Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 in .44M or .45C

Boolit Master

If accuracy requirements to 200 yards are of importance, I'd stay away from all of the pistol cartidge carbines. I have a .357 Marlin 1894c, and while Ithink it is a bit more accurate than the .44's I have had experience with, it still comes up between 1 and 2 inches with peep sights at 50 yards. I've owned a closet full of .45/70's and on the average they beat that, staying 1 to 1 1/2 at 50, and beating the pistol cartridge carbines substantially at 100 yds, And both the .444's I've owned would beat the 45/70's slightly on the average, and I never really knew why. Maybe the barrel's a bit thicker? doesn't seem like that would make a difference. These are just the results I have experienced .

My trapper model 94 in 44 mag most definitely prefers the lyman 429215 bullet, sized .429 and weighing about 215 grains. I've used that bullet in that little rifle since I got it in the 1980's. It doesn't do nearly as well with 240 grain bullets, but I never really tried working up a load for the latter. When I used to use this gun for deer hunting, I tried handloads using a few different 240 grain jacketed bullets. The Winchester HSP's shot very tight groups at 50 yd. Remington hollowpoints and Hornaday bullets didn't do badly either. I had big visions of using the Remington 240 JSP as kind of a modern levergun version of the old 44-40 rounds, but that particular bullet for some reason never grouped better than about 4 or 5 inches at 50 yd. I never figured out why, but the same bullet worked very well with a sabot in a muzzle loader. I don't see anything wrong with using the 215 gr cast bullet for game within 100 yards or so. It shoots straight, and is ballistically a lot hotter than the old 200 grain 44-40's that great grand-daddy shot all kinds of stuff with.

I had one of those pack rifles in the AE version, and I'm really sorry that I sold it... dumb, dumb! The Trails End that I have now is nice too, but I liked that little Pack rifle. In the Marlin groups I measured above, the Speer 210 GD, and Speer 270 SP shot the best of the jacketed bullets. It wouldn't feed the Lyman 429421 boolits too well, but the next best groups were with the Lyman 429244 gas checked boolit sized to .431. I just bought some commercially cast 429215's and really like them so I'll probably get a mold. That is plenty of weight for deer, etc. I'll be interested to see how they do over a warm charge of H-110. The 210 Speers really cook, and shoot well at just over 2000 fps. I think my load for them is 27.5 grs of H-110 but that is something you would certainly want to work up to although it is a Speer loading manual load.

I really like my 45 colt CB and it would be the last Marlin I'd sell.I had 2 custom MTN Molds made for it and they shoot ragged hole groups at 50 yards.I'll get a 45-70 also if I can find one with good wood.

Boolit Master
    I have both calibers. For shooting low pressure cowboy loads, I found the 44 had less blowby, thus less blackning of cases and crap flying in your face. For hotter loads, both work fine. The 45 seemed to chamber easier without work on the action. I have not tried Schofield cases. I had to run the 44 over to Marlin to fix the feeding problems it suffered. Still, it will not feed bullets like the 429421 or 310 SSK with their long noses. It does however, now feed bullets with shorter noses just fine, even those hammer head noses and even in 44 spcl cases. There is a larger selection of jacketed and cast bullets in the 44 caliber.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Irascible that is odd. I loaded some rounds that have an AOL of 1.55 and did not feed worth the darn as they were so short the case would hit the bottom of the barrel about a 1/4 of an inch back from the Boolit. But when I load my Lee 310Gr with an AOL of 1.620 they feed slicker than snot lol. This is in my1894 Marlin SS in .44 Mag.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Nobody posted bore/groove diameters for the Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. How about a list of suitable molds (especially PB designs) for this gun? Can SAECO 015 be used or would the grease grooves be wiped out when sizing to the appropriate diameter?

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 07-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Master

The RCBS plain base 270 grain comes to mind right away marlin junkie, If I recall correctly, that is a .454 mold too, and the marlin might like that slightly larger boolit, if not, it can be sized to .452, no problem you wouldn't lose enough of the grease groove to matter.

Boolit Master

MJ, Beagling a mold is SO easy (I found out) that I really think you should try it out on your mold that won't cast over .430. Piece of cake, takes maybe 10 minutes, and can be doubled if at first you don't succeed.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    MJ, Beagling a mold is SO easy (I found out) that I really think you should try it out on your mold that won't cast over .430. Piece of cake, takes maybe 10 minutes, and can be doubled if at first you don't succeed.
    I don't "Beagle" molds that cast round bullets but I do have a couple molds that drop rounder bullets when "Beagled". I used to call it shimming the mold but since I'm posting here I better fall in line and use the accepted lingo.

MJ

Boolit Buddy
    I went thru 5 different Marlin 94 Cowboy Classics in .45 Colt, refused shipment of the 6th one and demanded my money back. All of these guns had SUPER rough bores, and would not shoot lead worth a darn, I don't know what the deal was, I have had a few Marlins in the past and they were good guns . I also have an old Rossi 92 in .45 and 2 Winchester trappers in .45, and they shoot excellent, on a good day both Winchesters will shoot groups in the 1-1 1/2"" range @100yds with a scope mounted. The Rossi despite being beat up pretty good and having a less than perfect bore will still shoot excellent, producing goups in the 2-2 1/2" range @ 100yds, it may do better, but that's the best I can shoot with open sights.

Kooz,

Are you referring to this gun?:

MJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1894_45colt.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Kooz,

MJ
    Yes he is Cowboy = CB

But I still like my Marlins. .357 Mag .44 Mag 45-70 THUMP THUMP THUMPER lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Yes he is Cowboy = CB
    I'm aware of that but the 45CB has been around for quite awhile and used to come with a 24" barrel.

MJ

357 Mag 100 yards. Two Groups top two and bottom three pulled the one in the Bull lol. Each Square on the Target is 1"

45-70. 100 Yards. Bottom two were to set the sights and top three for Group the day before going Deer hunting.

It is the 45-70 and if I were you I would stick with the 45-70 and not the 450 Marlin as you have found Brass is easy to get.

The main reason the 450 was made was to keep people from putting HOT rounds that will work in the Marlin and other strong actions into the old type of 45-70's and blowing them up.

And yes they did make them in the 24" and now the 20" length.

The 45-70 Cowboy is 26"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Kooz,

MJ
    Yep, that's the one