RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: I've picked up a few molds lately and need some help.

Boolit Buddy

I've picked up a few molds lately and need some help.

Have bought a bunch of stuff lately and many items I am going to sell but I have gotten a 358 495 wadcutter that is a hollow base...but has no hollow base pin. Just wondering if Lyman made a hollow base 358 495. I also got 2 32 caliber molds for 32 L and H&R mag. neither has a hollowpoint pin. I could maybe make a hollowpoint pin but I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect . The hollow base pin is probably more precise in size. If they made a hollowbase mold is there someone on the forum who can make the pins. The 38 mold isn't a real big deal but wouldn't mind trying it as a hollow base turned around. The 32s I would really like to be able to use. Thanks for reading and any help I can get. BTW any of y'all make shot?

Boolit Grand Master
    Hollow point pins aren't all that difficult to make, as long as you have a rod the correct size for the hole in the mold. I made one years ago for a 358429HP and if memory serves, I used a piece of 1/8" brazing rod for the pin. It worked, but trying to cast a significant number of boolits with the Lyman style HP molds is an exercise in frustration.

I will admit that I had a Lyman 457122HP mold on hand to use as a guide.

I'm almost ready to buy a Forster hollow pointing jig and just drill any HPs if I get the urge for more expansion than soft lead gives.

Robert

If you have a lathe or even a drill press, it shouldn't be too hard to make one.
    You might try getting the shaft of it from a bolt that has a long shoulder.

When I do something like that, it takes 2-3 tries before it comes out right.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

With out a pin of some sorts you can use them. But a pin shouldn't be hard to make. A piece of rod that fits the bore and squared end will allow flat based or non hollow points. Actual hollow Base or hollow point pins should be turned in one set-up and the locking collar is going to set everything.

The lyman set up is like a drill bushing the pin is inserted and twisted to lock in place under a screw head. Are the screws still there?

I would need more info and dimensions to tackle this better would be the moulds to get the dimensions I need to work to. I also dont have any hardwood to make the handles from.

Boolit Master

PM Buckshot, he’s a member here and hollow points moulds and does other machine work. I had him HP a mould for me several years ago- excellent workmanship and turnaround time.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master

Buckshot retired a fews years back - Hollow Point Mold Service can do it for you - Easy to find by just a search
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replys. I thought there was some here that used to do the HP work.... I could probably make the HP pins but the lock mechanism kinda throws me. Thinking on the Hollow base mold I'll probably sell it. I'll never really shoot that many and I can buy what I need. The HP molds are both 32s and since I have 5 or 6 32's I'd like to use 'em hard to buy them. skeet

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman made the 358-395, 148 grain, 38 Caliber, hollow base, wad cutter. They were somewhat popular in the 30's -- the 50's, but a single cavity doesn't cut the mustard when you are shooting thousands of boolits a year. By the 1960's, they had pretty much faded from the scene.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Is lathesmith Still around? He use to make all sorts of stuff, mostly H&I dies. Might give him a shout out.
    Big Bore = 45+