Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastcoInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BruceB's Speed Casting Method

I would like to see a video of Bruce B cranking them out. Even a still photo of where he positions himself and his supplies.

I have been thinking a toaster oven from a thrift store would be a good way to preheat and dry the lead, anneal cases, etc. Thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

The toaster oven could be used to pre-heat lead, but wont work for annealing. Even pre-heating molds is outside it's usefullness, as it would scorch the handles.

Quote Originally Posted by GunFun View Post
    I would like to see a video of Bruce B cranking them out. Even a still photo of where he positions himself and his supplies.

I have been thinking a toaster oven from a thrift store would be a good way to preheat and dry the lead, anneal cases, etc. Thoughts?
    I'm going to have to give that a try. I'm using an El Cheapo Walmart cooking griddle right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The toaster oven could be used to pre-heat lead, but wont work for annealing. Even pre-heating molds is outside it's usefullness, as it would scorch the handles.
    Are you saying it wouldn't get hot enough to anneal cases? (-how hot should that be?)

I was primarily considering getting one as a way of heat treating from a more consistent temp than water dropping from the mold. Heating a whole batch in the oven and dropping them in water all at once would have less temp variation than any alteration in casting rhythm would make. How hot should I get bullets to heat treat by water drop?

I figured the pre-heat of the ingots would just be a bonus use of a toaster oven, but I have another thought about that.

For the molds, I was thinking of getting a single burner electric coil such as are used by sad guys in dorm rooms, and potentially doing an initial melt for the ingots in a separate pot on it too. I figured that if I could get a stainless jug or pot with a pour spout, I could pre-melt my ingots or smelt from scrap at the same time I am casting, and pour that to top off the bottom pour furnace rather than shuffle ingots on the top of the casting pot per canon Bruce B method. That would also isolate contaminants from my casting pot if I screwed up and melted a zinc in. A long spout or serving pitcher might help to reduce splash as I pour into the casting pot.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by GunFun; 01-14-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: clarity, organization.

Boolit Master

Since almost all my casting is with single cavity hollow point molds speed just isn't part of my game plan. Nicely filled out consistant boolits is what I'm after and I only run my pot up to 750* F. and still get some frosting even tinkering around with the hollow point pin between casts.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub
    Two things;

1, the toaster oven will not get hot enough to anneal brass. About 650-700 degrees is required.

2, You don't want the entire case heated up for annealing, just the neck. If the case head gets too hot, the case is ruined.

FWIW, I know that this thread is old, but then again, so am I!!!

Little Willie

Gun Fun wrote: Are you saying it wouldn't get hot enough to anneal cases? (-how hot should that be?)

I was primarily considering getting one as a way of heat treating from a more consistent temp than water dropping from the mold. Heating a whole batch in the oven and dropping them in water all at once would have less temp variation than any alteration in casting rhythm would make. How hot should I get bullets to heat treat by water drop?
    little willie, NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I usually cast with 2 molds so cooling doesn't slow me down.cast about 300 an hour with single and double cavity molds .my knackered wrists stop me casting for more than a couple of hours.but you go for it your way ,there is no one way to cast,its what works for you .

Boolit Master

I just lost a good friend. He was my neighbor for about 7 years and finally he moved back to Iowa. I visited him in 2013 and I quickly realized why he moved back to such a cold place. We have horrible summers here in Las Vegas but from October to May it is just wonderful. They in Iowa have horrible and cold winters, cool spring and fall and hot and moist summers.

What he had in Iowa was family and friends that he loved and wanted to spend time with. He worked hard his whole life and semi retired at an early age. Sadly he made some poor choices early on and recently this cost him his life. He was a great friend and I will miss him dearly.

Although I have never met Bruce B I have followed his teachings and I would have gone to his Spring Nevada casting association weekends but health issues precluded that. I deeply appreciate the time he spent to share his knowledge and experience with this forum and he also will be missed dearly by myself and I am sure many others.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

****. Another great wise and experimental mind gone. He will be missed by myself and I’m sure much of the casting community. Blessings to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123