Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45 ACP 200gr SWC load?

I've used a lot of unique, and have a cousin who is addicted to it from .38-30-06 (seriously) I never liked it much because I could never get past the poor metering characteristics

Boolit Master

Anyone use HS7 or Win 571 for this purpose?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, I’m tagging onto a really old thread, but someone please double check me on my bullseye information.
    Lyman cast book #4 shows 4.9 - 6.0 gr bullseye for the Lyman version of H&G #68 200gr SWC with 6.0 being potentially most accurate. COAL listed @ 1.235.

It seems significantly more than most of the discussion in this conversation.

My cast is HB alloy.
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 07-15-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Additional information

Holy Crow! An 8 year resurrect?!
    Also, my 3rd edition lists the same.

5.8 of WW231
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I've been using 6.5 grains of Unique under a 230 grain lrn. I got these about 30 years ago, but the guy no longer casts and does not have the molds anymore. Accuracy was fair from a 5" barrel 1911. Not great, but fair.

I just loaded a batch of Berry's plated 230 with the same charge of 6.5 grains on Unique. The accuracy was terrible to say the least, and I was severely embarrassed, as I was qualifying for a permit. I hadn't used this load before but had felt pretty confident as only having changed from lrn to berry's plated. I also had terrible powder fouling and a lot of unburnt powder so that I had a lot of powder flakes on the shooting bench in front of me.

I have purchased some factory ammo for the first time, as I didn't have time this week to load something else for tomorrow.
    I will use those, but need to find what is wrong with my combination. I have 700x and 800x available, plus 2400, Bullseye and Red Dot.
    Don't have any 231 which was recommended by a friend. I have always used a VERY slight crimp, just enough to take out the bell. I'm thinking about trying a heavier crimp to see what that does, however I just got done disassembling 250 rounds tonight. I've saved a couple of hundred to try the crimp, but can't before tomorrow. Thought some of you might have an insight.

Boolit Master
    +1 for Promo 4.5 gr. under a 200 gr boolit. Using Lyman 452630 I chrony 838 fps (avg) with my CZ 97B. Accurate and econiminal.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Chrono'd it this morning. First clip avg. velocity 835.6. Second was 862.
    This is mixed headstamp brass that's been fired many times in this gun over the past 12 years. All powder dropped from a Harrell's powder measure. Practiced with my digital scale and found I got the most consistent powder drop with a double tap at the top of the stroke. extreme spread was about 39 fps in each clip and that was reflected in the accuracy of powder measure to meter Promo (Red Dot direct substitute. Meters better then Red Dot).Still less then 5% variation in exterme velocity and accurate to minute of 10" gong at 100 yards.
    I used to use AA#5 but I would have numerous FTF after 50 rounds because of the combo of carbon, unburned powder and lube buildup.
    I've been using Lars45's BAC and there has been absolutely NO leading and the barrel shines even around the unburned AA#5 powder.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master

Ronnie, it sounds like you need a decent crimp on that load to get pressures up to where all the powder will burn. Bullseye and Red Dot are more easily ignited and require less pressure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I re-crimped a box of them tonight but will have to wait to get back to the range in a few days to check them.

I think I'm also going to load up some with 700x and 800x to see what that does.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Anyone use HS7 or Win 571 for this purpose?
    Yep! Been using HS7 a lot in all my pistols. Especially in 45 auto with 200 and 255 I can get you the load data if you need it. Todd
    Last edited by 3leggedturtle; 09-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I have known people to use 700X for target loads in the .45acp. I don' know about max. Loads.

Boolit Master
    I've run Lee and Miha's #68 clones over 6.3grn. H-Universal in my Kimber Eclipse the last several years. Bullets are WW or WW/shot with a little tin thrown in. I do cast, size to .452, heat treat at 400deg. for an hour and dunk them. My Kimber does like them heat treated better than not.
    I've run it in all makes of brass but always with CCI 300's. It does clock right on 960fps, per Hogdon's data.

I finally got a chance to see how they did on "meat" a while back. A couple trapped hogs were the target. Range was 10'. One 275lb. piggy took one right between the eyes, bullet came out his throat. The other was a smaller 100lb unit. He was broadside and I popped him through the shoulders. Went clean through. It was a little pig and he was close, but I made sure I hit a lot of bone and it sill went through (he flopped over immediately, btw). Stuff like that makes me wonder why I'd need 230's..........

Boolit Bub
    my question is are u sizing & lubing or Pcing?

Boolit Master
    Sizing to .452, heat treating @ 400deg for an hour and water quenching, then lubing with 50/50.

The target load that my friends and I always used was 5.5 gr.Unique with the 200 gr. SWC bullet.We never needed more than that, and I occasionally used that load in the 45ACP to shoot at 100yd targets, and even the 300 yd gong. I hit it a couple of times too.
    If you want a self defense or hunting load 5.9 to 6.2 gr Unique are appropriate. Just be sure that the bullets have not been sized down too far. It is a cast bullet and will size happily and safely on its way to the rifling. Undersized lead is the primary cause of leading in the bore. Good luck: Brodie

Boolit Bub
    Hornady and Speer were selling their SWC 200s long before I began loading in 8th grade. Any of their books will have info. I always used Unique for non-magnum handgun loads. Just less worrisome than a double load of bullseye in the case.

Still hard for me to believe so many don't own even one loading manual. So much great info at your fingertips. So much to learn just from comparing data.

Boolit Master
    I have severe arthritis in my right wrist and load down as much as I can. My bullet is the Lee 452-200 SWC clone of the H&G 68. I modded the mold by milling the top down enough to remove the bevel base and it drops a 190gr flat base with range lead. Load is 3.1 grs of Bullseye and to get function I use a 10 pound recoil spring. Before I had issues with my wrist I used the 200 gr RCBS version with 4-4.5 grs of Bullseye and the factory spring (16# IIRC). I like Bullseye as it meters well and is cheap, usually less than $19 a pound. Figure my cost is 4 cents a pop and accuracy is as good as I am capable of (reliably hit 10 inch gong at 50 yards).

Boolit Buddy
    4.5 Bullseye is accurate, easy on the gun and shooter with either a 200 or 230 cast or plated projo.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    45 ACP,4.7 grains of 700X , 200 grain RNFP Lee boolit, shoot wonderful. Powder coated of course!!!! Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy

3.9 gr. Of VV-N310 under a 200gr. H&G type SWC. Shot well in my Kimber Hero and Colt Commander.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123