have limited "ME" time!

THANKS AGAIN!

Tom

Reading/learning all I can and this will help. Bruce have you ever thought of a You Tube upload?

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Reading/learning all I can and this will help. Bruce have you ever thought of a You Tube upload?
    Mark,

Don't know if a video has ever been made, but I was able to watch him in person once during a NCBS weekend some years back. It is very impressive. This is a man that takes his boolit casting seriously. And seriously a great guy and fantastic host. He and his wife Karen have graciously hosted the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot for 10 years now. This is no small amount of work and is appreciated by all who attend. We are all blessed with people like Bruce on this board as a resource to learn from.

ammohead

On Heaven's Range

Goo d grief (blush)

severe trouble seeing keyboard and screen. scuse typos plz. Not good juju right now. medical condition sucks big time hope it gets better.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Goo d grief (blush)

severe trouble seeing keyboard and screen. scuse typos plz. Not good juju right now. medical condition sucks big time hope it gets better.
    BruceB,

Glad to see you are online. At least you can see this much. We are all pulling for you to get better. Going to be coming out your way soon for a scouting trip. I will call to see if it's ok to stop by.

ammohead

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

My prayers are with you Bruce,,and you too Bruce.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

I didn't realize that my casting efficiency techniques actually had a name. I will call it Doin' the Bruce B. from now on. Very similar to Goatlips speed casting. If I could add one thing, and I guess it goes with out saying. If your using iron molds, oil them thoroughly after your done. If found that after pressing my mold to a damp towel repeatedly they tend to surface rust very quickly. I cant say as to why, possibly water molecules trapped in the pores. Is that even possible? I know the mold is hot and all , but these as my findings .
    Justin

On Heaven's Range

Auburn, WASHINGTON???

justingrosche;

"*I* think your address answers the question of why your moulds rust....

A gent is standing in a long, slow-moving line at the Pearly Gates, waiting his turn to be judged by Saint Peter.

Off to one side is Satan...grabbing the rejected souls and slinging them into the big chute leading down to Hades. Once in a while, he tosses a soul off to the side.

The gent in line watches with growing curiosity, until finally he HAS to ak.

"Satan, I understand what you're doing, throwing those folks down into the pit, but why are you putting a few off to the side?"

"Oh," says Satan, "Those souls are from Washington and Oregon, and they're too danged WET to burn just yet."

That very well could be. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

The steam created when the hot mold touches the wet rag removes any rust inhibitor that may be in place. Steam will remove most anything from even the subsurface pores.
    Then you leave it hot and moist. That's a perfect breeding ground for rust.

Before I start casting I scrub the mold clean with hot water and dawn dish soap, dry it thoroughly , then immediately place it on the preheater. When I'm done with a mold, I let it cool to around 100 degrees then oil it and put it right into its box.

On Heaven's Range

Our environment here is classed as "high desert". As such, humidity is low....low enough that it gives me no problems.

When a casting session is finished, the moulds self-dry because of residual heat. They are never "moist"! I store them (without any oiling or other "treatment") in plastic Walmart boxes with lids...about 18"x8"x8". A dessicant pack (or two) is placed in each box. In this way, my moulds are always ready for use, and just have to be heated up to operating temperature.

I expect that in more-humid climates the same method (or lack of "method") would work if the moulds were stored in something like GI ammo cans with their superior sealing capability. With dessicant in a .50 or 20mm can along with the moulds, I wouldn't worry much about rust.

I do find that if I use water from our well for cooling the moulds, I get a build-up of mineralization on them. It's not a problem, but it is unsightly. This is avoidable by using bottled water from the grocery store, and the quantity used is so small that any cost is very minor indeed.

I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing at least for now. I'd thought about building a heated cabinet, but haven't got around to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07304.jpg  

Boolit Master
    back to the top to make finding easier

prs

Boolit Master

Took me a while to find the thread but worth the effort. Anyone know if a video was ever made?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast